CREATING A MAP!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
RuNNeR
Novice
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm
Personal rank: UT MANIAC
Location: Azerbaijan, Baku

CREATING A MAP!

Post by RuNNeR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi guys I am back!
I hadn't entered forum for a while!

I want to create a map and I have UnrealED but I am not used to it. ;(
Can anyone send me a tutorial link?

P.S: I CAN USE HAMMER EDITOR (HL MAP EDITOR)! DONT JUDGE ME PLS!

THANK YOU! :D

Image
Image

Image

User avatar
Swanky
Adept
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by Swanky » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:21 pm

That is to assume you are using the standard UnrealEd 2.0 that comes with UT.

There's still a few tutorials on google, depending on your language you can use Wolf's tutorials (english), Hellkeeper's (french) or Unrealded.info (german) for sources.

Hourences' Misc/Technical has some good stuff on Ued2.0 as well.
Also note that most UEd3.0 tutorials will work to a point because it has mostly meshes and shaders added in while the basic editor structure will stay the same for U-Engine 1 - 2.5.

User avatar
RuNNeR
Novice
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm
Personal rank: UT MANIAC
Location: Azerbaijan, Baku

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by RuNNeR » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Do I need to update UnrealED or not? :?:

From your point of view.
Image

Image

User avatar
Swanky
Adept
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by Swanky » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Using 2.0 is fine. The community created 2.1 has a few extra bits and pieces but isn't necessarily necessary. Just make sure you're not using Ued 1.0 which has a fundamentally different setup. Unrealed 3.0 is only when you want to create maps for UT 2k4 or similar games (Killing Floor, for example).

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1541
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by Red_Fist » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:36 am

search for ,,,unreal wiki,
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6441
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by EvilGrins » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:16 am

RuNNeR wrote:DONT JUDGE ME PLS!
See, now I have to judge you.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Image Image Image Image

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9403
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by papercoffee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:24 am

RuNNeR wrote: P.S: I CAN USE HAMMER EDITOR (HL MAP EDITOR)! DONT JUDGE ME PLS!
Hammer is great but it's totally vice versa regarding mapping. In Hammer you have an empty space and build the map wall for wall ... in UEd you subtract a room out of a space of mass... that's much faster.

I loved the skybox entity and sky texture thing. :tu: easier to create outdoor areas.
Or the breakable brushes. You simply define if the brush was glass, wood, iron or concrete and how breakable it is. Ha some features are just too good in Hammer.

User avatar
RuNNeR
Novice
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm
Personal rank: UT MANIAC
Location: Azerbaijan, Baku

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by RuNNeR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:28 am

Is UnrealED more complicated THAN Hammer Editor?
Image

Image

SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:54 am

RuNNeR wrote:Is UnrealED more complicated THAN Hammer Editor?
I would have to say yes to that question.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4168
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by sektor2111 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:06 am

papercoffee wrote: You simply define if the brush was glass, wood, iron or concrete and how breakable it is. Ha some features are just too good in Hammer.
Are these some of those sorta nice features crashing client because UT doesn't have any material byte ? Yes ? Oke, crash client with them when a dynamic light encounter such a nice "material" unexistent in UT.
Meh, over 200+ and even more people used UED for making maps, why suddenly do we need "tools" other than those coming with UT ? I used UED with no years of experience using only my logic and... I made operational maps.

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9403
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by papercoffee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:36 am

RuNNeR wrote:Is UnrealED more complicated THAN Hammer Editor?
Depends on what you want to achieve.
Mapping and bot pathing: UEd is faster and simpler.
Effects and outdoor: Hammer is superior.

Hammer has even a detection method to find leaks into the void.
sektor2111 wrote:
papercoffee wrote: You simply define if the brush was glass, wood, iron or concrete and how breakable it is. Ha some features are just too good in Hammer.
Are these some of those sorta nice features crashing client because UT doesn't have any material byte ? Yes ? Oke, crash client with them when a dynamic light encounter such a nice "material" unexistent in UT.
No ...those nice features are HalfLife Engine not UT.
sektor2111 wrote:Meh, over 200+ and even more people used UED for making maps, why suddenly do we need "tools" other than those coming with UT ? I used UED with no years of experience using only my logic and... I made operational maps.
Read about the sky-texture in Hammer-Editor then you'll understand what's good about it. The reactive brushes (glass, wood etc.) causing no problems compared to mover.

User avatar
RuNNeR
Novice
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm
Personal rank: UT MANIAC
Location: Azerbaijan, Baku

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by RuNNeR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:40 pm

THANKS GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT!

I AM ON MY WAY CREATING A MAP!
I WILL SEND YOU PICS DURING THE PROGRESS.

P.S: IS IT OK IF I NAME MY MAP "CTF-OSIRIS"?
Image

Image

User avatar
Barbie
Godlike
Posts: 1727
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 pm
Location: moved without proper hashing

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by Barbie » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Image

SCNR
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9403
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by papercoffee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:11 pm

RuNNeR wrote:IS IT OK IF I NAME MY MAP "CTF-OSIRIS"?
Stop shouting ...and I would get a more unique name for your map. Osiris is very common and I think there are a bazillion maps having this name.

User avatar
RuNNeR
Novice
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:19 pm
Personal rank: UT MANIAC
Location: Azerbaijan, Baku

Re: CREATING A MAP!

Post by RuNNeR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Can you give me any name of the map?

P.S: Is it ok if I add my Half-Life server banner? :what:
Last edited by RuNNeR on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image

Post Reply