Embedding Creatures

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Embedding Creatures

Post by HOT_BEEF_INJECTION »

I made a map called Shark Tank which has a large pool with large devilfish and biterfish swimming around.

biterfish are banned/disabled on the server i am creating the map for (uk Siege). This ban leaves the shark pool empty and less realistic to me, so I want to fill the void.

I need the biterfish because they alert the sharks that somebody fell into the water. Also they add to the realism of the map because they break the water's surface. :)

Can anyone tell me how to embed a class of biterfish that would work?
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Embedding Creatures

Post by sektor2111 »

Points to take in account.
Point no. 1: Forget BiterFish and think about BiterFishSchool - do testing map local first.
Point no. 2: Me personally by example I'm using monsters in my games, but not monsters coming with map - some of them are bad set so I'd rather prefer to spawn my creatures hunting around and not some defaults unable to do nothing.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

1) Why are those fish banned?

2) It seems weird to me there's not more than 1 versions of biterfish. For pretty much every other monster ever made for the Unreal series there's literally dozens of versions of them made by different monster creators.

I'll poke around and see if I can find something.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

EvilGrins wrote:1) Why are those fish banned?

2) It seems weird to me there's not more than 1 versions of biterfish. For pretty much every other monster ever made for the Unreal series there's literally dozens of versions of them made by different monster creators.

I'll poke around and see if I can find something.
For 1 - It's just a settings that was permanently shut off from the server admin or so. Oh well.

2 - There can be some already made edits but if they subclass from biterfish, that wouldn't work because of case 1.

3 - A bypass around this may be another custom script that use other displayable classes but would have to rather embed it into MyLevel if it just going to be one.

That's all I can think of but BiterFishSchool would be interesting to see if it work or the server admin probably disabled that too.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I was talking about BiterFishSchool AFTER reading Biterfish.uc script which is self explanatory... but not for cube drawers only.

Biterfish follows parent School Pawn else it is self destructing because its job is to track mother School and not roaming like a lost UFO.
Else... in servers which doesn't allow Non-Players you can forget both of them - good luck with embedding creatures then... If you are a bit smarty, you'll use some custom decorations simulating fishies... or simply thinking at something different.

What I'll do ?
Customized Book animating properly the fish mesh. Attach book(s) to some attach Mover(s) moving triggered based on a StochasticTrigger randomizer, initialized at game-start by TimedTrigger. And that's all, for decorating purposes you don't even need any Pawn after all, all you need is UScript + MyLevel and nothing else.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Chatted up medor, he recommended this · http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... =51&t=2315

There's a type of biterfish in there that's tougher than usual and may fly.

Also other biter things... like a BiterCow.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

EvilGrins wrote:Chatted up medor, he recommended this · http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... =51&t=2315

There's a type of biterfish in there that's tougher than usual and may fly.

Also other biter things... like a BiterCow.
I DL'd Pack3 which has the DeathFish you mentioned. I inserted the .u file in System folder. How do I add the class of fish to the map? I have no power to summon anything on the intended server. :/
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:How do I add the class of fish to the map?
Open Actor Class Browser, navigate to Actor > Pawn > ScriptedPawn > DeathFish and add it to your map. (You have to add "Pack3.u" to your map distribution.)

Nota bene: It seems that the coder had no understanding of object-orientated programming. The code looks like a copy of "DevilFish" with replacements of the Mesh and their animation names. Furthermore the code has been stripped - maybe no one should see such sophisticated work? :ironic:
Some wired default settings are also detected:
  • BiteDamage and RipDamage are set to the maximum of 255 (DevilFish has 15/25)
  • MeleeRange is set to 0 - why BiteDamage and RipDamage then at all?
For testing I added a DeathFish into water in a test map - it is just jumping out of the water and falling back continuously...
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION
Experienced

Barbie wrote:
HOT_BEEF_INJECTION wrote:How do I add the class of fish to the map?
Open Actor Class Browser, navigate to Actor > Pawn > ScriptedPawn > DeathFish and add it to your map. (You have to add "Pack3.u" to your map distribution.)

Nota bene: It seems that the coder had no understanding of object-orientated programming. The code looks like a copy of "DevilFish" with replacements of the Mesh and their animation names. Furthermore the code has been stripped - maybe no one should see such sophisticated work? :ironic:
Some wired default settings are also detected:
  • BiteDamage and RipDamage are set to the maximum of 255 (DevilFish has 15/25)
  • MeleeRange is set to 0 - why BiteDamage and RipDamage then at all?
For testing I added a DeathFish into water in a test map - it is just jumping out of the water and falling back continuously...
TY i will try this when i get a chance :D