The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: The 3072uu Mapping Contest

Post by Eviltom »

I also had some masking issues with that texture. I could have fixed it if i was at work but couldn't sort it at home (old laptop!) So I cheated and put it on top of a cylinder! :lol2:
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Uhg, I've uploaded the .utx to my dropbox for the time being, you can get it here -> LINK that should solve the "omg weird site" issue until gekko adds it to the first post.

I may or may not enter this year, it kinda depends on how I feel so all I can give you is a definite maybe.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

OK, 1st post updated... updated list of participants and added the batch...

thinking I should start my map now... :ironic:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

UnrealGecko wrote:OK, 1st post updated... updated list of participants and added the batch...
Points to consider:
- MH is not in rules, I'm doing an attached MH nearby contest - consider it a majorette (badge) Level;
- Design will be poor due to MH itself - how much loaded is this game-type spamming its own resources, so for running smoother I prefer less details;
- I am not a mapper.

Give reasons mentioned (poor design and Non-Stock game-type) I'm not accomplishing participation conditions. Thank you for patience!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

@sektor2111 @Hitman

- Since we didn't have a discussion over what gametypes we should have, it is a little late to change it I think (unless more people think it should be changed, as I personally want Jailbreak added as well as MH, only then people will want Bunnytrack to be added too, which eliminates the bot-support part)... BUT I think for the mappack I'll allow both JB and MH maps, just the limit of 3072 and the batch will apply. Thoughts?

- There are some MH maps without too much spam and with some details (for whatever reason Derdak2rot comes to mind in that category :P ), but from what I saw in that pic you posted before, it looks ok. Sometimes overdoing the details can be bad as well (big hard to fix BSP bugs etc.)

- For a "not a mapper", you're doing good so far man. Only thing I would say atm would be maybe change a few minor details in each floor of that MH map to make them a little distinct from each other.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I have a question concerning the sticker you need to put into your map, should be use it like a watermark, or just put it in to verify (no matter where) your work?
This member can only post when permitted.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Doesn't matter where... can be as a billboard, a TV screen, in a secret part of the level, in a skybox... as long as it's in the map :)
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Ok, got it. 1 last question . I finished my work and am satisfied with he result. When and where should I put my submission?

Anyway here it is. : http://crystalunreal.com/Downloads/3072-Terraniux.rar

Readme is included.
This member can only post when permitted.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Hi folks,

beta version is up: (separate thread)

Currently tuning pickups (ammo, health etc.). Also some minor issues with lighting which will be fixed. I have some trouble during texturing some brushes. Sometimes if i copy a brush, the texture and alignment will be placed on the copy and the source brush. This drives me nuts!

I would like to hear some feedback. :)

Tyr
Last edited by Tyr on Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Released:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay then, do not cry for my design and setup (playing some MH2, MH504, etc.), each Level has to be cleaned by Boss(es) until walls holding hunters are going to explode releasing hidden Lifts access. Will be advisable to not crawl around monster's sacred signs where incantations and sounds are audible - it's a head loss risk. Last level has an electric panel, do not toy with electricity.
In current state I'm setting up monsters and difficulty things which needs tests - of course, it will be done much later, also rooms are not that high - some things will need to go in Mylevel for setting up monsters coming from Factories.
It looks like finally there are some polys (Editor log) but I see map running fine (mainly empty - not many monsters yet), perhaps before releasing I'm gonna send it to whoever wants to test/play it - Bot support is included and ready at this moment. SpawnPoints will not be in account for Navigation.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Well guys, I still say we shouldn't be putting the submission maps up on the forums until they are done. Yeah, I know you all think I am taking this too seriously, but as I said before, it's a "contest" and that implies individual competitive effort. I am not sure of the value of someone winning by implementing suggestions well.

Maybe we should call it a "mapping activity"? :P

Anyone else want to comment on this? Am I just being over the top? :noidea
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Map done for contribution.
Download: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11751&p=92223#p92223

Have fun. :)
Last edited by Tyr on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Released:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Carbon wrote:Well guys, I still say we shouldn't be putting the submission maps up on the forums until they are done. Yeah, I know you all think I am taking this too seriously, but as I said before, it's a "contest" and that implies individual competitive effort. I am not sure of the value of someone winning by implementing suggestions well.
Maybe we should call it a "mapping activity"? :P
Anyone else want to comment on this? Am I just being over the top? :noidea
I agree with you entirely - a contest is a contest and not a collaborative effort. AFAIK previous contests have not involved the seeking of, and implementation of, feedback on works in progress and nothing in the rules for this contest suggests that it differs in that respect from previous contests.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Tyr wrote:Map done for contribution.
Download: http://en.file-upload.net/download-1204 ... r.zip.html

Have fun. :)
@Tyr Nice map, good for 1on1 pure deathmatch! only criticism i would have (and its only aesthetic) is i don't like the reflective surface on the ramps between floors, it works everywhere else but the angled reflection makes my brain hurt, and camouflages the ramps so they are hard to see :ironic:

Also i have finished my map DM-3072-Scarlett's Echo...

A long abandoned communications outpost from a forgotten war, perched on a cliff above a Toxic sea converted into an arena for the Tournament.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h643y6alnotjf ... E.zip?dl=0
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

O RLY??
UnrealGecko wrote:Doesn't matter where... can be as a billboard, a TV screen, in a secret part of the level, in a skybox... as long as it's in the map :)
Well, this thought percolated with me a bit earlier today... and so I have taken the logo and "mapped" it onto something!
be afraid
It doesn't look like much, I admit... but my "map" can run around inside other people's maps and kill things!

Full team colors, 6 faces... I can't see any of you so you'll have to tell me if you're laughing right now or crying.
Enjoy · http://www.mediafire.com/file/xcbx13anu ... ogoMap.zip
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758