3072 contest reviews

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

3072 contest reviews

Post by Swanky »

Hey ho,

just wanted to tag in to say thanks for all the hard work with the maps. I wanted to give each entry its proper credits but that quickly got so out of hand I had to post it here instead of posting it over in the community voting thread. Cheers! :)

Overview
Starting to review the 3072 mapping contest on UT99.org I felt the urge to see what’s under the hood of all those maps.
That would mean to check each entry ingame and in the editor, following the basic review scheme of Gameplay, Build and Atmosphere. Each category can get up to 3 points. There may be a bonus point but that would require Revelation / FnB kind of genius play / work with the editor / engine.
While Gameplay will consist of basic things like flow, itemplacement, botsupport, Build will focus on the technical side of things. Atmosphere is for everything that does not fit in either category, like creativity and theme idea and realization through details.

The review scheme
Spoiler
Just to clarify how I judged – yes it’s still a subjective review trying to be objective, here’s a small list on what all those numbers are meaning:

Gameplay
1.0 - most basic form of gameplay, usually in the form of a plain level with items on it
1.5 – simple gameplay with cover added, or a good idea not properly pulled off
2.0 – good gameplay with minor flaws
2.5 – very good example on what makes good gameplay
3.0 – great gameplay that introduces new ideas

Build
1.0 – The map works but has a lot of issues
1.5 – The map works
2.0 – good execution with minor flaws
2.5 – great example of construction
3.0 – extremely clean build, realization of extra effects, can be used as a reference

Atmosphere
1.0 – various ideas are struggling against one another, no coherent realization of idea
1.5 – there’s an intention behind the idea
2.0 – you have an idea and are capable to pull it off
2.5 – talented use of extra effects to improve visualization
3.0 – the author is able to fully create a fully immersive worldspace
That said, let’s hop onto our first map!

DM-3072-Aperture
Score [6.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
Aperture brings us a bit of Portal into UT. Well, actually UT featured Portals before that. Nevertheless, it’s actually the Portal theme integrated into a very classic UT map maze. Now while that features ramps, lifts, doors (!), tight ledges a few other interesting ideas that even require a bit of teamwork and are properly added into the map, there are several small things that hinder gameplay a bit.
For starters, botsupport is there and they are quite aggressive. They do hole up at the shield belt however and tend to get stuck there. They also don’t get the Udamage. Also, I couldn’t reach the sniper rifle on classic gamemode settings and then you are having the megahealth, the shieldbelt and the rocketlauncher sitting in one room making it quite easy to keeping the lead.

Build
Most things are pretty clean. Good use of meshes. There are a few misalignments most notably on the “outside” sphere and pathing network is a mess. Good use of triggers for the most part.

Atmosphere
Aperture shows how a good port of a theme can work. You have Warpzones, trigger puzzles and narrow walkways combined into one moody package. As with the source material, lighting is kind of meh but at least it doesn’t get in the way.

DM-3072-Arcturus
Score [6.0]
Spoiler
Gameplay
A variant of the Gael/Morbias maps, you get a center court with an outer ring with a few weapons lying around. What’s missing here is Z-Axis fighting, making this affair rather simplistic.

Build
Arcturus is a good example on how to use the editor right. Everything is wonderfully detailed, properly merged or otherwise well realized. There is varied lighting, extra effects and a lot of things are properly trimmed, yet unfortunately not all of them, which aside from some texture misalignments would be my only gripe on this execution.

Atmosphere
Let’s see. It’s a courtyard, probably a landing pad which would explain why there are no doors. Still doesn’t make a lot of sense making an inside area without doors that in the midst of the everfreezing houses cryopads. Not that UT would make a lot of sense in the first place. However, what’s there is beautifully realized.

DM-3072-Carbon
Score [5.0]
Spoiler
Gameplay
Just starting and there’s a weird map already. The map itself is, as the contest suggests, a rather small one. Multiple platforms sitting in thin air, gaps, tight ledges and a bit of terrain make for rather unusual fighting that focusses more on not falling down than actual combat. Personally, I could have done without the multitude of gaps and stairs leading into nowhere, but at least the bots know the drill. Weapon placement seems okay as well.

Build
The build is simple. Most forms consist of standard brushes and textures, some of which could have been aligned better. Haven’t seen a previewshot of the map in the menu either but since it was myleveled I suppose there is an issue with the compression or the format. Botsupport is rudimentary but they know their way around most of the pickups and most of the map is about not falling down so it’s okay. There were a few greenings concerning the lighting and a few brushes could have been merged as well.

Atmosphere
The map tries to deliver the impression of you being in a ruined temple which works for the most part due to the map being packed with small details in just the right spots. There are ambient sounds and some mysterious music.

DM-ItalyKinda
Score [3.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
So this little town center should be a city’s little Italy. Why not? More importantly, why did I get telefragged if the author advertised the map as playable with 10 players?
Furthermore, I think 10 players is way too much. While the map tries to recreate a little meeting point in a town, it gets cramped immediately when adding anything more than 3 to 4 players. Navigating this slew of brushes, rooms and tight corridors is difficult enough.

Build
The map has a few interesting ideas but falls short in terms of pulling it all off. Unfortunately, there are a lot of texture misalignments and I also spotted a few Hall of Mirror effects (all of them visible from the playable point of view, not just flyby), some on top of the buildings, some in the main court itself. Trigger and Ambientsound actors are visible. And there’s some deafening screaming ambient sound placed around the fountain statues. Likewise, lighting suffers from greening effects around the lamps even though there is some atmospheric lighting around the courtyard’s buildings and shops.
€ As of 13.11.16, the HoM effects have appearently been fixed. Does not change a lot about the score however given how many other things to mention are still existing.

Atmosphere
Actually, it all wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the irresistibly loud screaming effect on the outside. It might have actually been fun to poke around the various shops and locations.

DM-3072-KingJoshCityLite
Score [6.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
Welcome to China! Like far-away China, at least. Still, feels good. The map is fairly bright and thus it’s easy to spot your enemies in this wild mix of neon-colors. The map itself loosely mimics a Chinese future city, thus some of the rooms are a bit cramped and upper ledges are always tight. Still, bots know their way around and actually gave a good struggle on the 3on3 TDM I was testing the map with.
Most things felt pretty balanced except for the Minigun-RocketLauncher-Flak tower (bots never got to the top either) which was pretty crowded a couple of times. Other than that I felt there could have been a bit more health and I wished for a breakthrough on the upper level of the gambling area.

Build
The map offers a high amount of detail crammed inside such a small space, with many little detail brushes here and there, some of which may have been set to semisolid to avoid clipping. A good example for this is the car on the ramped to the unused basement. Other than that, there were not cuts or holes. The skybox felt cut off though.
The new textures come in a separate .utx file while the .umx file is a music file from DeusEx directly copied into the music folder.
Lighting was bright, but not overly bright, and all effects are neatly placed.

Atmosphere
Like I said, it feels like you are in a Chinese city, with cars, gambling, small restrooms and the like, all covered with little details and effects. With everything it’s really good that King Josh still made it possible to easily identify other players so it still plays out good enough to find its place on regular small map rotations. The only negative point besides a misplaced palm tree (personal opinion) could be a possible music copyright infringement but with so many maps using that famous song I don’t see big issues here.

DM-3072-ScarE
Score [7.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
Scarlett’s Echo plays out like a very classic UT map which is good. Another definitive plus is the surprising amount of size, walkways, ledges, teleporters and open spaces packed into this map. Most items are quite well placed making the whole thing feel balanced. One could have argued to make the teleporters have different colors so you know which one is connected to which but it’s working out after a few tries. My main gripe would be the close proximity of the armor and thighs giving you an instant 150 armor.
Bots are good as well. They don’t use the sniper point as much as they should, but then again neither did I due to the steep sniping angle.

