3072uu Contest: mappers voting (participants only)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

3072uu Contest: mappers voting (participants only)

Post by UnrealGGecko »

@SilverSound @Eviltom @papercoffee @Terraniux @KingJosh @Tyr @makemeunreal @Rocky @ExpEM @PrinceOfFunky @Carbon

First of all thank you very much for entering and completing these maps. It's been a blast to try out every single one of your submissions. Great job everyone! :rock:

In this thread... only the participants can vote for the best map of the contest. You will give 3 points to your favourite, 2 points for your 2nd, and 1 point to your 3rd favourite.

So something like this:
1st place: {mapname} {quick reason why}
2nd place: {mapname} {quick reason why}
3rd place: {mapname} {quick reason why}
Would really be nice if all 10 of you would vote here. I also want Carbon to vote here because it's his prize and he has some power over this too :tongue:
Thank you again! :rock:

Oh, and no voting for your own map please :ironic:

All the maps are here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11751

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voted so far:
SilverSound
papercoffee
ExpEM
Carbon
Tyr
Terraniux
makemeunreal
Eviltom
Rocky

Not voted yet:
KingJosh
PrinceOfFunky

points so far:
Treatment = 0 points
TheVoid = 0 points
ItalyKinda = 0 points
TarydiumShrine (1) = 1 point
Carbon (2) = 2 points
KingJoshCityLite (1+2) = 3 points
UnderHive (1+3+1) = 5 points
ShoresArena (1+1+3) = 5 points
Arcturus (2+2+2+1) = 7 points
TheInsaneTower (3+3+2) = 8 points
TyrsLair (3+2+2+3) = 10 points
ScarE (2+1+1+3+3+3) = 13 points
Last edited by UnrealGGecko on Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Rocky voted, so I added his votes :P
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: 3072uu Contest: mappers voting (participants only)

Post by SilverSound »

Whew. I had a blast playing some of these maps! NOTE:I played with 4 - 5 bots on each map on hardcore mode. No extra mutators or gravity changes.

I'll get straight to it. Here is my top three.

1 DM-3072-TheInsaneTower - This map really reminded me of why I LOVE My play style! Never once staying in one place for a few seconds. I found my self going down contently. Changing direction and overall flowing well.

2 DM-3072-ScarE - This map Spoke to me in terms of classic UT99 maps. It all flowed perfectly and was just the right size. The map was simplistic enough to look really good and play well UT style.

3 DM-3072-UnderHive - When it comes to making a map feel large with out being large this is the map. While Coffees map does technically feel HUGE, it's a warp zone map. Underhive felt like it had a lot more space than it should. But that's what made it great! The detail in each section felt right and the overall feel was new to me.

There's my vote list.
Last edited by SilverSound on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I'd like to vote but, not all uploads are present. I want every map to be tested fair and square
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A Remark:
ScarlE is for Botpack only, else I keep slow regens. That ripper won't load ever with RazorAmmo :| . Aside, map works perfect I voted it as player.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@Terraniux what do you mean under the link Gecko provided is the official contest thread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11751 There you can get all maps from the mappers who made it in time.

Edit----------------------------------------------

My Vote:

First place
with 3 points: DM-3072-TyrsLair
- Simple and effective. I got smashed and destroyed by the bots and had to fight back with everything I got ...even the kitchen sink. The sky-box is just perfect and fits the overall style of the map.

Second Place
with 2 points: DM-3072-Arcturus
- It's beautiful and with a lot of eye-candy in a tiny space. bUT what I liked the most is the very fast gameplay ...even so most of the space is an open area, you got many places to hide or retreat. And the jump-pad in the middle adds to the fun.

Third place
with 1 point: DM-3072-ScarlE
- Small and many z-axis action. I'm a sucker for z-axis maps and SGTech1.utx :mrgreen: ...everything fits my liking.

Edit2-----------------------------------------------------
I want to mention that I liked the DOM and the two CTF maps as well :tu:
Last edited by papercoffee on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Well I have to say, this has been much fun!

Tested all levels with 4 Bots on Masterful (5 bots for CTF).

1: DM-3072-TheInsaneTower,
-This really is insane! Gameplay runs well, bot pathing, concept and gotta love that music too.
2: DM-3072-Arcturus,
- Love this wee arena, points for visuals and gameplay.
3: DM-3072-ScarE,
-Plays quite well, concept is all there, pathed well too.

