3072uu Contest: Gamers Choice

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Which map did you like the most?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 pm

SilverSound's CTF-3072-Treatment
4%
EvilTom's DM-3072-ScarlE
9%
papercoffee's DM-3072-InsaneTower
15%
papercoffee's DM-3072-TheVoid
7%
Terraniux's DOM-3072-TarydiumShrine
4%
KingJosh's DM-3072-KingJoshCityLite
4%
Tyr's DM-3072-TyrsLair
13%
Tyr's DM-3072-Arcturus
9%
makemeunreal's DM-3072-Carbon
7%
Rocky's CTF-3072-ShoresArena
11%
ExpEM's DM-3072-UnderHive
11%
PrinceOfFunky's DM-3072-ItalyKinda
7%

Total votes: 46

UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

3072uu Contest: Gamers Choice

Post by UnrealGGecko »

This is the poll in order to figure out which map is the Gamers Choice. Everyone gets to pick 3 of their favourite maps. Poll ends in 2 weeks.

Download all the maps from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11751
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: 3072uu Contest: Gamers Choice

Post by sektor2111 »

#1 UnderHive - map is OK from all points of view. Man subscribed and dropped a default good Level. Congrats, Greeting and Respect !
#2 The Void - I don't know if it's causing default issues because my games screws bad zones setup - no worries, Bots can still manage those moving DOORS...
#3 ScarlE - could be very in front but... stuff doesn't match Ammo VS Weapon - the rest of action goes well.

Do not think that others were not good. As player I Just do not like long downloads - not all of them are suitable for a server.

Those with less interest but not the worst things:
- KingJoshCityLite - very shinny but I see some rammed paths and other areas unpathed - Why ? Is not about space this time and some area around a car has a tiny BSP HOM - game play seems almost in the same place.
- Carbon - has BSP and not entirely pathed;
- ShoresArena - I think bases are bit too closer and too open - no other issues found - map works properly;
- ItalyKinda - just bugged me - What is going on here ?
- Treatment - files - Why an UTX file as package for badge only ? Else map is a good one.
- TyrsLair - paths wrong (nodes near playerstarts :noidea ) - lift wrong + 2 files over 20 MB - Nope >> LiftTag = LiftPull and not LiftCenter.
- TarydiumShrine - good one - but I'm not that much involved at Domination else for DOM fans playing quickly I recommend it.
- InsaneTower - if all those said issues are gone it's another good one.
- Arcturus - beautiful, operational but download haters won't like it that much.
Apology if I forgot one.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Why isn't this thread sticky?!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

For an indepth review, check here.

1. ScarE - pretty solid map all around.
2. UnderHive - could have easily ranked #1 but has a few quirks that keep it from taking over
3. InsaneTower - It's a tie with ShoresArena, but plays better
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Thanx for the great maps people! I liked to play them all. :tu:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote:Why isn't this thread sticky?!
Most of us wash our hands before typing?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Alright, let's do this, in no particular order:

FIGHT TO THE END OF LIFE

DM-3072-UnderHive: Very nicely done, weird hard to name theme, but very cool nonetheless. The layout si cool, even though I feel there's a fex missed opportunities here and there, but nothing very serious. Lighting is the only thing that let's the map down a bit. Overall, it's a nice one, but it lacks something to pop out. 5/10

DM-3072-TheVoid: Bots completely suck and are largely useless, navigation is difficult because of all these jumps you have to make and pause to succeed, movers don't stand out enough for it to be clear where you're supposed to step. It's looks freaking great however, the skybox is terrific and yet disharmingly simple, the single choice of texture is great, weapon placement it very cool and the way you have to danse around the map to get the pickups is excellent, I loved this one even though I found it very tedious to play. 6/10

DM-3072-TheInsaneTower: I despise maps with grandiloquent titles like that, but this is just perfectly fit for how perfectly insane that thing is. I could never tell where I was, where were the weapons, I couldn't orient myself to save my life, I was always lost and the way things turn around constantly while going up down and sideways it terrific in how confusing it makes you feel. After a while you just throw you hands up in the air, going "Welp, I don't know" and just try to kill something. The braindead music fits perfectly and the theme is very cleanly done. I loved this one in its crazyness. It also feels gigantic despite the size limitation. 9/10

