DM-ZannasLostArena

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zanna
Average

DM-ZannasLostArena

Post by Zanna »

First map, nothing to say.
Making the bot take the invisibility and not ignore it was not as easy as I thought.
I've never seen a more bugged software than this editor. Just, the vertex snap, the texture alignment that screws up by itself, etc.
As a first map I don't think it's bad. I was literally learning while making it
Enjoy. The screenshot attached is taken from the game one and its a bit brighter than the actual map.

PS: Of course, this is "bug free" but I really don't know if some obscure bug or brushes craziness happen. This should need no external package
pps: can someone change my username to Zanna pretty please :thuup: i asked one of the admins in pm but i'm not sure if he's active anymore or anything

Had to rename it because it turns out there's already a map called lostarena :confused2:

BUG FOUND: It's not a bug, it's just that I don't know how to fix this surface thing. The gates/windows have some kind of weird property. there was a bot standing and shooting at me with the minigun, and the minigun's flash was appearing behind the gate. Don't know what to do, I used decoration mask for the brushes it's just a sheet
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
New download:
DM-ZannasLostArena.rar
(261.12 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
ReadMe.txt →

Code: Select all

================================================================
GENERAL INFORMATION

Author			: Zanna
Title			: DM-ZannasLostArena
Map Name		: The lost arena
Release Date		: 02/02/2017
Filename		: DM-ZannasLostArena.zip
Construction Time	: About five days, first map ever released

GAME INFORMATION

An old arena. The civilization who built it seemed to be worshipping cubes and squares figures.
Classic cube first map, although I tried my best to make it fun to play. I used the BotBonus actor to guide the bots to the invisibility and the top area where the armor is. It wasn't probably needed, but it worked so it's staying I guess. There are 

Gametype		: Deathmatch
Bot Support		: Yes
Ideal Players		: 2
Max Players		: 8
Music			: Run
Known Bugs		: Zero bugs found, at the moment...

New Stuff		: None
Packages Included	: None

SPECIAL THANKS

to			: Switch's Jumppads for the kickers
to			: Steve 'Slick' Nabors for the particle system.
to			: UArchitect, Ion and the other people who worked on the BotBonus pickup
to			: all the guys at UT99.org

You may distribute this level provided you include this file and leave the archive intact. 

UNREAL TOURNAMENT (c) 2000 Epic Megagames, Inc. 
All Rights Reserved. Distributed by GT Interactive Software, Inc. under license. 
UNREAL TOURNAMENT and the UNREAL TOURNAMENT logo are registered trademarks 
of Epic Megagames, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their 
respective owners. 
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: DM-ZannasLostArena

Post by papercoffee »

I'll try you map.
der Kas wrote: pps: can someone change my username to Zanna pretty please :thuup: i asked one of the admins in pm but i'm not sure if he's active anymore or anything
Try to contact Shade on Discord. Or one of the other staff member.
btw. are you German? Because "Der Kas" is a German term for "the prison supervisor" ...I'm just curious. :mrgreen:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

der Kas wrote:Release Date : 02/02/2017
In this case there is no doubt, but what about 02/03/2017? Is it 02 March or 03 Feb? That's the reason why I use either the date format DD MMM YYYY ("02 Feb 2017" for this example) or YYYY-MM-DD according ISO 8601 ("2017-02-02" for this example).
papercoffee wrote:Because "Der Kas" is a German term for "the prison supervisor"
Although I'm a native German speaker I've never heard of that term :omfg:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
smeerkat
Skilled
Personal rank: DHR

Post by smeerkat »

It's a lot better than my first map, that's for sure. 8)

One minor feedback: you have this cool particle effect over the Kickers, but it's quite similar to the effect on the body armor. So when I went there, I was expecting to get kicked. I would change that to something much more distinctive, so the player knows that the floating sprites are for Kickers and the _____ is for armor.

I would prefer IgnoreWhenEncroach instead of ReturnWhenEncroach on the Movers, because sometimes when you're in the heat of battle you might find yourself under the lift and it's not a good player experience. But that's the mapper's choice.

Now for your second map: think of a figure-eight layout, where players can run around more and always find themselves coming back to the center. An example of this would be DM-Malevolence. Place the pickups strategically so that bots will circulate all over your map. They really love the Shield Belt, Damage Amp, Invisibility, Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher, Shock Rifle, and the +5 Health Vials.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

And I thought "der Kas" was some dialect for "the cheese"...
smeerkat wrote:It's a lot better than my first map, that's for sure. 8)
Yeah, it is definitely a good start! It is also more detailed than my first map, even though I used more differentky shaped brushes. :lol:

Concerning your flames: usually you set them to translucent, not masked. That way there are no black borders around them.
Also, I would start to make the lighting more interesting in general: You have a pink-red sky and gloomy yellow flames, yet I see almost white light. Darker Saturation settings always create a more atmospherical lighting.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

editor Dave wrote:Concerning your flames: usually you set them to translucent, not masked. That way there are no black borders around them.
Also, I would start to make the lighting more interesting in general: You have a pink-red sky and gloomy yellow flames, yet I see almost white light. Darker Saturation settings always create a more atmospherical lighting.
thanks, I didn't know about the flames. I just put them as "masked decorations" with the special brush. For the lightning: I really had no clear idea what I was doing to be honest :rock: i tried setting the saturation lower but then the map would be too dark, i guess it's all about a good balance and moving things around
smeerkat wrote: - cut -
particle effect: yes, in fact I added that only later. I was trying to make the jump pads a bit like the standard ones (tilted at 45° or less), but for some reasons i abandoned that; then I tried to put a blue light to "signal" those are special spots, but the light would just look terrible, so I said yeah fuck it I'm using particles again :lol2: I put them over the armor because that spot is the most important, since you can get both the armor and the invisib and the sniper rifle;
I'm too used to the elevator returning; I watched your tutorial and I see you put ignore, but that just makes the mover goes through the player; IDK I feel like it's kinda innatural to me (but I've seen maps do that). for the second map, hopefully it will be a bit better and maybe for 3-4 players. thanks and keep them tutorial coming :thuup:
Barbie wrote:In this case there is no doubt, but what about 02/03/2017? Is it 02 March or 03 Feb? That's the reason why I use either the date format DD MMM YYYY ("02 Feb 2017" for this example) or YYYY-MM-DD according ISO 8601 ("2017-02-02" for this example).
very good point; i blame americans for this :mad2:
papercoffee wrote:btw. are you German? Because "Der Kas" is a German term for "the prison supervisor" ...I'm just curious. :mrgreen:
i'm not german, but i've been using "kas" or "de kas" or similar for a lot of time; altough prison supervisor sounds cool (I hope it's not "the cheese" as dave said; but even then Zanna the Cheese sounds funny so its ok :ironic: )
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Here the proof :mrgreen: http://www.dict.cc/?s=Kas It's not pure German it's German thieves' slang.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Well, was thinkin' 'bout the cheese too. I'm not a native german speaker tho.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A4se