Movers, Movers....

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Movers, Movers....

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hi Everyone:

Not quite sure how to set these movers up. I have a 1st mover that continually moves throughout the map. I want it to set another mover in motion when the 1st mover passes a certain point. So I want the 1st mover to trigger the 2nd mover into motion only when it reaches a certain point. I know I need a set of triggers, but I'm not sure what to set each mover / trigger at?

Thanks for any help.
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Movers, Movers....

Post by Barbie »

You can place a trigger in the track of the mover and set its properties TriggerType=TT_ClassProximity and ClassProximityType=Class'WhatEver'. In theory 'WhatEver' could be 'Mover' but I didn't get this to work. So I attached something else (Decoration>U) to the mover, reduced its DrawScale and hide it in the mover. Trigger's ClassProximityType have to be "Class'Botpack.U'" then.

Test map attached.
Attachments
TestMoverTrigger.7z
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

I see what you did there Barbie. But the "U" symbol is not attached to the mover? How does the message know to display "moverpassed" if the "U" symbol is not attached to the mover, thus not setting it off as it passes by?
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:But the "U" symbol is not attached to the mover?
Yes, it is: make AnyActor.Movement.Attachtag and AnyMover.Tag having the same, unique tag. Move the "U" out of the mover to see that it works.

See also Wiki: AttachingActors.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hey Barbie,
Could you take a look at the sample map I have here. I have a bucket moving on a timed trigger ( I attached the "U" to it to trigger another trigger). I want the bucket to trigger another mover at the end of the rail to extend down with the bucket, then go back up. I think I'm close, but I just can't get that 2nd mover to move in sync. I'm sure it's just a setting or 2 somewhere....just not sure what I'm missing.

Thanks.
Attachments
TestMap.unr
(72.37 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Some remarks to your map:

1) Assume you were told "Follow the guy with that red hat" and you see 3 men wearing red hats, what would you do? It's like the Actor "u": you told it to follow the Actor with the Tag "newlava", but you have 3 Actors with that Tag. So
Barbie wrote:make AnyActor.Movement.Attachtag and AnyMover.Tag having the same, unique tag.
2) I found what you want to build is the following process:
Move a bucket horizontal to the source of a liquid, move bucket down to fill it, move it up, back again and tilt it to empty it. If you do that with a default mover with 6 KeyNums, keep in mind, that after the last KeyNum has been reached, all previous KeyNums are passed in reversed order and therefore does not match the desired process. If this is ok for you, stay with this. If not, we have to think about how to archive this (maybe with a loop mover with Location(KeyNum[n-1])==Location(KeyNum[0])?)

3) You have used separate and independent movers for the bucket carrier and bucket, and all synchronicity depends on same move time. Maybe Compound Movers are a better solution to keep them in sync. Also consider MoverEncroachType: if bucket is blocked by Pawn, it returns while bucket carrier is moving on. :D

4) You want to archive the effect of an uncoiling rope or chain. I'd do that with 2 cylinder shaped telescoped Movers, one a bit larger than the other. Or stay with crossed shapes but twist them by 45° to avoid flickering surfaces. Move them synchronously until uncoiling time has come.

5) You have constructed the movers orchestration by timing. If you stay with this, you don't need a trigger for that "rope Mover" - just set its DelayTime accordingly.

6) Hint: If you want to use different move times for different NumKeys, use a GradualMover.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas Barbie. The simplest solution that you mentioned I had already tried (delaying the second mover so it moves in time with the 1st mover). The problem with this is that for some strange reason the bucket will dump one time and then not dump the next. It alternates between dumping and not, thus throwing off the delayed timing.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes I would think using a different mover type.
Binary Space Partitioning
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Loose Cannon wrote:The problem with this is that for some strange reason the bucket will dump one time and then not dump the next. It alternates between dumping and not, thus throwing off the delayed timing.
This is because you set up the bucket so that every second time it looks like the animation would begin from start again, but actually it does its first round backwards (but it looks the same, with the exception that the dump will be omitted between the end of the first round and the start of the second). To prevent that, you have to make the bucket a LoopMover. This one goes straight to its Keypoint 0 when it reached its final Keypoint, and thus always repeats steps 0 to 5.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Ahhhh. Ok. Makes sense. Thanks editor Dave!