DM-3072-ScarE: Good concept, good execution, and though large the layout it clear enough and I never get lost. No obvious problem, it feels heavy and unforgiving. I feel like it's the only map that takes full advantage of the 3072 units in height! 7.5/10

DM-3072-KingJoshCityLite: It doesn't get more detailed and ambitious than that! The number of things crammed in such a small space in baffling. I would have loved this map to play as good as it looks, but unfortunately, it's inconsistent. In the streets, it's tensed and open with the walkways, the crates, the ramps and the jumpboots, but the maps folds and itself, collapses and lets out a weird noise when you walk inside the buildings. Rooms are just big empty cubes with ramps in one corner going up to the upper stories, there is no fight on several levels, no window to the outside, not even a way to go out on the upper walkways. You just get to walk back down and exit from the same door you walked in. At some point I painfully crawled up to something like the 90th level to be greeted with... A flak ammo pack. But the author seems to admit going up is useless since it's not even pathed up there. Even when it's present, pathing is subpar at best, lackluster in many cases. As a result, bots are completely useless. Very nice map on the outside, largely disappointing on the inside and seemingly made to be played with another game. 6/10

DM-3072-Carbon: A map that screams for you to play with the Who Pushed Me mutator. Other than that, it's perfect! Nice theme, great execution, the layout is both very open, very labyrinthic, it's very easy to find cover but you never lose your prey, it's fun and tensed. Many times, I find myself just jumping randomly, hoping there's something other than lava wherever I land. Pickup placement is just good enough, bots don't lose their mind, I would say it's refreshing but I don't want to risk the pun. However, NO SCREENSHOT and botpathing is incomplete. 9/10

DM-3072-TyrsLair: People will need to go back to the beginning if they want to make a more thematically perfect map than this. It looks extremely polished, it even sounds very nice, it's a good game despite it being one of the smallesr maps here (it has plenty of spare room in its 3072 area). Might be the best lighting of the contest too. Only downsides are how small it is and how simple the layout. 8.5/10

DM-3072-Arcturus: Somehow reminds me of Unreal 2. Small and simple layout, a bit cramped in the round corridor, but it's simple fun. Good weapon placement, very strong theme perfectly executed, the windows allow cool ambushed... To be honest I don't have many flaws to point out, except that I think the scale is a bit off (as if the map was on 0.75 scale). 9/10.

DM-3072-ItalyKinda: At some point I need to ask the auther how and why he made the map the way he did it. The build is the lowest quality of the contest, I can't, for instance, find a reason why the grind is a big block added at the bottom of the empty cube instead of just being the bottom of the empty cube, and why there's a huge flat terrain brush which also serves no purpose except messing the entire BSP structure. It's terribly built. The map has an original theme but I think most of it is in the music. I can't believe the Farmacia sign is BSP and not a texture. There's a huge BSP hole that flickers in and out of view but covers roughly 1/5th of the map. It's also the first time in a long while UT crashed on me. All these technical problems really let the map down, and the layout is also nothing too hot. 4/10

REMOVE THE FLAPPY CLOTH

CTF-3072-Treatment: I feel like I could say "uttech2" and leave it at that, but there's a bit of effort put into it, so I'll go further: everything is flat. There it little to no detail, it's very basic, except for maybe one single minuscule lamp in the large room which magically lits the entire area. The sky is also much too basic: some clouds, a planet, but it's pretty much entirely black. This looks like the first draft for a new map with a basic layout, and in some cases the BSP is very lacking, like the cylinders used for the weird water conduits. Very unconvincing. Also, except for one single ledge in the flag rooms, the map is basically flat, there are several height levels, but they are never connected, so your enemies are just walking on the same floor. 3/10

CTF-3072-ShoresArena: This one combines everything I hate: sand and people trying both to steal my property and murder me. It's an interesting take on Face, things fell just right, I'm only a bit sad bots don't have enough paths in the water itself. It also seems more demanding than other maps, I had a couple of slowdowns, but not enough to impair playability. 8/10

CONTROL OVERWHELMINGLY

DOM-[3072]TarydiumShrine: First of all, that's not how the 3072 works... The maps says 8 players, but it feels minuscule even with 6. It's nicely done, I guess, but I get shot at immediately on spawn, there's not much place to move, and it's not especially well balanced, which is weird for such a small map: one DOM point is just a few steps away for the Flak cannon. The hidden teleporter to the redeemer is a nice touch, though. 6/10

All this being said and with a little personnal opinion added in the mix (stirred vigorously for 10 minutes and served hot), my personnal top is :

1st - Carbon: best map all around, good layout, good build, good theme, I just hope a version with fixed botpathing comes out.
2nd - Insane Tower: Best idea, very well done, true to its name, could only benefit from more details, but this would mean more time than the contest allows. Also best male actor.
3rd - ShoresArena: Not much to say... I liked it!

