Post Closing 3072 Contest MH map - MH-3072-FloorWays

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Post Closing 3072 Contest MH map - MH-3072-FloorWays

Post by papercoffee »

I'll downloaded it.
But there is still the question which MH version is the best for clients to play MH maps local.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:But there is still the question which MH version is the best for clients to play MH maps local.
I was playing it local using last unofficial MH504 (even 503 for tests). For player who needs regens with any matter I might recommend UTToolBox ones. Health an Ammo on purpose. For me aren't needed, I'm playing with what is inside map as it is.
Aside I was playing MH2 which I'm about to drop it out if Accessed Nones or evilized reactions are not showing up after testing more maps. I'm not speaking about maps with broken paths or other rammed stuff, just normal maps (by normal authors) because some of them are impossible to play properly in any MH version.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Thanks for the recommendations.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I forgot a mention. By playing local and using Bot, if funky things happens with Bot and dispersion, there is a MHHelp2 mutator doing some fixations (prevent weapon stuck with Bot). In On-Line gaming I'm using that one and Bots, and game runs properly.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:I forgot a mention. By playing local and using Bot, if funky things happens with Bot and dispersion, there is a MHHelp2 mutator doing some fixations (prevent weapon stuck with Bot). In On-Line gaming I'm using that one and Bots, and game runs properly.
Ah... ok ...I'll search for this mutator. Thanks. :tu:

Edit-----------------------------
@sektor2111
Is it this one? MHHelp_MH504.zip I found it at Medors place.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That's probably old v1, look into my avatar's link for V2.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Finally got around to playing this.

2 things:
· The lifts will kill you if you're under them or even a little bit standing over the edge when they go up.
· You've got IceSkaarj shooting fireballs. That's just wrong.

Long time playing, very cool.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Lifts are perfect and you know why ? Because not a single time Bots crawling there were going under lifts, and if you don't play often with them I could see some stupid things when they return and ignore. First time they were "domestic" but I could see 4 morons trying to get up 2 of them under lift returning it, then bumping each other and taking a break - lift gone with one of them and came back and so on - again 4 morons at base. I did lift timers as I considered helpful, and because idiots bugged game exactly in heat points, I simply did THE RIGHT and THE BEST thing: CRUSH all fagitrons around - DONE. Technically any dude on planet camping under a lift has all chances to get crushed - they work exactly as real lifts so WATCH out.
X was incinerated by an IceSkaarj yeah... there is not the best thing seen... but is the surprise... else map is oriented to show "How to" things for some interested people about modifying SpawnPoints to gain empowered monsters. SpawnPoint is innocent - is part of Navigation (not in this case) so it is advisable to forget them and to do things different. Barbie said that these modifiers screw next maps in server. Interesting... it did not occur in my Net games, it might be another lulu based on object jokes and transient effects which I don't have... This thing give me confusions. If some dude make a map a bit tricky with some needed changes, this means will affect server's functionality and I think THIS should not happen unless you hold old garbage and server does a level switch with old modifiers which I don't see a normal thing - it should reload packages and their properties as they are in packages and not what changes are resident in memory from previous Level.
EvilGrins wrote: Long time playing, very cool.
I'm not gonna add any shortcut. Tell this to those saying about a MH 3072 that might be the shortest map. To be honest in time I might do other such small-long-play Maps having under 500 actors and running well at 1 GHz.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

sektor2111 wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: Long time playing, very cool.
I'm not gonna add any shortcut.
Wasn't asking you to. Map edit I'm still poking around at is an even longer time to play. That's not a bad thing.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Next one is not a BT map because BT is not MH for me, regarding to stupid stuff done making my old players to quit playing thanks to "ideas".

Else:
Mission continues:
We have a train and is a cargo-train transporting some stuff for reinforcements after defeat from El Presidente's Bunker. Some of those boxes are not that heavy. Because train is running on a bad railway they might suffer some moves and they might be pretty damaging for players. I'm gonna do proper paths making Bot to avoid those boxes damagers which randomly can be shaking deadly. Mission is to kill any guard found and last train-driver, hijacking locomotive and stopping train, doh.
I was intended to do some special effects related to train but I think is too much work around.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I noticed something - perhaps a bug - in this map I can't reproduce. While playing it happens three times that I lost all my weapons (Nali Weapons 3) from one moment to the next. They were not lying around then. The last time it happens in the area where skaarjs shoot with shock rifles. I don't know this issue from other maps.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I did not check any NW in this map and probably I played it more than 60+ times as it is (I cannot stop playing it because I like those Skaarj monsters how do they work).

Without checking some logs I cannot say anything. Map do includes an actor for monster modification purposes, it shouldn't affect player... I must see what is being logged if some error is visible there.

A tech thing to mention around:
When This map was a work in progress, I was happy to see things working perfectly. At level 6 or 7 If memory doesn't cheat me I was trying to import a lamp from DM-Hyperblast. In that moment it was like a virus blabbering in my map. I dropped that redrawing it directly, still Goblin was fu... ng my ass - I removed one Level - yeah, map was initially bigger. Then I went to a build without BSP thing, map went solid without crappy barriers and ghost shadows. Effects of such build ? Well, by playing it tens of times including doing a server and client on 1 GHz machine I did not figure any issue to make me to get mad at it. If this is affecting NW in some way, then, this is new to me.

Also I was firing it into that XC sample server + the other one done by me MH-TrainCommando - also no issues. Honesty I'm not doing any effort for making my maps extremely compatible with MODS because I did MH maps not MOD maps, I haven't used mutators for years and I don't intend to use any "replacement" based tools.

If you have intention for a remake/rebuild of it, feel free to do that as you consider. Why ? Because I'm not mapper and this is 4th map which I did from Editor's Void - so I gotta admit I might be goofing here and there at making maps as long as I don't have a long mapping experience.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I like playing it too, the strength of the monsters are well choosen.
But I noticed players does not like to go the hole way again and again when they died in the stronger skaarj parts. They leave the server then. For me using the BTCheckpoints mutator it is not that thing, but in general a teleporter to the first skaarj part would not be a bad idea I think.
Ok, this topic we had already as far as I remember...
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Aldebaran wrote:But I noticed players does not like to go the hole way again and again when they died in the stronger skaarj parts.
This...
I love this map as well but I couldn't finish it because I got bored after an hour. Not because the monsters are too strong (I have no problem with getting fragged It's part of the game) but the long way until you reach the fighting again was time consuming and exhausting. And then to just die again...and again... :|
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, add teleporters then...

Now I have some personal issue. After reaching at home from work, I was interested to test some Brushes things around whatever map, but I've just noticed that I don't have any map idea in my head at this moment... and I would like to setup something like in this map but... in a different environment, and containing... Hunter type Monsters (game is called MonsterHunt if I'm not mistaking, LOL - paths for monsters hunting players included as well).

Edit:
Undocumented hints for playing this map almost or with 0 deaths - read again - you won't die if you are interested in being an awesome hunter.
- keep in mind that some areas are not navigable by monsters - advantage to retreat without to be found/hunted;
- making monsters to get crushed by Lifts (boost them on Lift Ledges when they shows up around from an upper Floor);
- Making monsters to come around lifts and firing BioGel between lift and walls - this weapon is first one and it is like that on purpose;
- Kill Skaarj using ripper from behind walls (Shockers, Snipers, Troopers) without leaving Lift zones - see green HuntNode keeping you safer;
Off-Line these are doable by using Bots which will make monsters noisy for figuring their location and hunting them with lazy weaponry (Rocket Launcher, Flak, Ripper, GesBioRifle, etc.)
As you can see I'm not a candidate to death in this Level so I want a bigger challenge... smoother map and strong threats.