MH-(_@_)_Stargates - SOLVED

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Aldebaran
Masterful

MH-(_@_)_Stargates - SOLVED

Post by Aldebaran »

I played a (_@_) Map recently which I found not bad but I had some issues with, it was MH-(_@_)_Stargates.
You have to find 7 chevrons before activating the stargate.
The first time I played it all 7 chevrons were found but the stargate could not be activated.
The second time I played it not all needed chevrons could be found, I have the suspicion that the kralls collected them.
I played another version of the map MH-(_@_)_Stargate_v1-umh too but had the same issues.
Should the map be fixed or have I overlooked something?
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: MH-(_@_)_Stargates needs to be fixed?

Post by EvilGrins »

When requesting a map to be fixed you should include 2 things:
1) A link to download the map.
2) At least 1 screenshot.

Technically you don't need the screenshot... but who doesn't appreciate pretty?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I do remember there are several other maps out there that are Stargates and they have more likely already been fixed? Or I'm not sure. I do remember on Unimatrix. @Sir_Mandrake

@Shade would there be any way to start tagging peoples and let them be notified?
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

DestinationUnreal Has 3 versions of that map:
http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... ap&id=1411
http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... ap&id=1412
http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... ap&id=1413

I'm pretty sure I've got that map, judging by the descriptions.

And this other one, for Team MonsterHunt:
http://www.destinationunreal.com/module ... ap&id=1688
Last edited by EvilGrins on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Download tested versions here:
http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Maps/ ... rgates.zip
umh-version:
http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Maps/ ... v1-umh.zip

There exist other completely different Stargate maps like MH-Stargate that have nothing to do with this thread.

Some pictures (first pic shows a chevron):
Attachments
stargates3.jpg
stargates2.jpg
stargates1.jpg
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Aldebaran wrote:I had some issues with, it was MH-(_@_)_Stargates.
I'd try version 1 MH-(_@_)_Stargate_v1.zip of it; maybe some errors are fixed there (the map of this archive has a md5sum of f3e5479c36119912640447a1ea3493e6).
Aldebaran wrote:not all needed chevrons could be found, I have the suspicion that the kralls collected them.
The chevrons are simply movers, once touched by a Player they move to the desk (see pic). A Pawn (Krall) can not activate ("collect") them. I did not find an error in the map setup for collecting the Chevrons. Do you remember which Chevron was missing?
MH-(_@_)_Stargate_v1-Chevrons-Keynum1.jpg
One chevron is hidden behind a box - maybe you simply did not find it?
Aldebaran wrote:all 7 chevrons were found but the stargate could not be activated.
For each collected Chevron a green button on the panel in the "controlroom" will appear; after 7 collected Chevrons the door to the "controlroom" will open (Mover70). Then you have to touch the 7 rods to activate Teleporter4 (the gate).
MH-(_@_)_Stargate_v1-Chevrons-Buttons.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Thanx, Barbie. The map MH-(_@_)_Stargate_v1 worked here at first go. :tu:
Barbie wrote:Do you remember which Chevron was missing?
I played it three times and two times one Chevron was missing, every time another one as far as I remember.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Re: MH-(_@_)_Stargates needs to be fixed? - SOLVED

Post by EvilGrins »

My problem with this map was never the chevrons.

It was always the lack of good bot pathing (they may follow me but they get lost) and when you do get through the gate you wind up in a BIG room with tons of monsters and no more ammo pickups.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Even if a Krall or your Pet is "collecting" chevrons, if map is properly set it should work - EVENTS, but not that much for movers. ELSE bTriggerOnceOnly and ReturnWhenEncroach is default dumb setup of these "mappers" addicted to MH which they won't learn in 200 years. If a lousy fly or such does encroach such a mover it will return and remains closed - just recall that Skaarj door problem. In MH2 I have a general function for movers which probably has more than 1 page A4 (and probably it's not ready), and if something goes wrong I will inspect Level. If Level is rammed in multiple points and cannot be fixed easy (null bytes which UT doesn't have, or shit done with other "programs" for UT) I'm removing map without to complain nowhere. The rest of maps goes on fixing list in free time - not gonna ask any author for a fix because they were clueless anyway and I did not see anyone returning to solve problems caused - maps were silently removed even from own servers and no one cares. Consider that majority of maps need to be fixed because movers are dependent on "mutator" fixation toward encroachment and moving rules.
To not consider me a strange freak with secrets, I'll quote my doing at Movers - it's probably a sort of love toward pathetic moving brushes (which were annoying Higor too).
Spoiler
MonsterBasePlus wrote:

Code: Select all

function fixmovers()
{
	local Mover M;
	local name Grp;
	local Trigger T;
	local Counter Cr;
	local Dispatcher Ds;
	local ScriptedPawn S;
	local int i;

foreach AllActors(class 'Mover', M)
	{
		if (M != None)
		{
			if ( M.StayOpenTime > AllowedOpen )
			{
				M.bTriggerOnceOnly = True;
				M.StayOpenTime=AllowedOpen/10; //Duh
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Mover"@M@"looks meant to Stay Opened"@M.StayOpenTime@"- bTriggerOnceOnly modification value > "@M.bTriggerOnceOnly);
			}
			if (bTweakGroup)
			if (M.InitialState == 'TriggerOpenTimed' && M.Group == M.default.Group)
			{
				M.Group = M.Name;
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Mover"@M@"has been set for group"@M.Group);
			}
			M.NetUpdateFrequency = 10.000000;
//			log ("Mover "@M@" updated to frequency "@M.NetUpdateFrequency);
//			log ("Mover "@M@"has been updated to bDynamicLightMover ="@M.bDynamicLightMover);
			if (M.MoverEncroachType == ME_CrushWhenEncroach && !M.bTriggerOnceOnly)
			{
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Mover"@M@" is crusher. Demanding Pawn kill.");
				M.BumpType = BT_PawnBump;	//If I was killed why Bot need to not be killed, even is blocked, fag ?
				if (M.EncroachDamage <= 0)
					M.EncroachDamage = 5000000;
			}
			if (bDoPawnOpen)
			{
				foreach AllActors (class 'Trigger', T)
				{
					if ( T != None && T.Event == M.Tag )
					{
						if ( T.TriggerType == TT_ClassProximity && bReplaceMonsters )
						{
//						if (!ClassIsChildOf(SpawnClass, class'NsTournamentPlayer'))
							if ( ClassIsChildOf(T.ClassProximityType,class'ScriptedPawn') )
							{
								if (bMHLog)
									log (T@" is set for trigerring by"@T.ClassProximityType@"will be modified due to replacements required.");
								T.ClassProximityType = class'UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn';
							}
						}
						if(!M.bTriggerOnceOnly && T.InitialState == 'NormalTrigger' && !T.bTriggerOnceOnly)
							if (T.TriggerType == TT_PlayerProximity)
							{
								if (bMHLog)
									log ("Mover"@M@"looks meant for Player. Demanding Proximity changed.");
								T.TriggerType = TT_PawnProximity;
							}
					}
				}
			}
			foreach AllActors (class 'Counter', Cr)
			{
				if ( Cr != None && M.InitialState == 'TriggerControl' && Cr.Event == M.Tag )
				{
					if (bMHLog)
					{
						log ("Mover "$M$" is just shit with "$M.InitialState$". Will attack InitialState and Encroaching method to avoid other error.");
						log ("Being triggered by "$Cr$" with Event "$Cr.Event$", will be properly set.");
					}
					M.InitialState = 'TriggerOpenTimed'; M.MoverEncroachType = ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach; M.bTriggerOnceOnly = True;
				}
			}
			foreach AllActors (class 'ScriptedPawn', S)
			{
				if ( S != None && M.InitialState == 'TriggerControl' && S.Event == M.Tag )
				{
					if (bMHLog)
					{
						log ("Mover "$M$" is just shit with "$M.InitialState$". Will attack InitialState and Encroaching method to avoid other error.");
						log ("Being triggered by "$S$" without to mind console, will be properly set.");
					}
					M.InitialState = 'TriggerOpenTimed'; M.MoverEncroachType = ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach; M.bTriggerOnceOnly = True;
				}
			}
			foreach AllActors (class 'Dispatcher', Ds)
			{
				if ( Ds != None )
				{
					for (i=0;i<8;i++)
					{
						if ( Ds.OutEvents[i] == M.Tag && M.InitialState == 'TriggerControl' )
						{
							if (bMHLog)
							{
								log ("Being triggered by "$Ds$" having event OutEvents["$i$"]: "$Ds.OutEvents[i]$", without to mind console, will be properly set.");
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}

if ( M.bTriggerOnceOnly )
			{
				if (M.MoverEncroachType == ME_ReturnWhenEncroach)
				{
					M.MoverEncroachType = ME_IgnoreWhenEncroach;
					if (bMHLog)
						log ("Detected & Resolved a Mover Triggered Once With ReturnWhenEncroach >> "@M.name);
				}
				if ( M.InitialState == 'TriggerControl' )
				{
					if (bMHLog)
					{
						log ("Ass ? A mover with TriggerControl shouldn't be set bTriggerOnceOnly >> "@M.Name);
						log ("Attempt to fix mover state >> "@M.Name@" to TriggerOpenTimed.");
					}
					M.InitialState = 'TriggerOpenTimed';
					if (bMHLog)
					{
						if ( M.InitialState == 'TriggerOpenTimed' )
							log ("Successfully fixed.");
						else
							log ("Fixing failed !!!");
					}
				}
			}
			if (bFixGrabCmd)
			if ( M.bUseTriggered == True )
			{
				M.bUseTriggered = False;
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Detected & Resolved a Mover to not be cheated by GRAB command >> " @M.name);
			}
			if (bMHLog)
				if (M.bDamageTriggered)
					log(M@" >> is damage triggered");
			if (bDoCrushMover)
			if (!M.bTriggerOnceOnly && M.MoverEncroachType == ME_ReturnWhenEncroach)
			{
				M.MoverEncroachType = ME_CrushWhenEncroach; //Camping under lifts bad idea for lamers :P
				M.EncroachDamage = 5000000;
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Detected & Resolved a Mover to not be turned back without to suffer a big damage >> "@M.name);
			}
			if (!M.bTriggerOnceOnly && M.DelayTime == 0 && M.InitialState != 'TriggerControl')
			{
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Mover"@M@" will have delay...");
				M.DelayTime = md; //Expect some ping reaction for NetworkPlay
			}
			if (bDoPawnOpen)
			if (!M.bTriggerOnceOnly && M.BumpType == BT_PlayerBump && ( M.InitialState == 'StandOpenTimed' || M.InitialState == 'BumpOpenTimed' || M.InitialState == 'BumpButon'))
			{
				if (bMHLog)
					log ("Mover"@M@"will be activated by any Pawn.");
				M.BumpType = BT_PawnBump; //Enhanced mover, LOL, monsters will use it to hunt you back :P
			}
		}
	}
}
It's an old function, indeed... And now do some imagination effort around this Mover code:

function FindTriggerActor()
{
	local Actor A;

TriggerActor = None;
	TriggerActor2 = None;
	ForEach AllActors(class 'Actor', A)
		if ( (A.Event == Tag) && (A.IsA('Trigger') || A.IsA('Mover')) )
		{
			if ( A.IsA('Counter') || A.IsA('Pawn') )
			{
				bPlayerOnly = true;
				return; //FIXME - handle counters
			}
			if (TriggerActor == None)
				TriggerActor = A;
			else if ( TriggerActor2 == None )
				TriggerActor2 = A;
		}
Actually Mover does not hit a counter. See that "//Fixme"?. I went to add my own counter which actually do works, but if this MH2 mod-mut is very spread, mappers will learn WRONG mapping because Counters doesn't work with movers and neither triggering Monsters. So if you have whatever Movers counted which don't do Counter hits, THIS is NORMAL (at EPIC - not for me). In Events chain are necessary participation of other triggers or actors able to work with Counter. If map doesn't have such things or Counter has a bad setup and/or Main mover is TriggerToggle and not bTriggerOnceOnly, then = Failure.
I can walk a bit through map for fixing purposes but I'm afraid to not get mad (old memories here).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote:when you do get through the gate you wind up in a BIG room with tons of monsters and no more ammo pickups.
That was the first thing I changed: disabling the PlayerStarts at Gateway's destination and adding some in Gateway's departure.

BTW: there is a SuperShockrifle in a tunnel below the destination gateway. Unfortunately the mover (door) has a wired setup, so it will not open. :loool:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:And now do some imagination effort around this Mover code
These two lines are really confusing me:

if ( (A.Event == Tag) && (A.IsA('Trigger') || A.IsA('Mover')) )
	if ( A.IsA('Counter') || A.IsA('Pawn') )
The condition "A.IsA('Pawn')" can never be true? If the condition of the first line is TRUE, A is either a Mover or a Trigger and can therefore never be a Pawn.

For the special treatment of Counter: have you got a guess why that one is excluded? Perhaps because of a missing Instigator?
sektor2111 wrote:I did not see anyone returning to solve problems
There are exceptions. On my search for MH-Terraniux I found the thread where the mapper who did the conversion described the bugs and tried to solve them. Considering the current map name "MH-Terraniux-Beta-47" he had done a lot of previous versions. :D
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not confused at all. If your mover is supposed to trigger a Pawn (Monster), and Mover is moved by a timed trigger actually there is not instigator for hate then monster can only start patrolling or such. The rest of No Counter Hit might be a lousy amnesia. I made another counter (not child of counter) and works properly with right conditions written, EPIC :loool: , including counting messages for every Player not only instigator.

Yes, in original map I see some events Tags "c1" "d1" which is exactly what I'm saying but... mapper was clueless at this point It's more easy usage of triggers used in timing with those Buttons (chewing gums chevrons). If this way do works is probably something rammed else Mover won't hit counter - because damn Mover is not friend of Counter and I should not fix that in particular.

This sort of fix will is not welcomed if player uses a "no tweaked" mod and map will work only in server A, and it does a break in server B.

The rest of pathing there is just to stupid for a fixing job, map looks truly ugly in some zone (it's a cubing spree not mapping there), so I have 0 zero interest in making it operational for me - as long as title said SOLVED then... Enjoy (including Playerstart16 - not used by default MH because 0 to 16 = 17 but someone has worst math flaws than me).