[WIP] DM-3072-Scarlett's Echo

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

[WIP] DM-3072-Scarlett's Echo

Post by Eviltom »

started my 3072 box level, enjoying the challenge, I'm aiming to make a fast flowing 1v1 DM level, with lots of routes flowing through it. some sort of facility perched on a rocky thing. I'm trying to get the most out of the z axis but its not easy in a small space!

obviously not textured or lit properly, just fleshing it out. think i will swap from a lava based skybox to water. I'm not feeling the lava.

Shot0038.jpg
Shot0039.jpg
Shot0040.jpg
Last edited by Eviltom on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: [WIP] DM-3072-no name yet!

Post by Eviltom »

Have been working on the lower area of the map, I got rid of the lave and have gone for a more rusty watery theme. i think its coming together quite well, but wish i had more free time to work on it! :omfg:
Shot0043.jpg
Shot0045.jpg
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Looks like it's coming together quite well. That ramp in the 2nd screenshot might need a support (pillar or something), as it looks like nothing is holding it :P
:gj:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

UnrealGecko wrote:Looks like it's coming together quite well. That ramp in the 2nd screenshot might need a support (pillar or something), as it looks like nothing is holding it :P
:gj:
Original I only put that ramp in to help test the level as I needed something there to get up to the building, but I quite like it now! So yes I need to make it have some actual structure! I usually try to avoid ramps like this as the sometimes look a bit naff, but this map is full of them, I even added some more last night :lol2:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGecko wrote:as it looks like nothing is holding it :P
Dude, it's the future.
Probably got some anti-graviton-zen type stuff going on
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Shot0046.jpg
making progress. 95% done with the layout... now for all the fiddly bits! lighting, movers, sounds, paths, etc. :ironic: in a rush to get this one done as work will be very busy in a couple of weeks. should have a testable version by the end of the week!
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Here you are making progress while I slack off and port turrets and things! lol. I'm sure I'll finish the detail on my map sometime. Looking really good so far too. :tu:
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I think open testing for a contest map isn't really a fair idea and kind of runs contrary to the whole idea of a mapping contest.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Carbon wrote:I think open testing for a contest map isn't really a fair idea and kind of runs contrary to the whole idea of a mapping contest.

It would help ensure quality of the maps if we are intending get to release it as a map pack. an official contest rule on open testing (yes or no) could clear this up.

I'm not too fussed either way, my map is a relatively simple dm level I can test myself.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Sure...after the contest is over, tweaks and fixes are made prior to the pack release. However, one aspect of the contest is showing the skills to release a final, working product. Otherwise, the map is more of a collective product and any chosen winning map wouldn't strictly represent an individual mapper's efforts. A map designed by committee can hardly be called anyone's map.

I brought this up last contest as well, where some of the maps were being 'reviewed' prior to being formally submitted. I don't recall specifically, but I think it was decided that maps being prepped for submission shouldn't be pre-tested.

Sorry...I know I'm coming off like a jerk, but I think fair is fair and a contest means presenting maps completed to the mapper's best ability.

My thoughts anyway. If everyone feels differently, then cool! :highfive:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Fair point and i agree about the map made by committee... This can also slow down the map making process as everyone has their own opinions/problems.

as long as people get a chance after the contest to fix any horrible errors then that would work. :tu:

like I said I'm happy enough to test my own map.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Mate, it looks great so far and I have complete faith in your abilities!! :tu:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Carbon wrote:Mate, it looks great so far and I have complete faith in your abilities!! :tu:
Not sure i do! Need to remember a lot of stuff I forgot 10 years ago. Pretty sure i can remember how to make a lift that works and bots can use! if not I will figure it out!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Wow, respect. That looks very cool :thuup: :gj:
This member can only post when permitted.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

getting there with texturing/lighting
Shot0052.jpg
Shot0053.jpg