Build
Eviltom set his map on the cliffs of the ocean, and he did so without any spottable HoM effects. Everything was cleanly done. The upper walkways were realized through clever use of non-solids and invisible collision hulls which works out quite fine. Likewise the terrain is – aside from the difficult texture alignement – also well done. The map is realized in a very classic sense, harking back to the original UT99 days without any flashy effects and is done, again aside from a few misaligned textures, quite well.

Atmosphere
The map is an industrial / military outpost station set on the cliffs close to the ocean. Reads fairly basic but has been realized well enough to make it memorable. Add to that that very nostalgic UT feeling, making it one of my favorite maps of the contest.

DM-3072-TheInsaneTower
Score [7.0]
Spoiler
Gameplay
TheInsaneTower (yay, Tits!) is basically one long tube (or two, given the editor state) with various wooden stairs, ledges and interconnected Warpzones. The good thing about it is that it works way better than I originally thought it would. Depending on how many players you add, it can either be a Batman’s game of stealth and surprise or a frantic fragfest. Itemplacement is complementing both possibilities. Given the limitations of Warpzones there’s also reason why I haven’t seen any hitscan weapon in this map, but due the z-axis heavy nature of the tower splash damage is working favorably anyway.

Build
The basic build of the tower is fairly simple. The way the Warpzones are working, is not. The map goes a long way of hiding that little fact from you and it shows. Also, the giant spinning clock is a nice touch.

Atmosphere
The tower is less about atmosphere than it is about an idea. So you shouldn’t expect varied lighting or complex details. There are a few to support the idea and it does not hinder the actual experience so that’s good. What is not is the music – which is quite unfitting in my opinion and detracts from everything else.

DM-3072-TheVoid
Score [4.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
The Void is a pyramid kind of level. It’s basically multiple levels of platforms connected via elevators and platforms. It’s made entirely out of cubes with 64³ uu size which makes navigating with UT classic settings like I’m used to a pain (players can only jump up 48 units in classic). Invisible steps could have remedied that issue. There is almost no cover so if you can aim with the shock rifle, you win. Or if you can't, use the Rocket Launcher up top and shoot your opponent off. Still not a lot of combat variety here and the lifts also work against the fast paced concept too. At least the bots get around to some point. They do love to commit suicide however which wraps up this section rather nicely.

Build
The map is consisting of cubes and but 2 textures for them. There is 1 light actor and zone lighting.
The build is extremely simple but at least everything is working.

Atmosphere
Feels like someone tried to emulate MassEffect’s Geth core but was given only 2 hours. As with the previous map, it’s more about an idea but this time the end result neither plays well nor feels good. Still, the Skybox is a neat touch.

DM-3072-TyrsLair
Score [6.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
As with Arcturus, Tyrs other entry, you have a courtyard and an outer ring. This time the ring consists of two levels just above each other and those are cubistic instead of cylindric this time. However, the gameplay is almost identical, what is gained with the second level is made up for with the Flak gun’s “spray and pray” attitude which works wonders in the tight hallways.

Build
This map is another great example of a clean structured and well ordered build.
The reflective marble floor adds a few clippling issues, none to the mapper’s fault though. I didn’t spot any serious misalignments either. I’m not sure why but this map appears a lot brighter ingame than it does in the editor, though, to the point of me being slightly irritated. Some of the coronae could have been a bit smaller, too, and the lift isn’t properly pathed.

Atmosphere
A small castle type of map, well realized and with great eye for detail. Still no way of getting inside without crawling through the windows or phasing in, though. With everything added in, the ceilings are still flat.

DM-UnderHive
Score [7.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
This map surprised me in a lot of ways. One of these surprises was the gameplay. UnderHive has a great flow to it, good weapon placement, a few neat ideas and… a good bit of potential.
Potential because some of the upper areas are not properly connected to the rest of the map, the bots don’t get the RocketLauncher or Sniper Rifle when you play without Xloc and they tend to get stuck on the upper shelves of that area. I’m not sure why that is – there are no defense or ambush points set up there. Aside from that there is plenty of action all over the map. The dead end close to the Flak is no-go, though.

Build
ExpEM makes great use of the engines brushes and forms and puts a few effects to good use. There’s rotating ventilators that will tear you to shreds, too. There’s even zoning and trimming and all of it is perfectly aligned.

Atmosphere
Another example of a classic UT map. The brick part of the map is really striking and it’s really unexpected. Even though the map is rather empty, the use of interesting shapes and details make it feel clean. If anything, the main room could use more depth to its ceiling and some more divers lighting, either through color or effects.

Misc
This map has some good potential to easily be something greater then it is now. My request and advice would be to invest a few more hours and brushes into adding ways to the upper sniper area and spawning point, a second exit to the Flak spawning point (along with a healthpack maybe) and to look into the bots getting stuck in the upper areas. Still, as it is now it is a highly respectable entry. 

CTF-3072-ShoresArena
Score [7.0]
Spoiler
Gameplay
ShoresArena is an interesting idea about a beach closed off for a quick witted CTF standoff.
It is working quite well as you have the option to either go around or swim through light cover in case of a wooden bridge, then jump up either tower to get the flag and run back. Since fighting will take place over short distances, be prepared for frantic evading, especially when going up the maximum recommended player counts. In any event, it’s more of a fragfest than strategic team oriented gameplay. Also, bots usually stick to the planks which opens a player path through the water.
One thing that could have been realized slightly more in favor of gameplay are the lights since the author has used red and green lighting balls underwater which makes it sometimes confusing where you are. I might have been a better idea to use the red and blue lighting balls to mark each team’s terrain.

Build
The map utilizes well made terrain but unfortunately this wasn’t aligned properly. The wooden post and planks suffer from the same issue. It’s hardly notice in the action but it’s a little detail that flaws the otherwise nicely crafted map, the underwater lightsources around the map give the map a special arena feeling, like beach volleyball or something.

Atmosphere
Great atmosphere - a nighttime arena match that feels great. The beach setting hasn’t been used often either but it works out great here.

CTF-3072 – Treatment
Score [6.0]
Spoiler
Gameplay
Sometimes it’s the simple things that work out the best. When I first jumped into the map I thought it to be a rookie map and I failed that by a long shot. The map is so focused on hardcore gameplay that its simplicity is sometimes somewhat distracting however. You have multiple varied routes to the flag, even an underwater route that had me surprised once or twice in my first match on this map. It’s easy to get lost since there is almost no information aside from the texture color on where you are.
There could have been a bit more health and the ramps are kind of steep but that’s about it. A bit of Z-Axis couldn’t have hurt either. Still, the map is fast paced and allows for strategic gameplay.

Build
The map is super clean and a good bit on the boring side of things. What’s there however is built cleanly and most of the time also well aligned. There are no lightsources and there is no variation to color. There are also no Zones present but the botsupport is excellent.

Atmosphere
Due to its aforementioned simplicity this map still falls short a bit even if I wanted it to rank higher. This is because there is almost no architecture to speak of, what’s there is almost purely to supplement the gameplay in a simple and unobstrusive way. Ironically, this is also working against the map because there is no marker, no possibility of orientation because there is no architecture to give you a hint on where you are.

DOM-3072-TarydiumShrine
Score [5.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
TarydiumShrine is a big shrine in the middle of nowhere. Around the central structure there are a few pillars behind which are ammo, weapons, pickups and 3 domination points. The rest is around running around the pillars and hoping you score more points than the enemy team.

Build
Aside from the difficulty of aligning the round parts of the supporting structures, the crafting is actually quite nice with a few nicely realized ideas and effects. The center part could have benefitted from some additional trimming, though.

Atmosphere
It’s a shrine… in the middle of nowhere. I think I said that before. Okay you have to fly people in to actually let them into the shrine. If they know it’s there in the first place. Still, simple idea, nicely realized, with subtle effects added to that. With additional work aside from the contest restrictions it might be a great flyby map.

ExpEM
Adept

Re: 3072 contest reviews

Post by ExpEM »

Thanks for the review!

I agree with most of what you've said, particularly about the ceiling needing some extra work, at the time of release it's purely functional.

As for bots without xlocs, tbh I compleatly overlooked testing that, most of the path testing and tweeking I did do was to get the bots to xloc well.

Version 1.1 is in the works and will be uploaded in a wip thread for further suggestions and or fixes.

I may work on a extended version too.
Signature goes here.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For me you did it well, Translocator (rewritten of course) is my default stuff...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Swanky wrote:What is not is the music – which is quite unfitting in my opinion and detracts from everything else.
Yeah I thought so that some people may not like my music selection. I wanted to give this insane vibe through the music as well.
Maybe for the final pack I find a better fitting one ...even so I like the current music.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I may be a bit delayed in doing further reviews due to some home drama, but I had previously posted some reviews in Screenshots for Fun a couple weeks ago. I'll try and catch up on all the maps when I get a chance, later this week, but here's the 1st batch I'd already done:
my earlier reviews still stand for those maps
EvilTom's DM-3072-Scarlett's Echo
Nice, open space. Intense action, bots go EVERYWHERE. Only thing wonky is the water... I dunno why but it just seems disconnected to me:

KingJosh's DM-3072-KingJoshCityLite
I know he toned down the detail to make it more playable, but I kinda wanna see it with full detail. It's beautiful, easy to play, bots go most places but tend to get stuck in the bathroom (but then again, who doesn't?)

Terraniux's DOM-[3072]TarydiumShrine
Love this to death for so many reasons... although I didn't see the contest logo anywhere:

Tyr's DM-3072-TyrsLair
Close quarter intense action, shiny floors, simply amazing skybox:

As reviews go, they are admittedly VERY brief.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Swanky wrote:DM-ItalyKinda
Score [3.5]
Spoiler
Gameplay
So this little town center should be a city’s little Italy. Why not? More importantly, why did I get telefragged if the author advertised the map as playable with 10 players?
Furthermore, I think 10 players is way too much. While the map tries to recreate a little meeting point in a town, it gets cramped immediately when adding anything more than 3 to 4 players. Navigating this slew of brushes, rooms and tight corridors is difficult enough.

Build
The map has a few interesting ideas but falls short in terms of pulling it all off. Unfortunately, there are a lot of texture misalignments and I also spotted a few Hall of Mirror effects (all of them visible from the playable point of view, not just flyby), some on top of the buildings, some in the main court itself. Trigger and Ambientsound actors are visible. And there’s some deafening screaming ambient sound placed around the fountain statues. Likewise, lighting suffers from greening effects around the lamps even though there is some atmospheric lighting around the courtyard’s buildings and shops.
€ As of 13.11.16, the HoM effects have appearently been fixed. Does not change a lot about the score however given how many other things to mention are still existing.

Atmosphere
Actually, it all wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the irresistibly loud screaming effect on the outside. It might have actually been fun to poke around the various shops and locations.

Thanks very much for the review :D
The problem of the visible actors which should be hidden, is caused by a unknow reason which makes all the actors placed visible, I wrote a post about it, I thought it was just a problem related to my UT gameplay, but now I know it's not just a gameplay problem, the bHidden is set visible directly in UnrealEd.
Regarding the ideal number of players, very true, I was thinking to reduce the number then I didn't in the end. Actually, I didn't even think someone would ever read the IdealPlayerCount.
I first set tables and the icecream list sheet as Transparent+Modulated+Mirror, like I did with the pharmacy floor, but it seems it gives lot of those HoM effects, so I left only the pharmacy floor with those settings.

EDIT: And anyway, the new version I posted days ago, doesn't have those visible actors you said, maybe UnrealJecko didn't update the maplist yet :/
Let me quote him here so he can receive a pm .o.
UnrealGecko wrote:
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Here is the updated version.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11857
Signature goes here.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Wow thanks for the review. It's a lot "better" than I expected.