taking a page from Serious Sam

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:24 pm

I found a great forum (mostly dead) filled with lots of great maps but sadly a lot of them have no bot pathing. This one in particular seemed ideal for a lot of customization so many could enjoy it online and off...

...for those of us who truly love some bots coming to our rescue when we realize our ego lied to us.

I've included a pathed version done by Nelsona + my final edit of his:
Image

Mostly monsters get increasingly harder to beat the further you go in, and before I forget... WATCH OUT FOR THE BUNNIES!

Usual Suspects:
==============
.u /system
.uax /sounds
.umx /music
.unr /maps
.utx /textures
.png - pwetty
.txt - this message will self-destruct

Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n1mjr0l3x ... fDeath.zip

In the ReadMe that goes with I credited some of the monsters' creators... but I was kinda sleepy and I think I forgot 1 guy.

Gargoyles & Minotaurs were made by Leo T_C_K

sorry paper... there's a LOT of walking involved here
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by papercoffee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:35 pm

EvilGrins wrote: sorry paper... there's a LOT of walking involved here
As long as it has proceeding spawnpoints.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:43 pm

papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: sorry paper... there's a LOT of walking involved here
As long as it has proceeding spawnpoints.
well... if you're really drunk or stoned while playing, it might seem like there are
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by papercoffee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:46 pm

EvilGrins wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: sorry paper... there's a LOT of walking involved here
As long as it has proceeding spawnpoints.
well... if you're really drunk or stoned while playing, it might seem like there are
Thanks ...then I'll pass.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:31 pm

papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:
papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: sorry paper... there's a LOT of walking involved here
As long as it has proceeding spawnpoints.
well... if you're really drunk or stoned while playing, it might seem like there are
Thanks ...then I'll pass.
okay, just for your lazy sober self I'm gonna try to find that Onslaught mod for ut99. maybe long walks won't be so intimidating for you if you're in a tank or a humvee
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by papercoffee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 pm

EvilGrins wrote: okay, just for your lazy sober self I'm gonna try to find that Onslaught mod for ut99. maybe long walks won't be so intimidating for you if you're in a tank or a humvee
Ah.... no, the Onslaught mod is quiet not my style.
But I'll try this check point mutators.

User avatar
Chamberly
Godlike
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora
Location: TN, USA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by Chamberly » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:58 pm

I'll use a checkpoint for this. I do know the map was made by someone else. & the walk is long as hell. Might as well use speed + dashpad @Higor lol
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Chamberly wrote:I'll use a checkpoint for this. I do know the map was made by someone else.
Indeed it was, and he's credited in the selection window.

Been trying since May to get ahold of the guy but like so many... he just up and disappeared.
papercoffee wrote:But I'll try this check point mutators.
You'll be happy to know I tested this for use with NW3 UltraGore and it plays just fine without bogging down the memory at all:
Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:06 pm

My recent efforts to kill the Cyberus has got me testing times to beat this map with various weaponpacks.

For example, Me + 8 bots
· Standard normal UT weapons, finish map in about an hour.
· InstaComboGib, finish map in 27 minutes.
· NW3, finish map in 45 minutes.
· Food Fight, finish map in 2 hours (=FF= really wasn't designed for fighting monsters)

Going to try Excessive & Dark Magik next.

Anybody with ChaosUT, give the map a go (you + 8 bots) and let me know how long it takes.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by papercoffee » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:37 pm

EvilGrins wrote: · Food Fight, finish map in 2 hours (=FF= really wasn't designed for fighting monsters)
What? Pussy!
... Now you got me interested. I'll just download this map and proof that you can beat it with Food Fight in shorter time.
Is everything in MyLevel? Or do I have to install some odd files to run this thing?

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by OjitroC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:49 pm

It took me (alone) about 35 minutes to finish it with Counter Strike weapons - mind you, I was using MHMapAdjuster to limit the number of monsters spawned by the creature factories (?) though a lot were spawned. What's the total number of monsters 'produced' in the map?

The thing about creature factories is that monsters spawn one after another in the same place, so armed with a sniper rifle or scoped assault rifle one can head shot them as they spawn. That's less effective with multiple factories and a time delay but still possible to some extent. That way one doesn't have to get in close combat with some of the more 'powerful' ones.

Some of the monsters are placed in the map so that they are facing the walls and they don't react to the player until shot!

To makes things easier, I avoided further contact with the cute bunnies after my first encounter.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:12 pm

papercoffee wrote:... Now you got me interested. I'll just download this map and proof that you can beat it with Food Fight in shorter time.
Gee, I dunno. All that running around? You might pass out.
papercoffee wrote:Is everything in MyLevel? Or do I have to install some odd files to run this thing?
There's 2 maps in there, I did my times on the one that ends with DNEG. All files you need for it are in there, in the .zip it's broken down into directories.

You'll see after you download it.
OjitroC wrote:I was using MHMapAdjuster to limit the number of monsters spawned by the creature factories
Wimp.

I don't know the exact numbers of monsters. It generates larger numbers the further you get into it.
OjitroC wrote:The thing about creature factories is that monsters spawn one after another in the same place, so armed with a sniper rifle or scoped assault rifle one can head shot them as they spawn.
Given how many enemies you have, that's a sound strategy.
OjitroC wrote:To makes things easier, I avoided further contact with the cute bunnies after my first encounter.
Are you scared of some itty-bitty lil' bunnies? If you don't kill them all then you didn't beat the map!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by OjitroC » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 pm

EvilGrins wrote: Are you scared of some itty-bitty lil' bunnies? If you don't kill them all then you didn't beat the map!
I certainly am since they seem to bring instant death - discretion is the better part of valour.

What I thought would be fun would be to have the Eants do their ambush thing so that they appear in front of you as you get close to them.

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6333
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by EvilGrins » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

OjitroC wrote:I certainly am since they seem to bring instant death - discretion is the better part of valour.
Some of my bots with great aim snipe them, or rockets, from a distance. I personally get in close, bunnies make a distinct noise when they are near, and then I run backwards and shoot low. That seems to work pretty well.
OjitroC wrote:What I thought would be fun would be to have the Eants do their ambush thing so that they appear in front of you as you get close to them.
I was originally gonna put the Eants where the bunnies are now.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
papercoffee
Godlike
Posts: 9346
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!
Location: Cologne, the city with the big cathedral.
Contact:

Re: taking a page from Serious Sam

Post by papercoffee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 am

papercoffee wrote:
EvilGrins wrote: · Food Fight, finish map in 2 hours (=FF= really wasn't designed for fighting monsters)
What? Pussy!
... Now you got me interested. I'll just download this map and proof that you can beat it with Food Fight in shorter time.
Is everything in MyLevel? Or do I have to install some odd files to run this thing?
I have to correct myself ...it's impossible. The first monsters have hit-boxes near the pelvis everything above is without hit registration (no matter which weapon mod you use). Food Fight with its reloading system is not fit for such a style of a map. But I died more because those weapons are somehow too weak in MH. :noidea used a full mag of Salad and only two got fragged.
The Steinfrucht is normally a good weapon in MH but in this map ... :shock:
The only weapon useful in this was the Brocconade (in arena style) but the most frustrating thing is really the long path till you get to the action after the fire Skaarj gets this map really boring.
Why not using those lights in the corner buildings as new teleporter ...when you killed all monsters activates the next one.

But I found a nice combination of mutators to play such over crowded maps... Combo Instagib light + Damage mutator.
The last-mentioned modifies self-damage and momentum. :ironic: I like.

Post Reply