Geometry builder stuck at Illumination Occluding phase

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Geometry builder stuck at Illumination Occluding phase

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

UnrealGecko wrote:So you have about 15 days to fix up the previous submissions or finalize unreleased maps
I would try fixing mine if the geometry builder wouldn't stuck at the "Illumination Occluding" phase.

Any suggestion to fix this problem? :?

EDIT: If I set non-solid brushes to semi-solid, it doesn't stuck anymore, but doesn't it increase the CPU usage to calculate collisions?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Geometry builder stuck at Illumination Occluding phase

Post by Barbie »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:If I set non-solid brushes to semi-solid, it doesn't stuck anymore, but doesn't it increase the CPU usage to calculate collisions?
The brushes are needed only for creating the "world" (BSP-tree) during rebuilding a map, not for using (playing) a map. You may even delete the brushes after a rebuild (as some participants of the 512k contest did).
Furthermore take into account that machine's performance have increased about the factor 2^((2016-1999)/1.5) ~ 9000 from 1999 to 2016 (if I simply take Moore's Law for performance increment: double it all 1.5 years). (See also my example of server's CPU usage over a week in this thread .)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Barbie wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:If I set non-solid brushes to semi-solid, it doesn't stuck anymore, but doesn't it increase the CPU usage to calculate collisions?
The brushes are needed only for creating the "world" (BSP-tree) during rebuilding a map, not for using (playing) a map. You may even delete the brushes after a rebuild (as some participants of the 512k contest did).
Furthermore take into account that machine's performance have increased about the factor 2^((2016-1999)/1.5) ~ 9000 from 1999 to 2016 (if I simply take Moore's Law for performance increment: double it all 1.5 years). (See also my example of server's CPU usage over a week in this thread .)
Oh, I thought they did it to not to let other mappers to use their brushes or to reduce the map file size.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:Oh, I thought they did it [...] to reduce the map file size.
Yes, see this post for example.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett