A way to smooth shadows

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Eviltom
Skilled

Re: A way to smooth shadows

Post by Eviltom »

Sacrilege! I lost hours/days/weeks??? Months??? Of my youth to that map :lol2: there were some great teamwork tactics on that map if you could find a few like minded players and you could dominate the run and gunners!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Wanna find more CTF-Face data ? We can put some samples:
- game-play is OK because of such idea indeed somehow successful;
- execution side do sucks, no, I lie, it's utter trash - BSP shite in BlueBase are covered with BlockAll making imposible to pick weapon felt there and making Bot useless mooing at weapon in BlockAll, I was even falling once into void while I was fooling around. C'mon you probably did not play that much if you say that it's Great. Also some area cannot be used for ComboShock because of "great quality".
- map A.I. is unbalanced - some snipers hunt you but others not because of super duper "teamtrigger" setup- Where is fair play ? I'm wondering who is the first cheater then ?... EPIC themselves, yeah cunts... so I have the right to be a cunt as a random reply. If you don't understand what I mean see teamTrigger code and setup from CTF-Face - hard to believe but is deliberated miss-balanced even checking strings from triggers > "likeemall" "killemall" - More to say ? Nah... Always the same route with Flag :loool: .

If I recall well I could see Face][ done - question stays: WHY ? Why was supposed to be a "remake" even others by some "clans"? Probably was perfect, right ? As a matter of fact, that original one no longer exist in my repository, seriously I don't have a single reason to cry for it - I harder was able to setup one more fair balanced but... the way of building those brushes was a crappy mess... BlueBase is a sample of a "never do that".
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

It was never imbalanced when playing multiplayer and I defenatly never randomy fell into the void, and your defenatly underestimating how much time I spent playing this map :lol2:
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Pfft, plebs.

This is how you terrain:
DowntownTerra.JPG
Be moderate on polycount, don't be afraid of non-standard terrains brushes and always preffer semisolid addition over flat surface, the thinner the space between the solid flat surface and the terrain the better:
DT_Layout2.JPG
Don't substract terrains, do not substract terrans and lastly, never substract terrains.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

:roll: I subtract terrains... But then I don't use those nasty standard ued terrain brushes.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

SzGergo wrote:Than set up some illumination from a distant place, so the lighting angels would be less different for the different faces. I would set the properties of the faces as "special lit" and put lights set as "special lit" above it.
I didn't get I had to set lights as "special lit" too, I didn't read it well, but yeah, it works great!
UnrealEd view of one of the lights and some surfaces set as "special lit":
HalfResult.png
Gameplay view(final result):
FinalResult.png
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

"Wanna find more CTF-Face data ? We can put some samples"

I never play CTF, and never had a reason to check that map. glad I didn't :lol:
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Eviltom wrote:It was never imbalanced when playing multiplayer and I defenatly never randomy fell into the void, and your defenatly underestimating how much time I spent playing this map :lol2:
Definitely you were running and gunning and not touching those bad areas, without spending a bit of time in exploring it, to not mention A.I. like I said (read it again) - SNIPERS. Enjoy BlockAll from BlueBase - or you are RED all time, aha... You don't have to protect CTF-Face like that, because hundreds of players know what it is regarding in how fancy it sounds or it wants to look like - heh... ledges. Remakes were done with reasons not because map is not pink. No worries, before preparing any UT server anywhere for me this is first thing to "adjust" - simply removing it at once with other stupid ones done in the same way. Also I don't want speak about my CTF with some Team Monsters and what I noticed at original - I forgot mentioning "expanded" game options... which... nvm, enjoy it 100 years...
Higor wrote: Don't substract terrains, do not substract terrans and lastly, never substract terrains.
Hm... I would expect some "why not" explanations here. I see a lot of options - some Brush builder from Editor being included and which can be primary subtract. If this is wrong I'm just curious why it's not recommended this way.
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
SzGergo wrote:
Gameplay view(final result):
FinalResult.png
Looks pretty cool :tu: