Embedding music in a map

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Embedding music in a map

Post by Barbie »

Simple question: how to embed music in a map? I want to do that with a small Blank.umx or Null48.umx or such.
Neither Wiki nor G00gle has helped.
<EDIT>
Found it in wiki:
obj load file=Blank.umx package=MyLevel
Although it is not shown up in the music browser after adding it in this way it can be used by typing "MyLevel.Blank" in a property field. Alternatively the docked/undocked button in the music browser can be ticked for showing it.
</EDIT>
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: Embedding music in a map

Post by Chamberly »

I've known some maps that have music myleveled but I don't remember which.

Btw, why would add it to a map when the file can be a dependent package as other people already downloaded this file before? It only add more size to the map...
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

In that case I always imported something else regularily, and the MyLeveld content would appear. But you seemed to find a simpler solution. ^^ Btw, the same command can be used to transfer any type of unreal-related files (uax, umx, utx and such) to include in a .u-file.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Chamberly wrote:Btw, why would add it to a map when the file can be a dependent package as other people already downloaded this file before? It only add more size to the map...
I'm a friend of shared resources, too, but consider this Critical Error on client while redirected download.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

@Chamberly
If you are not sure if a name for your new music file was already used by another creator, can you prevent mismatches.
Also, it's not like no one other can use your music ...just load the map with the MyLeveld stuff and afterwards you load your own map ...now you can select it.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bigger size is not that harmful as a mismatch. A bigger file is playable after all, a mismatch NOT that much. I prefer to add Textures by example in MyLevel thanks to some losers as those which made a crap-ton of QuakeX textures and making a server to never run maps based on the same texture name, due to different content. Yeah, geniuses, look what you did unable to customize a personal Name - eh... I forgot that they are just like robots without personality copying things as a monkey.
That fart GrendalKeep or such has music inside for preventing mismatches but I have happily fixed it because it was all a mess BSP, Paths, Inventories, all in one crap. And yes, I'm polite, else I wouldn't tell you these.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:@Chamberly
If you are not sure if a name for your new music file was already used by another creator, can you prevent mismatches.
Also, it's not like no one other can use your music ...just load the map with the MyLeveld stuff and afterwards you load your own map ...now you can select it.
But it's a known old files (Blank.umx) so it would've already been taken care of, I guess.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote:
papercoffee wrote:@Chamberly
But it's a known old files (Blank.umx) so it would've already been taken care of, I guess.
Yes of course... but if someone has a Blank.utx or some genius made his own Blank.umx ... well :ironic2:

MyLevel in case of doubt.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I'm sure there is already another blank.uxx out there.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Chamberly wrote:I'm sure there is already another blank.uxx out there.
That's something we totally can agree on :mrgreen:

I mean, on my first try to map in UT ...around 2001 ...I created my own ArenaTex.utx :ironic: and didn't got it why I couldn't join a server afterwards.