Three questions about mapping

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zanna
Average

Three questions about mapping

Post by Zanna »

i) is there anyway to make something "one-way" collision? I'm trying to make a bot use the impact hammer to reach a far spot; of course he does it by standing and then launching, instead of dodging. That's normal behaviour, so I added a kicker to simulate the thrust. the only problem is that the kicker works, of course, everytime the bot bumps into it. I guess the more complete question would be: how to simulate dodge and hammers in bots? (ps on this: probably the best solution would be to put the goodies in a better spot, and that's prob. what i'm going to do; but maybe there's a way, who knows)
always related to the same question: how about a suspended "nebula" bridge that can only be "collided with" from above? kind of like a magic path or something

ii) so let's say I have a cube. I want to add a decoration on the wall using a sheet. I can't. the sheet gets sucked inside the wall, isntead what I have to do is use an additive or subtractive brush and apply the new texture to the little carving (or the little bump if it was additive). Am i doing it wrong, or it's actually supposed to be this way?

iii) does changing the order of brushes mess up with the lighting at all?

der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Three questions about mapping

Post by editor Dave »

I) Concerning a "one way collision" I might have an idea: How about you make an invisible mover, that can only be triggered from one side (so make the trigger radius small enough)? Via the textures properties you can make all surfaces of this mover invisble.

II) Indeed, sheets have to float freely. If you place them just a few units away from the wall, it wont be noticed that theres a space between the sheet and the wall. There is also the option that you can use a "Panel" from the Decorations. If you add one of those, you have to go to "display" of its properties browser and change the "Texture" (and probably the "Style" which is translucent by default).

III) I am not aware of anything lighting-related being affected by ordering. Just to be sure, you can easily "select all Light" if you have a light selected, and order all of them at once to last.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

der Kas wrote:I want to add a decoration on the wall using a sheet.
Alternatively that is possible by Brush Sinking.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

der Kas wrote:i) is there anyway to make something "one-way" collision? I'm trying to make a bot use the impact hammer to reach a far spot;

ii) so let's say I have a cube. I want to add a decoration on the wall using a sheet. I can't. the sheet gets sucked inside the wall, isntead what I have to do is use an additive or subtractive brush and apply the new texture to the little carving (or the little bump if it was additive). Am i doing it wrong, or it's actually supposed to be this way?

iii) does changing the order of brushes mess up with the lighting at all?
i) my latest tutorial explains how to make a bot use the Impact Hammer.
ii) the sheet brush must be 1 unit away from the wall. Change your grid size to 1 and zoom in. Reset your brush (move to origin) if it won't move into the right position.
iii) depends. Why are you changing the order of the brushes?
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Barbie wrote:
der Kas wrote:I want to add a decoration on the wall using a sheet.
Alternatively that is possible by Brush Sinking.
I didnt know that this technique had a specific name! Well, Brush sinking is what I would actually recommend first if the texture you apply is neither translucent nor masked. I somehow immediately thought of the latter, thats why I did not mention it earlier. :lol:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Thanks for all the answer.

One way
The trigger idea seems interesting. Given that at the end I decided to modify the map a little bit, but still wondering: is a one-way "brush" (or something solid anyway) possible? Like a bridge made of light, similar to a beam of light. You can walk on top of it, but you can also pass through it if you're coming from behind. Now that I think about it, this is most likely impossible...

Impact Hammer
I saw the video, pretty interesting stuff with the bots. The "problem" is that the jump is vertical, while I wanted to make it horizontal. I've never seen a bot do it though, so that was a pretty dumb question :barf:

Brush Sinking
That's what I've been doing also :thuup:

About the brush order: sometimes the lights will bug out in the editor, and light through walls and platforms even after I build. I thought it was the order, but it was probably one of those UEDGoblin as other people said :loool:

Thanks for all the answers, I'll keep you updated :tu:
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...