Map Edit for anybody

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Map Edit for anybody

Post by EvilGrins »

Here's a random notion (while folks are kicking around ideas) but what about the DeadCity maps for MH?

Would this be a good template for a new one of those?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

This look nice, I will make a version for us, its big so about 500 monsters will fit, I can upload here laters if some is interested...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Hitman wrote:I can upload here laters if some is interested...
Please do!
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Oh but not before me!!!! I'm almost done with the first Pre-Alpha. It still has only a small part of the full map campaign (because a large level's course is like a CAMPAIGN!!! CHAMPAGNE!!! CHAMPIGNON-- ok, not that...) and it already has some funny playtime. :P
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Gustavo6046 wrote:Oh but not before me!!!! I'm almost done with the first Pre-Alpha.
...and looking forward to it, but there's no order here. Like it says in the subject line, this is for anybody to do.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Been awhile.

Is anybody working on this?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Maybe somebody who likes sudden BSP holes, flickering walls, chaotic map (hunting in all directions with no doors to open or a button to push) is loving it intensive... Who knows ? I prefer to waste time with my stuff...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It really is broken, seems like they used another program to make brushes, the skybox is messed up bad.
It would be better to load it and place your own brushes to copy it from scratch.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I studied it a bit trying to figure why were developed BSP holes...
[attachment=0]MajorBSP.PNG[/attachment]
After what I could see and my current lousy level of experience, this is a SICK thing, not to mention semisolids passing through such BSP cut and... other semisolid intersected with some solid and other passing through void.... So to speak, a mapper with experience and a sane mind will not waste time here, at this stage, it's completely compromised. This type of structure is not for UE1 is all I have to say.
This is not my way of doing a "map".
Attachments
MajorBSP.PNG
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well at least we know BSP really has cuts, slashes, stabs, to bad that map isn't good, it had it's good points. :cry:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

One of good points is preventing to have an usable area around such things BSP cuts - especially if you have semisolid stuff added there. I found some info where such a major BSP Cut is not a good thing and even showing the cause - a sick brush or something ugly done or the map build itself explained through pictures. In map which I do (last days I did nothing because of other works) I was solving some flickering walls issues by simply moving room affected in other location (brushes, lights, etc). Once moved the room I did not see anymore BSP Cuts blabbering around - because NO, they are not recommended to be like that - I was testing these. Semisolids are badly affected by such a CUT and like I said I WILL NOT USE solids - solids are more... "strong" they might be more resistant to a BSPCut "attack". Else a Pyramid type SkyBox used around was messing up stuff from a nearby room due to such a CUT, until I moved all SkyBoxes (yes I have more than one there) in other location - yeah, these are "benefits" of BSPCut-s.
For this "map" such a BSPCut probably has created more non-colliding walls around (it do requires a lot of time for full testing) because semisolids are even passing through such a cut, through void, through a solid, so I'm not surprised about my fall into a floor while I was trying to path map from inside the game directly and... operation went screwed. NO, this is not a way of building. I will not mention zones unexistent shown, but Editor dares to show 24 zones (wondering where are those the other 22 zones) - map is a charge for renders... Fixing this do takes probably more days of work and... I'm not interested to waste time. Mainly in maps with some flickering problems and such I could figure Huge BSPCuts making borked walls - Even I have such in 3072 map so I went to solids because... rules of 3072 would be broken by moving room - and... I did not build BSP for preventing dumb walls bugging - was indeed a nasty work.

Here, let's see options for Bot Support: Custom stuff making Bot to roam around because it doesn't have an area like an Assault type, it's more like a DM, you can move left-right-forward with no rules... As for SkyBox... it's better to not comment...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Solids are ok, I think of them as the large brushes with small poly count, the tiny smaller adds are for semi solids.

Since the whole thing is dependent on "adding" a brush inside a subtract which removes the outside walls you never see or not rendered.

however semisolids actually DO interfere with the subtracts, it isn't good to use those as a big add brush just to fill space. A 10 poly brush has no reason to save nodes.

So I am thinking semisolids are better utilized as an add brush for things to finish a map, not so much as making the main structure (other than steps-stairs)

Congrats on the green, you deserve it. :rock:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Getting over greenie things let me share what could figure about these brushes generally VS Editor logging...
While I did map simple not like this one at a moment I got nodes warning and I went confused about that presumed charge. After adding and linking a SkyBox suddenly nodes turned to normal limits. Now I really believe that Editor is badly crapping at maths. By doing nothing, but adding a skybox I got a good node count. Later it was telling again about a "hyperload", by adding other rooms and other skybox, nodes count went normal... What exactly is computing Editor ? This is a big "secret", is probably the same criteria as it does paths :loool:.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

copy and paste it all in a new editor, rebuild, see what happens
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Nothing improved, but probably a more borked SkyBox, that thing I guess does a major hit at BSP build in the way how is being done... walls flickering, some floor also not solid, more or less is just another duplicated saved mess.
Excuse me, but I think another time I'll try to get something from here - DM probably, not MH.