Special Mention: DM-3072-TyrsLair,
-Great level and would have got a placing too if not for the broken path on the lift (I fixed it then played and it runs spectacularly).
Signature goes here.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Great work everyone! The maps were all well done in their own way.

My choices:

1. DM-3072-UnderHive
I liked the feel of the map; bots played well enough and it felt diverse despite the size limitation. I admit I'm not big on monochromatic environments and this map had enough diversity as well as a good overall flow.

2. DM-3072-TyrsLair
A tight map, which I am not typically a big fan of, but this has great flow and I enjoyed the movement potential. It was pretty fast and crazy, but one could also slow it down with a bit of cat & mouse. The aesthetic was great as well; a real Unreal feeling. Yes, the bots don't like the elevator, but for me, there were just too many other elements that worked.

3. CTF-3072-ShoresArena
This was just good, crazy UT fun. Haven’t had this much fun with a CTF map in a long time. Love the theme, layout, placements…sweet.

This was really hard! I loved many of the maps and had trouble choosing three. Anyhow, the maps I listed are the ones I kept going back to, so I guess that say enough.

A very big and honest thanks to all the mappers; I have so much respect for all of you and even though I may not have chosen your work, they are going to be played and are all worthy additions to the UT legacy. :gj:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

It's just too hard to give that many points. :? :? :?
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

As a participant do we only vote here? Or do we also vote as in the players choice? Sorry for the stupid question :ironic:

Iv been crazy busy with work but should have a bit more time over the next couple of weeks to have a good play on all the maps. Also iv found one of my old PC's that should be a bit more stable than my laptop for playing UT if its not full if dust and spiders! :lol2:

I have a couple of favourites already but need to play the rest before I say anything!

Also thanks to the organisers + all the helpful mappers who helped all those in need! Has been fun to be part of the contest. Feel like iv missed out over all the years iv been away!

@sektor2111 I only recently got back into UT so my copy is pretty much vanilla! So that's all iv mapped for. Is there something im unaware of that makes weapon and ammo pickups work better with mods/mutators?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Eviltom wrote:As a participant do we only vote here? Or do we also vote as in the players choice? Sorry for the stupid question :ironic:
It's not a stupid question ...more like a silly one.
You can also vote in the players choice thread. But more important is the vote here to determine the winner of the contest.

Edit-----------------------------------------
I've coloured my vote with #0000BF to make it easier for the staff to find them in this thread under all the other posts.
Maybe you all should do this as well.
Edit2---------------------------------------
I just changed my votes back to default black ...it looked ridiculous.
Last edited by papercoffee on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyr
Skilled

Post by Tyr »

My choices:

1. (3 Points) DM-3072-Scarletts Echo:
Great use of space, lots of z-axis fighting, nice floorplan and looks. Not too simplistic, not too complicated. Lighting is somewhat lacking but overall a very nice map.

2. (2 Points) DM-3072-TheInsaneTower:
The second goes to this because of the concept. Visually it's not appealing as much (for me) but technically the map is really fun and engaging. You have constantly forced to keep the orientation and look in all direction to not get fucked from behind/top/bottom! :D

3. (1 Point) CTF-3072-ShoresArena:
The last one is given to a CTF-Map. The Idea is great. It's simple, it's fun to play and visually appealing.
Released:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

For that totally ridiculous skin I made, someone (Gecko?) put me on the contestant participating page.

Does that mean I can post in here too?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

I need to bring out my votes for my top 3 maps, but something isn't clear to me. Should I give points on what I personally think that are the best or should look upon whats best and not? ( as in platonic / general UT benefits ? )

sorry if I ask too much questions, my first time in the competition.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Terraniux wrote:I need to bring out my votes for my top 3 maps, but something isn't clear to me. Should I give points on what I personally think that are the best or should look upon whats best and not? ( as in platonic / general UT benefits ? )

sorry if I ask too much questions, my first time in the competition.
You vote for the Map you like the most and then you give a little inside why you liked it:
where did you had the most fun, which one looked good (or awesome or so la-la), what is your suggestion for a fix or add-on... etc.

You can make it purely objective or subjective. It's your decision. :wink:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Alright, I updated the 1st post with who has and has not voted yet... during this week please vote! If not I'll be forced to make the non-voters sit on a huge cactus :ironic: