[Final] 3072 The Insane Tower

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Re: [Final] 3072 The Insane Tower

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:...a word...
That issue consists of two parts:
1) The default value of FastSprocket.bStatic is TRUE. If you change that "constant" in UnrealEd to FALSE, that Actor won't be replicated to client:
Client's UnrealTournament.log wrote:Warning: SpawnActor failed because class FastSprocket has bStatic or bNoDelete
Warning: Actor not spawned for new channel
The solution is to subclass that Actor and set its default value of bStatic to FALSE. Furthermore RemoteRole should be set to SimulatedProxy instead of DumbProxy to have its rotation smooth. Finally bNetOptional can be set to TRUE to leave out replication if network traffic is heavy (although in my understanding nothing is transmitted after initialisation because Actor variables do not change.)

Just as a note: A fast replacement (< 3 min) can be done, if you create that sub class (e.g. "FastSprocketNet"), set its properties, export map to T3D, replace all occurrences of "class=FastSprocket" with "class=FastSprocketNet" there, delete ALL Actors in UnrealEd and import that modified T3D map.

2) Because the FastSprockets are behind (transparent) brushes (Brush149/151), they loose relevance if the viewpoint exceeds some distance (some dozens UU) and are not displayed then. (Maybe you already have noticed that in other net game play, that objects behind "glass" seems to vanish if you move a bit.) Instead of a brush you can use a (not moving) Mover to avoid this.

Another note: Rebuilding your map with UnrealEd2.0 creates massive HoMs at portal here. :omfg:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

The clock is very cool. I managed to get up close to check it out (before an MHPredator killed me) and all those internal gears working... beautiful!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote: Another note: Rebuilding your map with UnrealEd2.0 creates massive HoMs at portal here. :omfg:
That's why I made Unreal compatible with UT and linked in Unreal.ini to the UT resources.
Opened the map without problems and let UEd2.1 do his magic with the brushes.

So ...there is no easy solution to fix the clockwork for online play :| ...I don't even know how to make a sub-class.
And as far as I remember is the translucent "glass" a little bit smaller then the housing.
EDIT------------------
I remembered right... I did know somehow that meshes behind "glass" will not be rendered if there is no possible connection to the actual zone where the player is.
Spoiler
Zwischenablage01.png
EDIT-----------------end
EvilGrins wrote:The clock is very cool. I managed to get up close to check it out (before an MHPredator killed me) and all those internal gears working... beautiful!
:mrgreen: Thanks ...this clock took me nearly as long as the whole map fixing.
It was try and error to get a clue about what which command is doing ...the sprocket was rotating in any direction but not around it's own axis when turned 90° to the side.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:So ...there is no easy solution to fix the clockwork for online play
"Easy" is relative... If you know how, the two jobs are done within 5 min: right click on FastSprocket in Actor Class Browser, Select "New" and enter "MyLevel" as package and a unique name for the new Actor. Close the code window without anything typed, select the new Actor in Actor Class Browser, click "Default Properties" and set above mentioned properties. Then replace all FastSprocket by the new Actor.
papercoffee wrote:I did know somehow that meshes behind "glass" will not be rendered if there is no possible connection to the actual zone where the player is.
I doubt that and instead guess it's a matter of relevance.

To build two movers quick, select that Brush149, open Context Menu, select "Polygons to Brush", add a Mover and delete Brush149. Same for Brush151. Done.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote:Then replace all FastSprocket by the new Actor.
I have to replace them all manually??
*sigh*
Barbie wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I did know somehow that meshes behind "glass" will not be rendered if there is no possible connection to the actual zone where the player is.
I doubt that and instead guess it's a matter of relevance.

To build two movers quick, select that Brush149, open Context Menu, select "Polygons to Brush", add a Mover and delete Brush149. Same for Brush151. Done.
Have to find the discussion ...I think there was a thread where the Devil Fish was not visible in a tank because of that problem.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:I have to replace them all manually??
See this post, end of part (1):
Barbie wrote:Just as a note: A fast replacement (< 3 min) can be done, if you create that sub class (e.g. "FastSprocketNet"), set its properties, export map to T3D, replace all occurrences of "class=FastSprocket" with "class=FastSprocketNet" there, delete ALL Actors in UnrealEd and import that modified T3D map.
(Instead of deleting all Actors I'd now recommend creating a new, empty map.)
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote:
papercoffee wrote:I have to replace them all manually??
See this post, end of part (1):
Barbie wrote:Just as a note: A fast replacement (< 3 min) can be done, if you create that sub class (e.g. "FastSprocketNet"), set its properties, export map to T3D, replace all occurrences of "class=FastSprocket" with "class=FastSprocketNet" there, delete ALL Actors in UnrealEd and import that modified T3D map.
(Instead of deleting all Actors I'd now recommend creating a new, empty map.)
This confuses me even more ...Sooo I delete absolutely everything and the T3D file will bring back the complete map?
But, do I have to rebuild all again? ... I fear the UEd goblin.
Ok... I try your suggestion.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:Sooo I delete absolutely everything and the T3D file will bring back the complete map?
Yes, because all resources (Textures, Music, MyLevel'd Actors, etc.) stay in Editor's memory. So do not close it after you have loaded your map but just choose File>New and import the T3D then (the T3D file does not contain any code or external resources).
But, do I have to rebuild all again?
Yes. (From my experience it is best to rebuild a map if you have changed only a detail.)
I fear the UEd goblin.
What package is that in? :omfg: :ironic:
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Just got chance to play. Very well executed idea! Usually I'm good at controlling a map but I had no idea where I was and the bots destroyed me! Ha!
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Barbie wrote:
I fear the UEd goblin.
\System\Screw.u
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Eviltom wrote:Just got chance to play. Very well executed idea! Usually I'm good at controlling a map but I had no idea where I was and the bots destroyed me! Ha!
Good to hear this... it means I did the bot-pathing right. :mrgreen:
Tyr wrote:
Barbie wrote:
I fear the UEd goblin.
\System\Screw.u
:loool:
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I had some issues while playing the map. Suddenly I found me in an intermediate level in the air. Also sometimes my playing direction was changed and I fall down a floor. And before the game ends ut99 crashed without an error message. I think I played the newest version downloaded yesterday...
Apart from that it's a great map!
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Aldebaran wrote:I had some issues while playing the map. Suddenly I found me in an intermediate level in the air. Also sometimes my playing direction was changed and I fall down a floor. And before the game ends ut99 crashed without an error message. I think I played the newest version downloaded yesterday...
Apart from that it's a great map!
This sounds strange ... I thought I would have fixed the invisible wall/floor thing. Can you provide a screenshot or just describe where this happened?

Here in this post you get the latest version viewtopic.php?p=92499#p92499
The Map is renamed to TheInsaneTower.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I played the actual version of the map.
Here are some screenshots.

1. Showing the place where I actually stand on an invisible floor where I cant go back to the normal one.

2. Showing a place before entering the "warpzone"
3. Showing the same place shortly before entering the "warpzone", my weapon is hidden now automatically
4. Showing the same place after entering the "warpzone", without changing view direction with mouse I look now to a complete other direction.

5,6,7: Showing an other "warpzone" and the same effect as in 2,3,4.

One time when entering a "warpzone" my ut crashes without an error message.
Attachments
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Sequel of the previous post...
Attachments