As a general comment, I'm glad to see that sounds have not been disregarded as in the previous contest. However, pathing in general is very lacking, even for good maps gere. It's not very hard to do and test, I don't get why it seems so problematic for so many people.
You must construct additional pylons.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Hellkeeper wrote:DM-3072-ItalyKinda: At some point I need to ask the auther how and why he made the map the way he did it. The build is the lowest quality of the contest, I can't, for instance, find a reason why the grind is a big block added at the bottom of the empty cube instead of just being the bottom of the empty cube, and why there's a huge flat terrain brush which also serves no purpose except messing the entire BSP structure. It's terribly built. The map has an original theme but I think most of it is in the music. I can't believe the Farmacia sign is BSP and not a texture. There's a huge BSP hole that flickers in and out of view but covers roughly 1/5th of the map. It's also the first time in a long while UT crashed on me. All these technical problems really let the map down, and the layout is also nothing too hot. 4/10
Thanks for the review :P
I could answer everything with just a "I had no time", but of course there are details for any answer.
I placed a big block at the bottom of the cube cause I first wanted to create sublevels, like cellars and basements, like I did with the winery(which I couldn't have made if I placed the grind at the bottom of the cube).
Because of what I said above, the flat terrain was needed to then crave inside.
What's the problem with the pharmacy sign? I just wanted make it more realistic, since most of the pharmacy signs are in relief.
Yes UT crashes, didn't(and still don't know) how to fix that problem, and sadly, I know it's a big problem :/
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Hellkeeper wrote:Also best male actor.
Oh thank you.

:mrgreen:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

DOM-[3072]TarydiumShrine: First of all, that's not how the 3072 works... The maps says 8 players, but it feels minuscule even with 6. It's nicely done, I guess, but I get shot at immediately on spawn, there's not much place to move, and it's not especially well balanced, which is weird for such a small map: one DOM point is just a few steps away for the Flak cannon. The hidden teleporter to the redeemer is a nice touch, though. 6/10
Thanks for your commentary. My first time here participating in the ut99.org competition.
Balancing was certainly hard, but I made up my mind to put all possible weapons in it. Next time I should use less I think. Balancing this map was the main thing I did on this map.
Everything assemetrical aligned on north, east and west and south.

As I get your constructive criticism I am not entirely aware about what I did do wrong?
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Little right @HellKeeper.
Some of such "closer" targets made CTF, DOM games to get a turn into a DM game - which is not on purpose. For a CTF map by example I would like flags separated in some rooms - there is enough place if you think well in Z axis optimisation. There are not needed huge rooms for exhausting place, but smaller, tunnels, routes (CTF-Coret as default example - not about pathing AlternatePaths - those are retarded and deliberated hacked by engine itself). In a cube having 3072 UU, strategy is not TALL rooms - ignoring DJ stuff which is not an UT default feature, LOL - so forget it...
I think I could even make even a Siege compatible one with a bit of efforts... hm...
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Terraniux wrote:As I get your constructive criticism I am not entirely aware about what I did do wrong?
It's hard to pinpoint. First, I'd say 4 players would be better for this size. Maybe having one DOM point separate from the two others would be better too. As it stands, having the three points on the same level in an area so small feels too much.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman

Post by Hellkeeper »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Terraniux wrote:As I get your constructive criticism I am not entirely aware about what I did do wrong?
It's hard to pinpoint. First, I'd say 4 players would be better for this size. Maybe having one DOM point separate from the two others would be better too. As it stands, having the three points on the same level in an area so small feels too much.
Sektor2111: I'm sorry but I didn't understand a single word.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Cute, I want know who's the one who voted my map now .o.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Hellkeeper wrote:
Ah right. I see. Normally I make big, huge a$s maps. Was hard to make something within boundaries to be honest. There is my error :lol2:
But I had fun, definitely.
This member can only post when permitted.