The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Post by Terraniux »

Good luck making a MH map with a 3072 limit. Thats the shortest MH map ever made. :lol2:

My main skill is MH mapping btw. Have a look at my portfolio, its in my signature.
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

No worries I'm working on a map having 10 Levels with Monsters and you have to clean all floors for ending it, Yeah 3072, This is Unreal Engine 1. Next, I'll bet on 1000$ that you won't win map in 10 minutes (maybe 12 hunters will do that) - I know what I have to do. Aside, take in account MH-DarkPass which takes around 2 minutes for play with 4-5 Bots and some downloads from servers takes 10 minutes - you won't get in game without files if server runs that map - game ends before join, and no, this map which I'm doing is not done that way.
After finishing contest I'll drop it out since it was mentioned default matches in rules - MH is not default, but I'll do a MH one as a reply for contest. Else, I take my time to understand lightning things because I intend to drop a MyLevel Soup in there if possible.
Trivia: I have even reserved space in case of a skybox at exit (End). So I'm lower than 3072:
Work in progress here >>>
[attachment=0]3072_Progress.JPG[/attachment]
Aside, before dropping it out I can send it to some MH interested admin/mapper/player for whatever improvements (if needs).
At this moment it doesn't show "Side Node Limit bla bla" build errors, it renders smoother, I don't have too much issues with map as much I have with creativity. My problem is mainly what to do with so much space, I'm not kidding, I really need to setup some ambience with some deco stuff because such a waste of space look nasty after only a cubing spree.

Now Map story:
El Presidente started to scan IP-s over Internet in hoping to find his team sent for building a Bunker for whatever amnesia with End Of World "news". But team while were building skeleton of bunker have been murdered by some Creatures which were capturing construction still in building stage. Due to guards installed on top, we can still silently teleport a team at base having mission to eliminate all threats returning bunker to El Presidente.
Warning:
Any resemblance to real facts or persons is entirely coincidental, so don't get mad if you see El Presidente in your server's log(s).

Other story:
Was related to a train - read well - a train map into 3072 because Unreal seems that has some stuff, but I think I need more experience and... I might release such 3072 even after 4 months because I'll bet the Earth won't explode and MH maps are welcomed anyway.
Attachments
3072_Progress.JPG
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

sektor2111 wrote:No worries I'm working on a map having 10 Levels with Monsters and you have to clean all floors for ending it, Yeah 3072, This is Unreal Engine 1. Next, I'll bet on 1000$ that you won't win map in 10 minutes (maybe 12 hunters will do that) - I know what I have to do. Aside, take in account MH-DarkPass which takes around 2 minutes for play with 4-5 Bots and some downloads from servers takes 10 minutes - you won't get in game without files if server runs that map - game ends before join, and no, this map which I'm doing is not done that way.
After finishing contest I'll drop it out since it was mentioned default matches in rules - MH is not default, but I'll do a MH one as a reply for contest. Else, I take my time to understand lightning things because I intend to drop a MyLevel Soup in there if possible.
Trivia: I have even reserved space in case of a skybox at exit (End). So I'm lower than 3072:
Work in progress here >>>
[attachment=0]3072_Progress.JPG[/attachment]
Aside, before dropping it out I can send it to some MH interested admin/mapper/player for whatever improvements (if needs).
At this moment it doesn't show "Side Node Limit bla bla" build errors, it renders smoother, I don't have too much issues with map as much I have with creativity. My problem is mainly what to do with so much space, I'm not kidding, I really need to setup some ambience with some deco stuff because such a waste of space look nasty after only a cubing spree.

Now Map story:
El Presidente started to scan IP-s over Internet in hoping to find his team sent for building a Bunker for whatever amnesia with End Of World "news". But team while were building skeleton of bunker have been murdered by some Creatures which were capturing construction still in building stage. Due to guards installed on top, we can still silently teleport a team at base having mission to eliminate all threats returning bunker to El Presidente.
Warning:
Any resemblance to real facts or persons is entirely coincidental, so don't get mad if you see El Presidente in your server's log(s).

Other story:
Was related to a train - read well - a train map into 3072 because Unreal seems that has some stuff, but I think I need more experience and... I might release such 3072 even after 4 months because I'll bet the Earth won't explode and MH maps are welcomed anyway.
I've never seen you making MH maps?
If that is your first map, or if isn't , good luck man.
I know we had our differences throughout the years, but I wish you good luck on this one.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

My start was a DM one where I was experimenting "advices" from tutorials and also I experimented an attached mover.
Next one was MonsterArena one - NightDefence.
Next was also MonsterArena K_Rocketus - (mylevel stuff on purpose) pretty difficult playing with stock inventories.
This one is a... Probably a sort of map.

The truth is that I don't have a hobby for mapping but I think I can blow out some Levels (not that signed) puposedly to be attacked by anyone who want them for modifications. More stuff will be done after getting some skill related to design because I have all sort of ideas but Environment is main problem - matching that into ambient else it looks pointless.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@ALL ...the badge will be ready tomorrow.

Edit-------------- made a silly typo. It was late and I'd run out of coffee :ironic:
Last edited by papercoffee on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Isn't there's supposed to be an official logo for this contest that mappers need to put into their maps, like all the previous contests?
UnrealGecko wrote:• Regular gametypes (DM, DOM, CTF, AS)
Not to yank the floor out from under El Presidente, sekt... but according to the rules at the start of this thread there's no MH category.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

As it does not come by default, I do consider MH as a regular gametype these days in my pov.
If I was about to release an MH map for the comp it would be accepted as well I think.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:Isn't there's supposed to be an official logo for this contest that mappers need to put into their maps, like all the previous contests?
papercoffee wrote:@ALL ...the badge will be ready tomorrow.
:ironic:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@EG:
I know rules and that's why I'm saying "reply to contest" not map for contest, seriously, I'm not that good for participation at contest but roaming around won't hurt souls. Right ?
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

@papercoffee @unrealGecko WHERES THE BATCH WE WERE PROMISED A BATCH AHH :mad2:

:ironic: Do I have to quote you on what you said :o

(I'm not being super serious)
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

SilverSound wrote:@papercoffee @unrealGecko WHERES THE BATCH WE WERE PROMISED A BATCH AHH :mad2:

:ironic: Do I have to quote you on what you said :o

(I'm not being super serious)
YES you have ...I couldn't find the original file of the last contests (the PSD file) but now I have it.
Give me a few more hours.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Hi folks,

i want to participate in the contest just for the fun. Currently working on DM-3072-TyrsLair which is in an early state and not playable right now. Some major areas aren't designed yet and i'm working on a floor plan for the underground.

A small description:

TyrsLair is a small map for 1on1 deathmatches. This is based on a very old map i made 15 years ago, but this wasn't released. I liked the simple layout and it fits into the contest requirements. Style is medieval (i fucking love medieval style ^^) and is using a texture package from Wheel of time aswell as an own texture pack named "Tyr" which is a small rip off of Swankys textures for DM-TMC-Narean. The same package is used for my (still under construction) DM-Cathedral map viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6594. The layout is simple. The map will have three floors around of a center with a small tower. The tower contains an elevator to get on the upper floor. The upperfloor is also accessible via stairs. Same for the basement level (which doesn't exist yet. There is some z-axis fighting aswell. As a bonus, when it's finished i will publish my old base map for comparison. :)

Here are some screenshots. Keep in mind, it's in an early state:

Upper floor:

Tower area:

Inside the building:

Album for fullscreen images:

Cheers

Tyr
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

This medieval theme looks fantastic.

Don't forget to put the badge into your final map. :ironic:

Uhm...guys what's happening here?
I can't upload pictures any more.
The upload part under the write-editor is missing for me :???:

EDIT----------------------------------------
Then I use my picture uploader.

What do you think guys?
It's not resized and not converted into pcx (and masked).

EDIT----------------------------------------2
And here is the Badge as utx file.
http://filehorst.de/d/brcxrdpj
I hope everything went well.
Thanks to @Metalfist 's little tutorial :mrgreen:
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Thank you! It looks really good. :tu:
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I just tested your permissions @Papercoffee, and no file uploader visible.
Is any one else missing the ability to upload ?

I can see recent forum changesby Shade and Gecko in the logs but nothing stands out.
May have to ask "Shade"

and,
Ooooo very nice, I hope some people make a feature of the logo rather than cunningly place it.
A version prepared as a stained-glass window could make it more suitable in old style maps.