[Terrain] How to accomplish this?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Tyr
Skilled

[Terrain] How to accomplish this?

Post by Tyr »

Hi,

for my next map, i want to create some terrain, but tesselated cubes or the standard terrain tools doesn't fit my needs.

Revelation has build up some nice terrain in one of his maps:

If you look at the frame you see a more or less chaotic structure how faces are build. So, how do you build this type of brush? Is it an imported one from a third party tool?

Thanks

Tyr
Released:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Re: [Terrain] How to accomplish this?

Post by makemeunreal »

Lemme redirect you to Pla a friend of mine.
He does magic like this.
http://unrealsp.org/memberlist.php?mode ... file&u=691
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Iv always made terrain like this with brushes in ued, make a large cube then fill build your terrain with a combination of tesselated cubes and extruded 2d shapes. Then de-intersect the void into a new brush. its hard to get your head around at first and requires some planning but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You just need to make sure the brush you end up with is made of neat triangles. It helps to work with a large grid. I find 64 a good size. I can send you an example of how I do it but I'm away with work for at least 3 more days!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

If you want to stay with Ued, use intersected tesselated cubes, then manually edit each vertex node. I think Revelation used Maya or a comparable 3d tool, though.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

There are also tools around for making quickly a terrain, user friendly aswell. I believe I still have them on my hdd somewhere. Although the thing that the person up of me says is the best way, which makes eventually the best shapes.
But I believe there are plenty ways to make terrain, it just depends on what your making.
This member can only post when permitted.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

Swanky wrote:If you want to stay with Ued, use intersected tesselated cubes, then manually edit each vertex node. I think Revelation used Maya or a comparable 3d tool, though.
The problem with tesselated cubes is, you have to be sure in which direction the face is divided. On default, the face is divided from top right to bottom left. Sometimes you need the opposite direction, but you are tied to make this decision before you start vertex editing the intersected brush.

A simple "Split face" button would solve this easily.

I have used TerraGen for some tests, but the z-axis isn't clean on the grid so it's causing BSP holes.
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I think, Creavion build terrain with single triangle planes. node for node in UEd.

I created a canyon map with the tessellated cube method. CTF-XMC-NorthernLights it worked but needed some heavy preplanning. :ironic:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

My friend Pla makes awesome terrains out of 1 single brush. The brush is made in 2D shape editor usin' triangles. That's pretty much all I know.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

makemeunreal wrote:My friend Pla makes awesome terrains out of 1 single brush. The brush is made in 2D shape editor usin' triangles. That's pretty much all I know.
Do I understand this right? He uses the 2D shape editor and prefab the whole terrain with it???
But he is doing it in UEd2.1, right? Because in 2.0 is this tool highly unstable.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

He uses the technic Epic used back then I believe. Because the terrain brush looks pretty similiar to what Epic's terrains look like.
And yes, he uses the editor came with the 227 patch.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ah, ok ...makes sense. Never tried it. maybe interesting to experiment with it in one of my next projects. (not for the contest)
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

papercoffee wrote:I think, Creavion build terrain with single triangle planes. node for node in UEd.
This would be my preferred method. But i can't make triangles that aren't solid. Maybe i missed something here. :roll:
Released:
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I tried it right now ...open the 2D shape editor and delete one of vertices ...hit the "create sheet" button and you have a triangular sheet. But don't set a check mark on "two sided" keep this free. The visible part for where you walk on and the invisible part for the void or the inside of that shape. Set up a huge builder room and create your terrain parts there.
For me its highly complicated and I think creating terrain outside in a third-party tool might be the better solution. Or using the tessellated cube method.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Build them yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3934
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

papercoffee wrote:I tried it right now ...open the 2D shape editor and delete one of vertices ...hit the "create sheet" button and you have a triangular sheet. But don't set a check mark on "two sided" keep this free. The visible part for where you walk on and the invisible part for the void or the inside of that shape. Set up a huge builder room and create your terrain parts there.
For me its highly complicated and I think creating terrain outside in a third-party tool might be the better solution. Or using the tessellated cube method.
I tried this. I can't walk on created sheets. I didn't checked "Two-sided".
Higor wrote:Build them yourself.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3934
Thanks, i take a look. :)
Released: