DM-LastCrusader]|[: ChicoRuinsPack.utx mismatch

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Higor
Godlike

Re: DM-LastCrusader]|[: ChicoRuinsPack.utx mismatch - SOLVED

Post by Higor »

Did you conform the new texture file to any of the old versions?
Please refrain from replacing packages without conformation, otherwise it gets hard to keep track of which package is supposed to be the fixed one.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Higor wrote:Did you conform the new texture file to any of the old versions?
That's supposed, it looks like all mentioned maps are working. I did checks at number of textures creating folders with groups for comparing. Maps are working and they do look good, but setup is goofing... If you have another better ChicoRuinsPack hijacked to not cause any mismatch, please share it. Aside Try to teach me how to create such a texture - but probably will not help player with different content...
file from 2001 has a different structure compared with the one 2004, and 2010 looks the same as 2001 but, is just another one.
If you have one of these maps with problems because of this package let me know what did I missed, I've mixed all I had so far.
Else if you know 10 Chico ruined packages I would like to have them all for mixing. If tomorrow this guy will release another file and a new map, mix file done until this moment will be useless.
In other note, admins can look for him somewhere and calling him here for clarifications about what was doing, and why was necessary this whole mess which he/she did, and why others are supposed to fix these.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Rename any of the old ChicoRuinsPack.utx to ChicoRuinsPack_v1.utx
Rename the new complete package to ChicoRuinsPack.utx
Execute the following command:
ucc conform ../Textures/ChicoRuinsPack.utx ../Textures/ChicoRuinsPack_v1.utx
That'll create a GEN 2 package.
When you're done, backup the conformed ChicoRuinsPack.utx as ChicoRuinsPack_v2.utx.
This conformed ChicoRuinsPack.utx will have the same GUID as the ChicoRuinsPack_v1.utx package.
Update the redirect and servers.
Clients playing on maps that originally loaded THAT v1 will not need a new download.
Clients playing on maps that originally loaded another v1 (unconformed) will need to redownload the conformed package.

If 'Chico' decides to mess up the textures again you can put the new textures into the conformed ChicoRuinsPack.utx
Then run the following command:
ucc conform ../Textures/ChicoRuinsPack.utx ../Textures/ChicoRuinsPack_v2.utx
And you'll have a GEN 3 package.
And so on.

This process should have been used in MH 10 years ago, instead we got a full ton of mismatches.

EDIT:
Trivia: Epic games failed to conform Credits.utx from the v436 GOTY version to the v400 CD version, breaking DM-Cybrosis][ and all other maps that use this texture file.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

This post should be removed from this thread and made sticky. Everyone should see this that runs a server or creates content. SMH...I wish I had known this.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-LastCrusader]|[: ChicoRuinsPack.utx mismatch

Post by sektor2111 »

Number 1:
Honestly I'm glad to see Jack here, he might have some things to say about whatever problems and this is good for learning.

Number2:
I'm gonna copy Higor's post into my Docs and simply learning how to setup Quake whatever and Chico... the rest.

Number3:
Music also has "versions".

Number4:
Please forgive Epic, they did not read tutorials :ironic: and neither wiki with their docs :ironic2: .
Else they should RELEASE such INFO How To, but I don't see where this info has been hosted...

And NOW I got an idea about some fixes :satan: but I have to do some checks first...
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

Do we now need a newer ChicoRuinsPack.utx file with other GUID or should we use the last one posted, sektor2111?
It would be great if we can prevent file mismatches.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Right now my version is not *conformed* but I have conformed it with version from 2001 a few seconds ago. 2004 seems the one doing sucks being different. A new conformed package will be compatible with maps but I don't know what will happen with clients...
I'll remove that NON-Conformed one.

Off-Topic: Higor has just sold a trick which has a very big value - I think is around 100.000$ if not even more than that :agree1: :rock: . I Will Not Forget this day January 27 2017.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

On redirect server the admins should put the "ChicoRuinsPack.utx.uz" but also a copy of it as "chicoruinspack.utx.uz" (ONLY on redirect!) because some maps use the texture pack name in lowercase.
So all people who installed the version of yesterday please update to the version of today.

Many thanx for this fix and the tricks how to do this also in future!
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Fixing textures is helpful but... what was saying Higor it's more than that, community should be happy because we have such a member here. All I have to say shortly is that we might have to develop ReplaceFunction-#2.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Not at home, but can anyone comfirm this new package will work on Operation Na Pali? I believe some of the maps used the texture package (could be wrong).

I loved the look of some of the custom maps that used this the chicoruinspack. Glad to see it finally getting a fix! :rock:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

3rd Trigger:
When I read those words "//fixme" added originally into UScript classes, I did not realize how the heck can you solve (fix) these without messing up everything and without a bunch of replacements. Now I know... breakfast served - since yesterday. Waves at UTPG - More waves - Waves forever...
Also I will look for a solution in recovering EDITOR while is used engine v451. They removed something ruining Editor, which I'll put back, but I'm not rushing...
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

UnrealGecko wrote:can anyone comfirm this new package will work on Operation Na Pali?
In my ONP installation I have the same "chicoruinspack.utx" in filesize (3.151.438 Bytes) that sektor2111 has added to the new one.
Also a file "chicoruinspackONP.utx" exists for additional textures.

EDIT:
I tried this now:

1. I made ut99 client cache empty
2. I played a chico map from "Operation Na Pali" on different server, chicoruinspack.utx (3.151.438 Bytes) was downloaded
3. I played CTF-Hubris on my server that has the newest chico utx installed, but this new chico file was not downloaded so the ONP chico utx file was used from client cache
4. when voting for DM-LastCrusader]|[ I got this error message instead of downloading the newer chico utx:
"Can't find package in file 'Package chicoruinspack.ChicoRuinsPackwithoutfootstepsound',
can't play the map then
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Version fixed has ALL groups and has around 5 MB size not 3 (compressed is 3 MB - UTX is around 5) - added yesterday post Higor's small tutorial.
Version 5 which is currently in my GDrive should be in game-server and even Client based on this sudden new group which version 2001/2010 doesn't have "ChicoRuinsPackwithoutfootstepsound". Once file being in cache because server has a conformed file but structured different, your client will fail. Keep in cache texture having 5 MB and you might play in servers having older files and not vice-versa. If bad file is loaded in cache you'll fail to enter the game regarding to server's file.

Version 3.151.174 is dated in my folder 2001 - It DOESN'T include "ChicoRuinsPackwithoutfootstepsound" added later and neither version having 3.151.438, some maps dependent on that sh!t group will never start. According to Higor's tutorial, I got a common texture conformed with all these but... I guess player needs it as well due to new group requirement unless he will see a default white jelly texture or will not play game.
Yes, Chico was doing a mess in this package. Advice for player - stop messing things by adding files in client game -.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

What I want to say is, if somebody has an old version of the chico utx in client cache it can make problems as I descibed in my post before.
When having the newest chico utx in client cache after cleaning out client cache and playing on my server, "Operation Na Pali" works fine on the different server with the old chico utx on it.
So some people have to clean out their client cache when they have problems to play a chico map. But once loaded the newest chico utx into client cache all maps works fine as far as I can see.
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For clients loaded with old files I recommend some sleep, we cannot chat about game with them...

I have experimented some U files. As long as classes have the same structure there are no problems. In this case we have a new group added which doesn't exist in other previous/future textures - it's impossible for client to load something which doesn't exist.