Questions (SP Maps, Monster - Bot AI).

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Skellethorn
Novice

Questions (SP Maps, Monster - Bot AI).

Post by Skellethorn »

So with the contest around I decided to learn how to map, I won't make it in time for the contest but I still want to do something. I want to add monsters to the maps I make sometimes, however, the normal monsters when placed on a map won't attack bots and bots won't attack them, they only seem aggresive towards me. How can I change this? Which changes do I need to make to them to be able to use them on a map as if they were Monster Hunt monsters?
Also, how can I make an Single Player map? Which changes do I have to make from my normal mapping to make sure my map is good for single player?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Questions (SP Maps, Monster - Bot AI).

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm a little fuzzy on why bots are ignoring them and why they're ignoring bots... unless are you talking team games where this happens? There's something of a precedent where bots on the red team under standard gametypes (CTF DM DOM AS) don't notice monsters even when they're being attacked by them.

What kinds of monsters have you tried placing?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

It's time for another X × 200 explanation why bot and monster doesn't develop much fight without "push codes", keep trying...

During this time if you read forum a bit, you'll find XC_Engine thread describing something about "SetEnemy" tweaking for monster (if memory doesn't cheat me :ironic: ) - probably Higor doing that fix couldn't sleep well or such, right ? BAAH, if a man was working to fix something it's because has bugs not because has pink colors, we have debated this toward MH game-type which has a "push code". By removing that integrated MH tweak, simply "monster from MonsterHunt" (default monster if you did not know that) wouldn't attack nothing else than themselves and... player - nothing else, not even a Biterfish which bites even monster when it falls in water during combat.
The rest of monster errors from default games make admins to remove monsters - Botpack does this by default until settings are changed, because DM is not MonsterHunt and neither guarding server against Monster "great activity".
EvilGrins wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on why bots are ignoring them and why they're ignoring bots...
Because of this
SetEnemy wrote:

Code: Select all

if ( (PlayerPawn(NewEnemy) == None) && (ScriptedPawn(NewEnemy) == None) )
		return false;
English explanation at quote from SetEnemy: If that new enemy is not a human player and is not a Monster turn false the attack.
So wait Christmas maybe monster will react someday... Credits for above mess goes at Epic and fixing goes at Higor and others, and the rest of community members doing fixes at their monsters (not all of them, no worries).
The only ass attacking at immediate bump from Bot is Skaarj, randomly, it feels annoyed if someone is farting around it.

On other side Bot vs Monster. Well, actually Bot can only hear monster because "SeePlayer" function is not called for Monster. Bot reacts at stimulus based on WarnTarget (feels a weapon aiming at it), HearNoise because he cannot see enemy too much at first ambush.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's controlled through the "gametype" so if you made a "coop" map, compare to a DM map compared to a MH map, or like Teams for CTF, all come from the gametype.

You probably know, but, in the UED menu, under view, look in the "map info" and find the gametype, the gametypes are in "info" when you open the actor browser.

If it is set and they are acting weird, then you have some mutator or messed up files making it act up away from default.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Or it is not really controlled all the time. By example SP allows map setup in more ways and it doesn't push A.I. nowhere, the same as DM, in DM we don't have that much A.I. control activity. In exchange Teamgames involves a bit of teaming features, but there already several things are wrong by default (see random logs from TeamGamePlus). Life goes nasty at using creatures without having the right controller to manage A.I. activity. For default game-types presence of monsters doesn't help at all - I suggest to let admins to spawn unpredictable stuff for being more various. Indeed I'm using monsters in my games having controllers rewritten, but monsters from map are removed. Do you know why ? Because default monster has less things to do with teams and it needs a lot of controlling codes for making it nice including codes to stop self kills and team kills because this is ScriptedPawn in its raw format.

Around chapter - a little walk-through:
I give you an example of a nasty thing while I was writing my team monsters. Titan is throwing rocks. A Titan is in Red team and other in Blue Team. The rock code doesn't do damage to a Titan from any kind (nothing to do with team). Results: a trash fight between two idiots unable to hurt each-other in RangedAttack - if they attack each-other somehow - and now we can happily recall UTDMT with nothing changed at this point - except my UTDMT without duplicate package distribution (two U files and one of them renamed UTX being a nonsense). And then Sliths, unable to corrode each-other and other similar "features", SkaarjProjectiles and the rest. These are badly screwed up - team related - by default. The rest of codes are not that Net Ready as supposed...