Test map: can only spectate

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zanna
Average

Test map: can only spectate

Post by Zanna »

So I was messing around and spent a good time with editor
Now my problem is: this specific test map won't play. It lets me only play as spectator. Bots get added, but I can't play it. if I press FIRE it keeps staying in the spectating mode. It's really weird I probably messed up something with LevelInfo or some random stuff like that which I shouldn't have touched

I attached the map, maybe some good souls can take a look at it (it's just a couple of squares and a skybox atm)
Attachments
DM-Test.unr
Test map by Kas
(115.33 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Test map: can only spectate

Post by editor Dave »

I have never encountered this before! Even changing the gametype didnt affect anything. I then copied all actors and pasted them into a new map and it seems that some "Commander" actor was responsible for this. I couldnt make it visible in the editor but only access it via the search function. Anyway, heres your fixed map:
Attachments
DM-Test_fixed.unr
(115.07 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Ahaha I remember that. I was messing around with the actor browser, but then I made sure to delete everything :what:
thanks a lot Dave!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

der Kas wrote:Ahaha I remember that. I was messing around with the actor browser, but then I made sure to delete everything :what:
thanks a lot Dave!
That's the problem with UEd2.0 ...it's highly unstable and bugged. Sometimes are things, you thought you had deleted, still there.
We call those bugs and engine hiccups the UEd Goblin.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

So what actor was probably causing it? I'm curious.
This member can only post when permitted.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Dave said it was the "Commander" actor
I remember adding it, and then wondering "what the #@§$ is this?" because it was invsibile and couldn't select it anymore
Then I just forgot about it and had no idea it would make the map unplayable for players
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Editor is giving resources for both coding and mapping and... game. Not everything there is for MAPPING, you should track some tutorials first and even Wiki. Why should I put a PlayerPawn in map ? Which purpose ? PlayerPawn is not a Bot.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

der Kas wrote:because it was invsibile and couldn't select it anymore
If I add something to a map and cannot see a result, my first step is to look into the log window if anything has been added (maybe there was not enough space to add that Actor).
UnrealLogWindow.jpg
If that Actor has been added but is not visible for some reasons I use "Edit>Search for Actors..."
SearchForActors.jpg
If I want to delete or copy this Actor, I use UnrealEd's main menu instead of context menu. (Keep in mind that the actor list in the "Search for Actors"-Window is not updated after it has been opened so it does not reflect later deleted or added Actors .)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett