MH-Forbidden+ needs to be fixed?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Aldebaran
Masterful

MH-Forbidden+ needs to be fixed?

Post by Aldebaran »

Sorry, but I found a bug in an often played map so I decided to ask here for it.
MH-Forbidden hasn't the bug but the later version with more and stronger monsters MH-Forbidden+ has an invisible wall where you can go on the side but really not easy. Also a little graphic issue exist immediately after the invisble wall on the left side.

I found only the uz compressed file here:
http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=uz ... %2B.unr.uz

This picture shows where the invisible wall is (the thread cross shows it) after the big stone brokes down.
Attachments
forbidden.jpg
Last edited by Aldebaran on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: MH-Forbidden+ needs to be fixed?

Post by Barbie »

It's a BSP error (the diagonal cut in the tunnel, see image). If I take the original map "MH-Forbidden.unr" and rebuild it, it gets a BSP error at the same position. So probably the mapper of the original map (Kenneth "Shrimp" Watson) and the mapper of that "enhanced" version (Blackwolf) have used different settings for the build process.

Finding the reason for such an error can be a time consuming and frustrating process: you get always the chance that one or more other BSP will occur, if you have repaired one...
<EDIT>
Added mapper names.
</EDIT>
Attachments
MH-Forbidden+-BSPError.jpg
MH-Forbidden+-BSPError.jpg (70.06 KiB) Viewed 783 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

We all know what great things this Mr. Shrimp created...
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Chris wrote:We all know what great things this Mr. Shrimp created...
I don't know what you think but Shrimp was a pretty good designer - now days I see mainly stupid cubes in large areas only forcing engine with no purpose and ugly including stupidly bugged at geometry + paths are a S.F. story-
These "mappers" doing modifications were RE-BUILDING maps without reasons (Take MH-Frigate in account which is more messed up than original AS-Frigate map).
If I would put up a more challenging one and if map doesn't have major BSP problems I would KEEP IT as it is without mooing in Editor because that bug is visible and known, and I found it in 5 minutes and then... What the heck did the "mapper" for a few monsters added ? I guess he has a joy with a new hole brought into it, right ? Of course, I fixed it without making much noise - mutator won't fix these issues as is doable with movers - no credits for whoever bugged the good map.
But because you have quoted Shrimp see MH-CanyonSE and what other "geniuses" did...