Phantom Actor??

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Phantom Actor??

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello all:

I have a strange problem. I had a decoration actor "tube light" that I added, then later deleted from a map. It doesn't show up in the editor, but it's still there when I play the map. I can't delete it from the editor as it is not showing up there???

Thanks for any help.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Phantom Actor??

Post by EvilGrins »

You actually can delete it without seeing it, I had a similar issue with the M16silver rifle as it's invisible in UnrealEd.

1) Click on the binoculars.
2) Find the listing of your desired item and goto (double-click) on it.
3) Hit the delete key.
4) Save the map.

It's gone!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

AWESOME! It worked!!! Thanks Evil. Now how about a brush that is doing the same thing. It's very hard to find the correct brush as they are all numbered and with hundreds of brushes it's hard to determine which numbered brush it is. Any suggestions?? (I've tried selecting the most recent brush...highest number in the binoculars but that doesn't seem to be working).

Thanks again!
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

I am not versed in brushes, sorry.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

That's ok....I appreciate your help!!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:Now how about a brush that is doing the same thing.
Either use the wire frame view ("Perspective", ALT+1). If the brush still is not visible, make sure that all groups are displayed (View > Group Browser).

About the numbering of Actors: It seems that the editor maintains a counter that starts at 0 and is increased until a free number is found. If you now delete an Actor, that number is freed, but the counter still points to the last used number and is not reset. That free number will be used after closing and reopening the editor, and so the last added Actor has a number below previous added one.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Phantom Texture??

Post by papercoffee »

I have something similar with a texture in my current map ...I used it at the start but replaced it entirely with a different one of another texture pack. Now I see still this pack is loaded with exact this one single texture and I can't imagine where it can be. It must be on an invisible side of a brush. How can I find this texture and replace it? :noidea
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:How can I find this texture and replace it? :noidea
If I may suggest something insane?

1) Find the most obnoxious color you can, something that matches absolutely nothing.
2) Make it into a .utx and then rename it to the same name as the texture you wanna get rid of.
3) Overwrite the texture you hate with this obnoxiously colored one.
4) Go into the map after you save it, look for what that obnoxious color is.

Technically in mapping, if you replace a texture with a file of the exact same name the map won't know the difference and will use the replaced one.

It's kinda like Bpak.u in that everybody's got a different version of it but without overwriting yours for someone else's any map it's embedded on will still work on your system as it just uses your slightly different Bpak.u than the one it was made for.

Happy hunting.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote:
papercoffee wrote:How can I find this texture and replace it? :noidea
If I may suggest something insane?

1) Find the most obnoxious color you can, something that matches absolutely nothing.
2) Make it into a .utx and then rename it to the same name as the texture you wanna get rid of.
3) Overwrite the texture you hate with this obnoxiously colored one.
4) Go into the map after you save it, look for what that obnoxious color is.

Technically in mapping, if you replace a texture with a file of the exact same name the map won't know the difference and will use the replaced one.

It's kinda like Bpak.u in that everybody's got a different version of it but without overwriting yours for someone else's any map it's embedded on will still work on your system as it just uses your slightly different Bpak.u than the one it was made for.

Happy hunting.
Thanks ...but this won't help if you sunk the brush already and have now an invisible side where this texture could be. :wink:

EDIT----------------------------------------------------
FOUND IT ...it was used in the only brush I made for the boundaries just to throw it away when I am finished with the main work. I created a 3072uu³ non-solid brush and this brush got an texture by accident. Grins give me a nice facepalm smiley.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:How can I find this texture and replace it?
Fortunately you've already found it; for the next time an option would be exporting into T3D and doing a text search for the name of the texture to find the brush(es) using it.
Example
Begin Actor Class=Brush Name=Brush581
CsgOper=CSG_Subtract
[...]
Location=(X=-4320.000000,Y=-3648.000000,Z=-2144.000000)
Begin Brush Name=Model89
Begin PolyList
Begin Polygon Item=Wall Texture=Greypnlca Flags=32768 Link=0
Origin +00278.477295,+01400.000000,-00225.000000
Normal +00000.382683,+00000.923880,+00000.000000
Pan U=-22 V=0
[...]
End Polygon
Begin Polygon Item=Wall Texture=Greypnlca Flags=32768 Link=1
Origin +00793.036377,+01186.862793,-00225.000000
[...]
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks Barbie. The "View > Group > Browser" did the trick!!! :gj: :tu: :rock:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

To not make some "mapper" mad, Once I found a map calling a stupid texture file which I could not figure where was used in map. Then, I went to check package and I found what was about - NOTHING related to that map - just a lousy thing added ( probably drugs effect ). I searched Texture and I replaced it with something from Level (wall, floor, etc) then, "OBJ GARBAGE" then "Save As", File went away I have deleted it even from drive, map was operational without "packages". Else there are some hints in detecting an area with problems. Some debugging toward a nasty zone heavy to see it in Editor and which need time to check.
In game command "report" - open Notepad and choose "PASTE", keep an eye there. Open map in editor, add a decoration known but not used in map (see FindActor) select that decoration and edit properties - put coordinates X,Y,Z from text file - now go find decoration using menu, you'll figure it in area where you were playing. More easy than exporting 12 MB Map in T3D.
I'm not wasting time with exports and text editing...
Barbie wrote: That free number will be used after closing and reopening the editor, and so the last added Actor has a number below previous added one.
Te he, I have re-wrapped more times such things, example MonsterEnd12. Why 12 and not 0 ? I deleted end, purge garbage, save, close editor, open editor and map, add MonsterEnd, now it's 0. Also I'm using to wrap even InventorySpots from 0 when I'm pathing Map. I like things organized.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Grins give me a nice facepalm smiley.