Personal rank: DHR

Re: UnrealEd 2.0 Video Tutorial now on YouTube

Post by smeerkat »

Special Brushes tutorial, Part 1:

- The 'Add Special Brush' button
- How to add a Masked Decoration
- Changing grid size to 1
- What is an Invisible Collision Hull?
- How to add Water to your map (Zone Portal)
- Texture panning
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Nice stuff. I literally hate putting things away 1 unit on the grid :omfg: Most of the time I mess up everything
Anyway I was wondering if you knew how to make an elevator (or mover, whatever) that has like, multiple components.

I managed to make an elevator with chains, and make them go up or down together with the elevator (easy; although be careful what's on the other side because the chains might appear on another floor lol).
BUT... what if there's another component? Like a pulley, that is COMPLETELY DETACHED from the actual mover and does a different movement altogether. I'll draw something to show

The thing should spin on itself as long as the elevator is going up; and of course will spin in the other direction when the elev goes down

To be honest im not sure if it's possible, i don't think i'll ever see it in a map (maybe in bunnytrack or something)
Attachments
x.png
x.png (9.02 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

A mesh could do this... maybe.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Im not sure if it is possible with only one 'rope roll'. ( read: mechanisms ) Fun thing to investigate. :rock:

But I do know it is possible with two rope rolls. Like this:

Make them separated movers and on-trigger movement. One for up and the other for down.
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

By playing game more time than time spent in Editor you might find maps like MH-LandOfEternalSunset having some mover with chains closer to this. Of course some stuff there is not the best ever for admins and doesn't include Bot support but... It looks well enough... (I have a "place-holder" until a clean release will be coming up).
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:MH-LandOfEternalSunset
Does anybody have a download link for this? I've only found a compressed version, but I'd like to have the complete archive.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

G00gle Destination Unreal and see here maps and "maps".
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

sektor2111 wrote:By playing game more time than time spent in Editor you might find maps like MH-LandOfEternalSunset having some mover with chains closer to this. Of course some stuff there is not the best ever for admins and doesn't include Bot support but... It looks well enough... (I have a "place-holder" until a clean release will be coming up).
never played monsterhunt, also i know there is a deathmatch map (i think by david) that had a similar elevator to what i drew.
i don't even know what the rest of your post mean? why bot support, it's just a decorative element to make the elevator look better? maybe you meant in the mh map?
i'm downloading that later :thuup:
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
OwYeaW
Experienced

Post by OwYeaW »

Zanna wrote:Nice stuff. I literally hate putting things away 1 unit on the grid :omfg: Most of the time I mess up everything
Anyway I was wondering if you knew how to make an elevator (or mover, whatever) that has like, multiple components.

I managed to make an elevator with chains, and make them go up or down together with the elevator (easy; although be careful what's on the other side because the chains might appear on another floor lol).
BUT... what if there's another component? Like a pulley, that is COMPLETELY DETACHED from the actual mover and does a different movement altogether. I'll draw something to show

The thing should spin on itself as long as the elevator is going up; and of course will spin in the other direction when the elev goes down

To be honest im not sure if it's possible, i don't think i'll ever see it in a map (maybe in bunnytrack or something)
this is definetly possible

make that spinning thing as a second Mover and give it a rotation movement with the Key positions ( the higher the elevator goes the more you should let it rotate)
give it the same MoveTime and StayOpenTime as the elevator and make it TriggerOpenTimed
give it a Tag: spinningmovertag

then in the elevator Mover Properties under Mover look for BumpEvent: spinningmovertag

so when you touch the elevator the spinning mover will start moving at the same time
the spinning mover will spin back and forth just like the elevator goes up and down

and if you also want the spinnng mover to go up and down together with the elevator then you should attach the spinning mover to the elevator mover by making the elevator an AttachMover and give it AttachTag: spinningmovertag
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Semisolids and BSP tutorial:

- The 'Add Special Brush' button - Semisolid Pillar
- How to change the solidity of an existing brush
- Brief explanation of BSP - Binary Space Partitioning
- Using solid vs semisolid pillars in your map
- Console command: stat fps
- Comparison of Nodes / Poly count when using semisolid brushes
- Quick run-through of DM-Tempest (Node:Poly ratio)
- When to use semisolid brushes
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Texture tutorial:

- The 'Surface Properties' button - top toolbar
- Unlit, Special Lit, U-Pan, Mirror, High Shadow Detail, Bright Corners, Fake Backdrop - with examples
- How to scale a texture
- Volumetric brush
- Texture Pan and Texture Rotate - left toolbar
- DM-Deck16][ - reduce texture packages in your map
- Console command - Texture Cull
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Zone Portals and (low) gravity:

- The 'Add Special Brush' button - Zone Portal
- Zone Portal attributes
- How to add a WaterZone
- How to add a LavaZone
- Zone Velocity (X, Y)
- Zone Gravity
- Invisible Zone Portal brush
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

My terrible cold is not going to be over soon I think. 5 weeks now. bleerrrtghhh :noidea

My headset broke down too. I will do the couple of next tutorials with clear, subtle text. If that is ok. Then I can start tonight work on the part 2 of assault. After that MonsterHunt.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I goto the "unrealed.ini" and make it so nothing is docked, and only the mesh browser is "active"
All my actives are set to 0, accept the first one. all no docking

Seems to stop crashing a lot. In UT2004 same thing, but you must have the mesh browser to active.

-- Edit by UnrealGecko --
Terraniux wrote:My terrible cold is not going to be over soon I think. 5 weeks now. bleerrrtghhh :noidea

My headset broke down too. I will do the couple of next tutorials with clear, subtle text. If that is ok. Then I can start tonight work on the part 2 of assault. After that MonsterHunt.

Go get some oily version of vitamin A 8000 iu eat it with a greasy meal. 3 days, GONE

If you plan on replying to multiple people, please do it on the same post using either the @ or quoting him
Binary Space Partitioning
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Go get some oily version of vitamin A 8000 iu eat it with a greasy meal. 3 days, GONE
Thanks, I will try that in the future. Today I will start making 2 tutorials :)