Bad shape for mapping?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Bad shape for mapping?

Post by Barbie »

Maybe someone of you has noticed the deadly void areas in MH-D2 ("...left a small crater"). I was curious what happens there and was able to break down the problem to the ball like shape the mapper has used (multiple times). Furthermore if you move the camera around in UnrealED, the textures look distorted at some spots (see red ellipse at picture) and "jump" around. I noticed such effect already on none planar surfaces, but these look even.
Is such a shape generally not usable? (Test map is attached; I put a pylon at one void area.)
Attachments
MH-D2-reduced.unr.zip
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
MH-D2-reduced.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Re: Bad shape for mapping?

Post by Renegade »

That's a hall of mirrors (HOM) effect. This article is a long read, but has a lot of useful info: http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue1ue2-bsp/
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Thanks for that link (I already know that page). In the meantime I've noticed that the mapper has used brush scaling in a massive way: 912 of 1022 brushes are scaled. If I make the scaling permanent, the strange texture effects in the editor and deadly area vanish. So it is not a matter of the shape but of the "PostScale".

PS: In the above attached map I forgot to save it after placing the pylon. Just run around in that height where the PlayerStart is located.

PPS: Also PrePivot is used at 791 brushes (shown in T3D format), but I cannot find a function in UnrealEd to modify that. Is there a function for it in UnrealEd at all?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You would need to edit it with that command line so you get the "none" property, pre pivot is in that.

I forget the command line, and am not sure how if the brush that is already placed, unlike an actor class.

I think it's,,,,,,,,,,, edit actor class = actor class

Not sure if you can plug a placed brush for the actor class.
But you can see pre pivot for actors doing that, under, "none"

editactor class=engine.brush

Not sure how I got the brush, but had a brush5, brush7 , I think you just click on the brush, then type the command.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:You would need to edit it with that command line so you get the "none" property, pre pivot is in that.
This is also described in the wiki, but nothing really worked for me except the way with the T3D format ("Method 3").
Another question is: How did the mapper change that value? I guess he used another editor version where PrePivot can be accessed directly. (BTW: the map SP-Enslaved2 (see Enslaved for UT) has also Brushes with PrePivot != Null.)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think they use some external program to make brushes that don't align with UT specs it the problem.

I can't seem to get other brushes, I wish there was a way to use editactor on brushes, and not the working brush.

There has got to be a way syntax for the command line one would think.
Been trying edit object, I thought it was possible after chatting with some good mappers way back, but it might only be UT2004

Just seems like there should be a line to edit all the brushes at once, or select one.
I worked on that caveescape3 map, was a nightmare, but that had some really weird brushes messing up bigtime.(Unreal 227i gold)

I sent it to the author after huge amounts of work, so no one has it but me and him, never asked if I could upload it.
He did email me back, but I never asked him. So much wrong with that map, I started out only because it would not save a game, crash crash, then the editor had the "model"(s) problem crashed on rebuilds, and the other reason was to get rid of his "Mylevel.utx"

But I would like to see his brushes in the "none" property , and even some of my own maps.
Binary Space Partitioning