Property Flipper tests sampler map.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Property Flipper tests sampler map.

Post by Red_Fist »

From Legend entertainment. trying in UT

I will upload the new one, it's odd in that you can set it's object to trigger control, None, toggle and timed, there is no normal trigger and is a keypoint, that needs a tag to work.
So I tried the ATTITUDE_ from , Pawn starts out friendly that I set, (MH forces hate) but when I hit the friendly it works, but I can't make him again hate without shooting, the old property changer did work.

But this one gives you a much more fine tuned thing,for more more property types, like I select "string" for the attitude.

It might be the old one has problems for online things though, so maybe this will function properly. Besides I am just testing but I don't think there would be a need to switch attitudes back, just switching it once.

Download, remember this was written for Wheel of Time, in the Unreal1 editor, but I don't think that is a factor for UT or other versions of the engine. I did not play around with all the properties, so, check it out !!

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... 692GlmPWoM

and if anyone gets a virus warning, your anti virus is a pile of crap, lol

Here is the deal, so far.

I put 2 triggers , one turns on the neutral zone, other off, with 2 property flippers
I set each trigger to,,,,, other trigger turns on.
Then I set the property flipper to,,,, Trigger timed, and the timed duration in the property flipper settings, stays at zero.

seemed to work

The default for property flipper is, trigger control, so to switch something so it stays switched, you have to change that.

Sample Map
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... BrqSg5WD04
Last edited by Red_Fist on Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Property Flipper tests

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I think there is a disconnect from the UT engine but have figured out a few things and problems.

I finally got the rotation to work, but it don't work using the new actor settings like it should, (unless I missed something).

The way I got it to work was instead of using the Property Flipper settings , I needed two of them, one as a string value, the other as the Physics value. with a dispatcher.
But the internal settings don't work that are there for that purpose using only one property flipper.

I am trying the "Vector" now, but even with the two, the item don't change the location.

So there is some code disconnect (maybe even just syntax), within the UT version from the WOT version engine. And is probably some easy code fix to make it work the way it should.

But other things work very well, since it doesn't involve more than one setting to be flipped.

Now the old property changer works better for some things, but I think it has problems for online play, but can't do other things I wish it could.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Maybe you should edit to merge the posts? :/
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:I am trying the "Vector" now, but even with the two, the item don't change the location.
Some properties cannot be changed by modifying the variable values, for example the CollisionCylinder or the Location. You need to call the engines functions for it (SetCollisionSize() respective SetLocation() for those examples). SetCollisionSize() is handled by that code, but not SetLocation().

By inspecting that code I was asking myself why the coder has introduced several data types for one property value - everything is converted into string later and passed to SetPropertyText() (except SetPhysics() and SetCollisionSize()).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:Maybe you should edit to merge the posts? :/
He can't because you answered directly after him. :wink:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The Attitude does work, but takes a little longer, a couple of shots.

But yet the only way to get them to attack again (or might need some pawn settings) but if you make them hate the second time, you need to get them to dodge (skaarj) and they will go back to attacking.

I have an example map with a bunch of things that worked, but was trying to add more things so people can see it in action.
and the settings.

I still have zero knowledge of how Bool interacts at all, everything on the map is trial and error, but will work when I send it.

I 100% wanted a so-called double post this time. besides it was far longer than 24 hours, and a new thread. and I deleted the text from the other thread.

Wish this thing 100% would work, such a great problem solver no matter what gametype it can get you out of situations that ruin your original idea for a map. all though most things work very well already.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Barbie wrote:By inspecting that code I was asking myself why the coder has introduced several data types for one property value - everything is converted into string later and passed to SetPropertyText() (except SetPhysics() and SetCollisionSize()).
Not sure if I got what you mean but SetPropertyText() doesn't rly work with everything, not even with stuff it is supposed to cast correctly(like vectors and rotators). When I was making the AdvancedMutator I had to make functions to cast these values just because SetPropertyText() doesn't work correctly.

Constants actually can be set using a simple hack, calling ConsoleCommand from an actor and passing "set <CONSTANT_NAME> <VALUE>".
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

This is driving me crazy, it must work because the same guy wrote it in for WOT and then Unreal2 and no one would put code in if it wasn't tested, and then use the same vector property in a newer engine years later.

And I also got no action in the WOT editor !! , got to be a way to make this work by adding another one in somehow.

I got the rotation rate working perfectly, one trigger is off, then medium and then fast rotation rate, but doing the same with 2 property flippers for vector ain't working. :evil:
Well I will try the collision next and see what happens.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:This is driving me crazy
May I ask what you want to achieve?
(I remember your usage of lots of PropertyChanger in MH-Spillway what also could have been done more easily by a custom Actor: a glass cylinder that does an earth quake, spawns explosion balls and destroys itself when triggered.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Right, if you know how to code, no help for me or average mappers.

I have one example of millions, say you walk between a row of skaarj on both sides, step outside that path and they all change into attitude hate.

There are so many things, one I found on WOT, is they have a old wooden wagon on it's side crashed, with a loop mover for one of the wheels, they did a sequence, like explosion or something. (have to play to see again) . But they use it to make the wheel stop, a minor thing but makes it an easy idea to be realized.

I have not tried yet, but I think you can change textures on meshes or walls or something as you play. So you could change a pawn from green as friendly, and red as Hate, and back again.

The list is really endless, only your imagination Plus if it can manipulate movers , or mover textures, or have a room of static items,like a goal, rather than just some switch, shooting it would make it stop, without movers,since movers flicker when there is too many around.

Also you could switch max desirability on the fly or extracost, to giude bots in a very smart way.

You can switch a neutral zone on and off, or a water zone on and off, fog light low high off, light effects on off, brightness hue change colors. Or black out all light and turn them back on.

Like a switch and a red light locked door, using one light, change it to green when the door is open or unlocked

Manipulate the speed of a rotating skyzone.,

Say a puzzle, you hit the right combo of buttons inside a neutral zone (or some other goal), if not, the zone turns off and pawns kill you, as you re-spawn you could reset the zone and try again. Or change the damage of a zone per second without a preasure zone.

Or a Nali locked in a cell, rather than a row of movers, just hit the button, the locate outside the cell, and not use a row of teleporters, less paths and for a one use time, all those teleportes just sit there after one use.
Or you could even turn a teteporter active and inactive on the fly.

You can also turn texture pan speed, slower faster, off, try that with code, this thing makes it doable in a minute, no code.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow, collision works really good, however it will reduce it only down the the actors default radius, so collision using the PropertyFliper setting won't make it Zero Radius. Could use as a change radius size, as opposed to on off.
But if you made a new actor with default of zero radius, you could use it to turn it on,off.

But I set up another and set it to Bool and trigger toggle of the propertyFlipper settings. I setup 4 , one for each collision type. So I can walk into the trigger and remove all collision types at once (one trigger with dispatcher), then trigger again, and goes back to blocking.

Using a blockAll for the test. but using Bool, pretty sure it won't matter what actor you use.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:however it will reduce it only down the the actors default radius
From what I've seen in the code, there is no such restriction:

Code: Select all

case TYPE_Collision:
	OldCollisionRadius = IterA.CollisionRadius;
	OldCollisionHeight = IterA.CollisionHeight;
	IterA.SetCollisionSize( CollisionRadiusValue, CollisionHeightValue );
	break;
There must be some other thing outside that PropertyFlipper preventing setting those Radius and Height to zero...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I think it's better to use Bool for an ON OFF situation. "bCollideActors" etc etc set it to Bool and use trigger toggle in the propertyflipper settings but all my triggers are set to , other trigger turns on, all the time.

That way you can turn off (or back on) the ones you want.

But if you wanted to decrease-increase size, down to 10, (or make a new actor default as zero), but then increase it to block a larger area. I think if it is set to 0.000000 means 10, since that would be the default actors "zero", Maybe it can be set to -10.000000 I have not tried that.

I just tried it, and it worked, I entered -20.00000 for each width-height, and no collision :tu:
(correction, height just needs -10.000000)

I am trying to see how the texture setting is working now.

And once I get this map done, I hope I can get you to test it for server things, I have a lot of examples in it now, and will be an easy test. be cool if everything works.

I put all the descriptions in the trigger texts so you know what it is for, or does, as you play. And all the triggers are not hidden.

side note
In Unreal2 I see a bunch used as bool, and they use bHidden, I think they hid things after you did something, and using bool, they could be unhidden as well. They also used it to change music or something.

EDIT
Well so far the only thing I got the texture working for is to change coronas on a light. (skin)
It can't do brushes because you can't make them, not static.
I also believe it won't work on meshes texture since it's coded in, but it might work for skin or multiskin., I am talking "texture" setting in the property flipper usage only.
Yes it changes skins on pawns. so you could do a visual effect, lets say if a pawn walks into a tunnel, have it trip a trigger to make it darker one trigger on each end to switch it back.. Or you could even make other pawns change their look for certain map goals.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well you should get an idea of what to do if you need this actor for anything, it's a handy thing to use.

Hope someone takes some time to try each function with a server to see if it ALL works online.
(Or maybe nothing works, :wth: )
The possibilities are endless if you need to work something into a map for a simple fix or effect.

Map with sample uses of the property flipper.

I am not sure how to get vector to work, and other ones I did not mess with.
When you flip the friendly skaarj to hate "attitude", then back to friendly, it does become friendly again, but it still shoots a few extra shots maybe 2, then it will turn friendly.

I didn't do much with paths, I might make a separate map for that.

And for us simple minded people, it looks like when they use the small "b" in the property, like bHidden, means you can use "Bool" type, in the property flipper. Then you tell it to make it ,false, or true, each time you bump a trigger.

Propfliptest map zip file.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=07A ... BrqSg5WD04
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Man, these ideas are OK, but several things have to be done with something using a minimum of Net Code because not all properties are replicated well into clients. I simulated a Train Stopping using that TexturePan speed but the thing operating is simulated in order to take place in client, else is not that easy.
For more testing guaranteed you don't need anyone with a server, you can test by your own. Just give to map a proper name and hit Button - that simple.
[attachment=0]Basic_Net_Check.JPG[/attachment]
This is the basic version of a Net/Lan server which needs a minimum of net code in order to run well certain stuff - it is pretty relevant at this point. This way you can see which things are operational and which are not operational without to call client in execution. As a matter of fact, sometimes you need hacks and using other actors than supposed. By example that background map from picture having ambientsound ported by a mover is doing sucks ON-Line so I went to other actor which does the same thing with no problems and dynamic ambience do sounds properly. In fact I think that AmbientSound from UT is pretty much useless - a trash, a lot of actors might query sound more properly and it is audible according to actor's location and this way you can do 2 in 1 things: decorating and sounding in the same time.
Attachments
Basic_Net_Check.JPG