MH-FNB-TOD-P1-BETA (MH Temple Of Dragons)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: MH-FNB-TOD-P1-BETA (MH Temple Of Dragons)

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm not sure if all Warnings there are that relevant. I used by example Movers porting decorations (triggering sound purpose) and for sure I put them in void with no issues. Else in another one CTF map (not mine) region was 0 for a PathNode which was very visible. These reports are probably based on some BSP tree bugs from build. Those Waypoints are probably unreachable. SkaarjScout was dying indeed right at beginning. I did 2 tests: MH simple = 399 creatures, MH2 400 creatures, probably that pupae... is at limit.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Does "None Default" mean it needs a new actor, that you can set the "default" property settings ?
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:I'm not sure if all Warnings there are that relevant.
Of course not, otherwise they were tagged with "Error"^^. Just take them as "have a look, there may be something what you not intended". Having movers in solid material is no problem for example. These BlockAll may also not be a problem because their collision cylinder goes beyond the solid space.
Red_Fist wrote:Does "None Default" mean it needs a new actor, that you can set the "default" property settings ?
Those "None Default" checks have two different reasons:
1) If bGameRelevant==True for an Actor, it will not be passed to the CheckReplacement() chain of mutators and therefore not adjusted, fixed nor replaced. I found that for example for some ScriptedPawns (default bGameRelevant is FALSE for them) in map MH-Hangar.
2) Actors with default bStatic=True and manually changed to FALSE by mappers are not spawned on clients on net play:
Client's UnrealTournament.log wrote:Warning: SpawnActor failed because class AmbientSound has bStatic or bNoDelete
To get them spawned a mapper should create a sub class and set bStatic==FALSE as default for it.
The other way - an Actor's default bStatic==FALSE has been changed to TRUE - as the MonkStatues here - is no problem (they just cannot be moved nor destroyed and don't receive timed events).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The part of this map (Beta2 version) that I have played so far is great fun - excellent design/layout, great atmosphere and textures and fun gameplay. Thus far anyway it seems capable of being played by one player which is my favourite form of MH.

I've only played part of it because I have had a similar problem to that experienced by EvilGrins - got to a particular point and was not able to go any further. Having 'cleared out' Temple Common (both the ground floor and the walkways\passageways) and 'done' the South Temple, I found the Sword of Valour(?) and returned to the start area (Temple Common). I assume (perhaps wrongly) that the door by the spawning area is supposed to open though, not having looked at the map in UEd, I don't know what might trigger that - perhaps killing all the monsters up to that point or a lever/swith somewhere? I wandered around trying to find something to open the door and/or searching for other ways to progress.

If progression depends on killing all monsters, then in and after the South Temple I did have messages saying "10 snipers left", "5 warriors to go", "one more group of krall" (or similar) but was unable to find any of these. Perhaps there is a problem with the counters or with whatever spawns these monsters? Also the timing of some of the monster spawning seems a little awry as, when I returned to the area where the Sword of Valour is, there were kralll there that certainly weren't there when I left (and I didn't hurry to leave, making sure as far as possible that there were no more Skaarj warriors or snipers in the open temple area) - had I not returned then I would not have been able to kill them.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Okay, i guess I should explain how i set this up (for better or worse :P )

The order of things:

Find 5 relics (one relic per temple)

You start by spawning in Temple-MAIN (the common area), then

1. go to South Temple - notice there is a BLUE ARROW pointing where to go. There's default monsters so fight your way in.
press the button, open the door take the sword. At this point "action music" starts and factories/counters are active.
kill all you can, but importantly kill warriors, snipers and kralls. they spawn all over the south temple so you have to go hunt
them all (it's monster hunt, right?) once you've killed enough, message appears, music changes now (action music stops).
Leave the south temple and notice - the West temple has BLUE ARROWs pointing to it.

