UnrealEd 2.0 Video Tutorial now on YouTube

Any kind of tutorial regarding U-Ed and mapping belongs here
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: UnrealEd 2.0 Video Tutorial now on YouTube

Post by Terraniux »

Part 2, this with text. My cold beeehhlllghh .

I might make a part 3 with some more insights of the actual gameplay of Assault. This covers more the spectacular actors an stuff.
Please enjoy

aHA2KCuP5DA
This member can only post when permitted.
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

Nice job! The advantage of using clear text is, the viewer can pause the video at any time and copy all your notes. 8)

Here's my latest video:

Adding a Skybox to your Map

- Surface Properties = Fake Backdrop
- Building a separate room for your skybox
- SkyZoneInfo actor
- Skybox textures and properties (example used: ShaneSky)
- Proper scale for a skybox
- Orientation of skybox camera
- Lighting your skybox
- 'Search for Actors' button
- Some official maps and their skyboxes
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

I do not want to discredit any of your work on videos, I just want to mention why I prefer a written documentation:
  • I can decide the speed of consuming. On written text I can quickly fly over chapters that have no relevant information for me. Or I can red it multiple times if it is hard to understand.
  • Because I'm not a native English speaker (and listener) I can pick up unknown words and translate them. If they are written this is much easier than hearing them only.
  • Corrections and additions are easier for the author.
  • Examples can be given as textual or binary attachments (videos for example :satan: ).
  • Referring to a web page (and its chapter, if names are given) and looking up this by a reader is easier then referring to a video ("look at it from 2:34 to 3:12").
So please do not feel attacked, it is just my point of view.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Certainly both presentation formats have merit. I think what I'm finding particularly valuable with the video presentations is seeing an activity in action. Often when I read documentation I feel like I'm almost getting a concept, but there's a vital puzzle-piece that's just eluding me, and it doesn't matter how many times I re-read what's on the page, there's some element of assumed or implicitly implied knowledge that I'm lacking. I have a weird kind of digital-world disconnect in those circumstances where I want to interrogate the written word - like I might with an extended Google search - and have it give me more information. And it almost doesn't compute that I can't do that :)

So just seeing someone go through the motions, exactly which buttons to press in which sequence, and under which menu and so on, that's really helpful to me.
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

ShaiHulud wrote:... what I'm finding particularly valuable with the video presentations is seeing an activity in action. So just seeing someone go through the motions, exactly which buttons to press in which sequence, and under which menu and so on, that's really helpful to me.
I agree with this statement. If I wanted to learn, say, Hammer World Editor, I would learn faster by viewing somebody mousing over buttons and clicking/dragging brushes. Some people learn better visually, others by reading. And yes, I can bookmark the exact timestamp of a YouTube video. 8)
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Barbie wrote:I do not want to discredit any of your work on videos, I just want to mention why I prefer a written documentation:
  • I can decide the speed of consuming. On written text I can quickly fly over chapters that have no relevant information for me. Or I can red it multiple times if it is hard to understand.
  • Because I'm not a native English speaker (and listener) I can pick up unknown words and translate them. If they are written this is much easier than hearing them only.
  • Corrections and additions are easier for the author.
  • Examples can be given as textual or binary attachments (videos for example :satan: ).
  • Referring to a web page (and its chapter, if names are given) and looking up this by a reader is easier then referring to a video ("look at it from 2:34 to 3:12").
So please do not feel attacked, it is just my point of view.

We are not offended at all, we are very pleased with such commentary. It gives the people around you an idea of what you and others helps most. :agree1:
Everyone learns on different pace and manner, so in that perspective there isn't a correct way to learn. The correct way to learn is the way that helps you most without hesitation.

For it matters me, I'm still a rookie making tutorials and I do need to learn a thing or two also :wink: I'm doing what feels right for me and public.

But, perhaps we could make a text documentation on the topics we cover. Yet we don't want to re-write the UT-Bible. Just a different approach in the way we do it in 2017.

---
EDIT + PREVIOUS POST EDIT

DOWNLOAD TUTORIAL MAP : http://crystalunreal.com/Downloads/Terr ... orial1.rar

I thank all of you again for the commentary.
This member can only post when permitted.
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

Breaking Glass tutorial:

- Glass sheet brush, Invisible Collision Hull
- Reset red builder brush, set grid size to 1
- Intersect brush
- BreakingGlass actor and Properties
- Mover Properties
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Excellent! That (breaking glass) is something I want to add to a map I've had in mind for a long time. Thanks again.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah smeer, these are really, really well done. Clear, concise, easy to follow. You'd have been a rock star with this back in the day.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Nephew9999
Adept

Post by Nephew9999 »

waiting for bot pathing! :oops:
ShaiHulud
Adept

Post by ShaiHulud »

Nephew9999 wrote:waiting for bot pathing! :oops:
smeerkat covered that :P

viewtopic.php?p=95130#p95130
Nephew9999
Adept

Post by Nephew9999 »

ShaiHulud wrote: smeerkat covered that :P
viewtopic.php?p=95130#p95130
yay thanks! :agree1:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

My turn.
To be honest I prefer both methods, a tutorial written and then sample in a video (ignoring those which looks like are ignoring entire thread - their loss) - actually I downloaded those videos with high interest and I can watch them multiple times and at what speed I need... exactly as reading that information from a written doc.

These tutorials are executed well and explained well - I have a video cursor which I can move at video frame with maximum interest (example texture cull) I did not know that - and not only me - while I was working to remove errors from a StalwartXL map which is sucks. Finally I did it and I culled textures according to tutorial. Other commands according to wiki were crashing Editor instantly - no warning posted, nothing described as being harmful - was probably other useless command like that automatic pathnoding map,

@Nephew - Bot Pathing actually in 2017 has expanded options, whoever knows Bot Pathing will happily handle new stuff as well which is multiple ways superior to default Editor's goofing. When you are unsure about 2 Nodes around 2 ledges if are linked properly or not, XCGE will do link with any matter. The fascinating thing is that "wild" link is fully operational even in a plain vanilla UT install with no adds, improving A.I. game a lot.

From my previous StalWartXL race I could see multiple times semisolids through void. I have "vertex"ed them into map and after a few changes from semisolid to solid map went improved. Route to FlakCannon has been created and another good link to RocketLauncher.

To be honest I want to read (in English not German or French or Chinese) a complete story of semisolids because there are moments when they do helps and others when they do sucks. I wanna know when are not recommended and when are the only answer to a problem, and when BSP is going wrong computed - I see a lot of maps with "brushed chaos" without major issues and other more aligned having problems. What's the truth ?
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

sektor2111 wrote:To be honest I want to read (in English not German or French or Chinese) a complete story of semisolids because there are moments when they do helps and others when they do sucks. I wanna know when are not recommended and when are the only answer to a problem, and when BSP is going wrong computed - I see a lot of maps with "brushed chaos" without major issues and other more aligned having problems. What's the truth ?
http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-semi-solids/
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
smeerkat
Skilled

Post by smeerkat »

How to make a CTF map:

- Level Properties - Default Game Type = CTFGame
- File naming convention for CTF maps
- FlagBase Actor
- Red team = 0, Blue team = 1
- PlayerStarts > TeamNumber
- AlternatePath actor