Triggered Sound

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Triggered Sound

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello Everyone:

In a previous thread, you all helped out a lot on setting up a trigger for a light. Now I'd like have a sound that is triggered with the light as well. I added a "special event" with the same tag. It sets off the correct sound, but it never turns off once it's triggered. Should I not be using a special event actor?

Thanks!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Triggered Sound

Post by sektor2111 »

Do not use loop sounds ?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

The TriggerLight itself can be "misused" as a triggered AmbientSound. See Wiki: Triggering Sounds for details.
Other possibilities for triggered sound are described there, too.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for the link Barbie. I tried using trigger ambient sound making sure static is false....didn't work. I did a little more research and apparently using TAS never worked for anyone...back to the drawing board.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For a simple sound running once based on some map event I'm using SpecialEvent - it can kill, can broadcast messages, can do sounds local or in all players. Else, triggerlight might work with some light effects too, is not that limited as described there. Electricity effect flickering aggressive for 1 seconds then it can be properly turned off.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Sektor,
It doesn't matter if it's a looping sound or not...it won't turn off once it's triggered. :evil:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I never used triggered sounds.
For what do you want them? May I help? :D
Defining the context can help since the specificness can help further. Make sure you keep the window open for people that ask for similiar help in the future! ;)

P.S. I'm a sound and you JUST MADE ME

"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Loose Cannon wrote:Sektor,
It doesn't matter if it's a looping sound or not...it won't turn off once it's triggered. :evil:
You'll see my MH map and how I did some incantations killers (just for kamikaze players) also an electric panel. Electricity won't sound forever, no worries... Until that moment I'll give you a hint (for free of course) >> think at a Dispatcher... :wink:
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

For Arcturus i tried playing an alarm sound if someone picked up the shieldbelt. After 5 seconds, the alarm should stop and start if the next shieldbelt is taken. I was an the same spot, it got played but never stopped so i gave up the idea. ^^
Released:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Why don't I believe this is a problem, the whole idea IS to play a sound, then stop, not "ambient".

Works on every map, like the creaking wood planks and tons of things.
All I can think is you are taking the event from something not good.

I would think just use a separate trigger and event. that goes to the specialevent actor, seperate from the light sequence events.
Binary Space Partitioning
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

For the specifics of what I'm trying to achieve: I have a triggered trap door (much like the one on "pressure"). The trigger closes the "mover" door for about 6 seconds. When the mover door is triggered, it sets off red flashing lights (like ambulance lights). When the door opens again after 6 seconds, the lights stop flashing. I'm trying to tag a siren sound to the mover door as well so it synchs up with the flashing lights. I have a special event tagged to the mover. The sound activates fine when the door is triggered open, but when the door closes after 6 seconds, the sound remains on and stays on.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:I'm trying to tag a siren sound to the mover door
First you have to decide whether that sound should be audible by all players or if it should be emitted at a certain location, so that only players close to the source can hear it.
If the first case you are limited to a SpecialEvent with an InitialState of "PlayersPlaySoundEffect". Because a SpecialEvent does not switch off a sound, you are limited to a none looping sound then.
If the sound should be emitted at a location, there are several possibilities including looping sounds:
  • TriggerLight (see Wiki how do do that)
  • a tiny mover moving within a Brush playing its MoveAmbientSound while moving
  • a custom TriggeredAmbientSound - I had put an example on the Wiki discussionpage
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for the suggestions Barbie....I'll give a couple of them a try....although the 3rd one (trigger ambient sound) is not an option as it doesn't work and no one has figured out how to make it work.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Why not just make it the mover sound, "opening sound" ?
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:Why not just make it the mover sound, "opening sound" ?
It does not cover his requirements:
Loose Cannon wrote:so it synchs up with the flashing lights
Loose Cannon wrote:the [...] (trigger ambient sound) is not an option as it doesn't work
That's why I wrote custom.