2. go to West temple - lots of killin' in there - the button is up in an upper area. go press it, then the bars raise, jump down to open door
and take the shield. Now action music starts, new set of factories and counters are now active. Kill all the warriors, snipers, kralls you find.
Note these monster spawn all over and do wander outside into the common area so you have to run a big circuit to get them all.
Once you've killed enough, message appears, music changes (action music stops). Leave the west temple - notice BLUE ARROWs down direct
you to the crypt (a large area BELOW the main temple common).

3. so this is how it goes... kinda rinse repeat, but in different areas, clear the crypt area, find the switches etc, do what the green messages say,
and then follow the blue arrows. Crypt holds a helmet relic

4. after the crypt, there is the north temple - a flame relic

5. finally the east temple - a diamond relic

6. then there's a long corridor (spawns shift forward) after which there is a
BOSS battle. Once the BOSS is killed, continue to a portal

7. you appear in a skaarj base of sorts - take your loot to the control room in the tower
for each relic you climb the tower with more monsters each time.

8. jump into the orb to END.

Yesterday, I set the time 90 minutes, 3 bots masterful, 30 lives. finished the map with about 15 minutes left, no bots, 6 lives.
The last bot died in the ambush mover pit. I died three times getting across, from the flies. I buff up and udam kills brutes easy (vials 150+, shield, shock + udam)
BOSS fight/dragons very hard fight. Actually found that harder than the very END.

Anyway, that's pretty much it.
Hopefully some can now get through it to the end...

IMPORTANT NOTE - DO NOT USE THE VISIBLE TELEPORTER ABOVE THE COMMON AREA - THAT IS FOR TESTING ONLY!!!!
SAME WITH THE GIB GUN THAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE TELEPORTER.
If you decide to take them out then just rebuild pathes after.

I know that's what you did grins ;)

Cheers
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Movers can be excluded from void checks, decorations... need a PrePivot hack in order to keep them in the world.
BTW what void check are you using?

This is the most reliable one:

Code: Select all

if ( Other.Region.ZoneNumber == 0 )
         Log("Actor is in void: "$Other);
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Higor wrote:BTW what void check are you using?
My Delphi program parses the T3D file and uses the condition "Actor.Region.iLeaf<0". The ZoneNumber is not available in T3D exported files.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I played the beta2 version of this map today on a dedicated server and I must say it is a well made and good looking map!

First I list the bigger problems I had when playing it:

1. In the north temple there exists some warpzones understairs. I have the same issues with them I had in papercoffees last map CTF-3072-TheInsaneTower described here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11785&hilit=insane&start=60.
The direction of view changes automatically when entering the warpzone and then I am unoriented first.
I have to mention that this only happens with this two maps, I never had issues like this in other maps.
Before entering the warpzone:

After entering the warpzone:

2. First when playing alone this map, I had no problems when playing the end section: the skaarj base.
I took off one relic after another and climbed up the tower again and again.
Very good idea, it reminds me of a very old 2D computer game "Nebulus" where you have do the same and you have to pay attention not to fall down.
But then another player joined the match and we both pressed the buttons where the relics have to been put down and now it did not work anymore. We could not put down the rest of the relics even if the green fields were shown and could not teleport to the control room.
But the monster hunt end was reachable so we end the map.
It seems to be a multiplayer problem in this situation.

3. In the part of the long corridor there opens a new teleporter directly after the movable bridge when the first person enters the area.
I could not use the teleporter, perhaps it was my fault but I suggest to test it once more if it works correctly.

4. Please publish a version of the finished map without a shockrifle. Playing is too easy with it.

Now to some issues that are cosmetic nature only:

1. In the north temple I would suggest to remove the footbridges on top of the building. You can jump on top with a single jump instead.

2. You used a standard sky that can be seen in the north temple for example. I would suggest to change this to something more dangerous looking sky that fits more to the atmosphere of the buildings and dragons. Perhaps a sunset with deeper red or so. But it's only my taste...

Great work so far! I'm looking forward to the finished version.
OjitroC wrote:then in and after the South Temple I did have messages saying "10 snipers left", "5 warriors to go", "one more group of krall" (or similar) but was unable to find any of these
You have to go back to a previous area sometimes to find all monsters. It is a bit tiring to find all monsters because you have to check areas where you have been before several times, but I had no problems to go further then. It is more arena style sometimes but that also has its charm.
Last edited by Aldebaran on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aldebaran wrote:... I must say it is a very well made and good looking map!
I would certainly echo that :tu: and I really like the gameplay on this map.
Aldebaran wrote: 3. In the part of the long corridor there opens a new teleporter directly after the movable bridge when the first person enters the area.
I could not use the teleporter, perhaps it was my fault but I suggest to test it once more if it works correctly.
I found it worked OK, could go back and forth but I wasn't playing online
Aldebaran wrote: 4. Please publish a version of the finished map without a shockrifle. Playing is too easy with it.

You don't have to use it :P
Aldebaran wrote:
OjitroC wrote:then in and after the South Temple I did have messages saying "10 snipers left", "5 warriors to go", "one more group of krall" (or similar) but was unable to find any of these
You have to go back to a previous area sometimes to find all monsters. It is a bit tiring to find all monsters because you have to check areas where you have been before several times, but I had no problems to go further then. It is more arena style sometimes but that also has its charm.
I have found the source of my problem - I often play MH with MHMapAdjuster and had a go at this map using it - tried the first part 4 times and, although I had set the number of monsters to spawn in excess of those spawned in the various creature factories(?), it must have messed with the counters somehow - playing without it, everything worked fine with the arrows and messages appearing and the appropriate doors, etc opening - so I was able to finish it.

I will certainly return to the map again, probably several times, as it offers a challenging and enjoyable experience - it can be played as a single player, using a health regenerator (well, I have to anyway). The only adverse comment I have, and that is a mild one, is that the ending was a bit tame and, to some extent, cliched, with the warlords. Weapon carrying skaarj with plenty of health could offer more of a challenge perhaps - and a few gargoyles (and minatours) would perhaps fit in with the overall aesthetics and themes of the earlier parts.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

OjitroC wrote:You don't have to use it
No I don't. But I play it online with other players and then somebody else ruins the game with it.
But why don't publish two versions then, one with and one without shockrifle...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Aldebaran wrote:
OjitroC wrote:You don't have to use it
No I don't. But I play it online with other players and then somebody else ruins the game with it.
But why don't publish two versions then, one with and one without shockrifle...
Yes, I take your point - I think from his post and the readme that FraGnBraG is happy for people to edit the map to take it and the teleporter (which is a shortcut to near the end) out.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I would think the "we both pressed buttons" problem might need to use ONE event per dispatcher maybe a 0 .1 delay each. , I have not played the map yet. so I am not sure about things.

If he used a dispatcher that is., or should have.
Binary Space Partitioning
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Aldebaran wrote:The direction of view changes automatically when entering the warpzone and then I am unoriented first.
The problem with entering the warpzones in a wrong way appears more often now here in some other maps too.
I really want to know what's the reason for this.
Bad code in the maps? Occurs it only on dedicate servers or when starting local too? If I remembering correct I tested those maps with dedicated server without any mutators, so they can be excluded? Can server settings be responsible for this?
Have other users here the same probs I have?
I would appreciate for some feetback...
Last edited by Aldebaran on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Aldebaran wrote: Have other users here the same probs I have?
I would appreciate for some feetback...
No. I played The insane Tower off and online ...only a slight stutter in an online play. Offline was only once a problem when I entered the warp-zone too slow.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

I have tested DM-3072-TheInsaneTower_v2 on a v4.51 server now (has those warpzone too) with UT99 v4.36 client incl. Bonus Packs but without S3TC and it works! Only short time my InstaGib is invisible but thats not that thing.
Normally I use a v4.51 client - against the general recommendation - and had no issues with other things above all very seldom crashes.
So at this time it looks like a v4.51 client can't handle these warpzones in the right way...