Map geometry "fixes"

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Map geometry "fixes"

Post by Barbie »

I found some funny fixes for geometry errors... :loool:
Attachments
NaliBoat-Fix.jpg
MH-BukieReactor!-Fix.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: Map geometry "fixes"

Post by UnrealGGecko »

If you can't fix it... cover it with random decorations :ironic: :lol2:
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Cheats. jk lol.

I really haven't thought of that before.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It's a smart thing to do.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:It's a smart thing to do.
Not for the mapper ...as a mapper you should have enough pride to avoid such errors. Or don't publish those maps.
But from a server Admin point of view who has to handle such mess, is it indeed smart. :tu:

The ideal would be. when an Admin doesn't have to fix stuff from others.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am only talking about making things look good, those BSP problems are not worth fixing.

now if they ripped a whole wall or death voids, but I call it improvising, no one will know the difference. Just like playing an instrument and you cover your mistake by making it blend in.
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Red_Fist wrote:I am only talking about making things look good, those BSP problems are not worth fixing.

now if they ripped a whole wall or death voids, but I call it improvising, no one will know the difference. Just like playing an instrument and you cover your mistake by making it blend in.
All good pal ...I, as a mapper, would not release a map with deadly holes into the void. If I'm aware of them.
My Northern Lights map for example has a glitch ...on a place near the red forward post is a hole only reachable when you fire the transloc at this position. If you teleport you get stuck in a not deadly void. but you can't move or fire. You get behind the scenes :mrgreen:
I noticed this by accident nearly a year after release... and I can't find the cause in the editor or the exact place.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:Or don't publish those maps [with visual errors]
Because that error does not affect game play (you don't die there or such), it's only a visual problem. If you cover it by a brush, a box or a flower, doesn't really matter.^^
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Not with intention to look cool or such, but I have an opinion.
A sort of such lousy error is proving bad work at geometry. You, mapper should cover that using any methods but first, try to fix geometry, it do helps at learning.

Me, personally, when a brush has started to piss me off, I moved it, I did a "reset all" command and putting it back, trying to align pivot on grid, trying to prevent combining with other brush or sharing the same surface with a portal, decreasing grid to 1 UU and moving it a bit, trying to make it multiple of 8 as much as possible, etc, etc. If it still does nasty things, then I demand a cover else it looks stupid.
papercoffee wrote: I noticed this by accident nearly a year after release... and I can't find the cause in the editor or the exact place.
I gotta admit this might be an interesting challenge in fixing - or call that magic Decoration.