Emergency Lights

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Emergency Lights

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello all:

I have this trap box that is triggered by a switch. I have red lighting set up that spins like an emergency (ambulance or police). However I only want the light to light up and spin when the trigger is hit (and last for the duration of the trigger switch). I'm not sure where that can be set in the lighting properties?? I have the event "tagged" the same as the switch. What else do I need to do to make it happen? Any ideas?
Thanks
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Emergency Lights

Post by Red_Fist »

Try "trigger control" I think triggers have that setting. if not use a small mover, after it times out the light will go off. but I think triggers have that setting as well.

There are several ways to do that.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Still working on it.....the lights are tied to the trigger that activates the emergency door, but the lights still stay on all the time....more trial and error.....
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Trigger light works if is properly set. I'm using such things for some explosions (default lightning seems too wick so I'm completing things), also I have such things combined for developing electricity effect and "ignition type" explosion. In simple cubes try to figure ho do they work depending on "InitialState" settings, they don't work if are left as they are in default - it's mapping option how to look that light. Also I was looking for some real fire light effect for torchflame but it seems that I have to customize some light in purpose to gain something more good looking. Nwm, next contest or another time I'll dig for some light algorithm.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Loose Cannon wrote:Still working on it.....the lights are tied to the trigger that activates the emergency door, but the lights still stay on all the time....more trial and error.....
The other way is use two lights, make one light zero bright, and toggle between the two. kind of a funky way.

But I am pretty sure, set the trigger light to trigger control, I dunno, I would need to do a quick test map, but it's not hard to do.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Due to Unreal "Touching" (- duplicated at a moment - add messages at a default trigger and see how are showing on screen ). I recommend a dispatcher where you can set some timing with a sound or whatever.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Got it to work with "trigger light" and a trigger. However, for some reason it won't turn off once I switch it on with the trigger. Not sure of the setting I need to change....only want it to light up for about 10 seconds....and be repeatable.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

OK, trigger gives event to mover, mover gives event to trigger light set to trigger control.

You step into the trigger, starts the mover-event, mover turns on light up until the mover goes back to keypoint zero.

In other words, with the trigger light set to trigger control I have to stand in the trigger all the time to see the light.

So if you trigger a mover, the mover will send the event to the light as long as the is mover time it takes to get to keypoint 1.

When it goes back to keypoint zero, the light will go out.

Like I said there are other ways, but I like to stay away from perfectly "timed" things.
it might work without the mover if you know or have a specific time using retrigger delay. so the trigger will not be able to be triggered until the delay lets you re trigger it.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Got it! Thanks Red Fist. Problem was the light was set to Trigger Toggle and not Trigger Control. Thanks for your help!!!