Trims on curved walls/surfaces

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zanna
Average

Trims on curved walls/surfaces

Post by Zanna »

The last few hours I've been scourging myself with a whip trying to make some decorations fit on a brush I made using the 2D shape ed. The trims, or whatever they're called.

This is the shape I have.
1.png
Let's say I want to add a little border on it. I already did this on other parts, like in the next picture.
2.png
The problem is, no matter what I do, it always ends up as a huge mess.
So, for simplicity, I tried some cylinders and even then there's another problem: the texturing! Why I can't rotate less or more than 45°? :mad2:
I bet you can with the cmd line or something, but even then, how tedious is that?

Am I missing an easier solution? I tried de-intersecting and then intersecting moving the brush a couple of times; reusing the 2D shape; etc.
The only solution I have is NOT to use them, instead adding some kind of low-walls or something similar.
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Trims on curved walls/surfaces

Post by papercoffee »

der Kas wrote:there's another problem: the texturing! Why I can't rotate less or more than 45°? :mad2:
Try this :arrow: :TextureRotate: :TexturePan:

For the trims... create a screenshot from top view of that area you want to make them. Convert this screenshot into a 1024² texture and load it in the 2D shape editor. now you can make the trims fitting your curve.
Or you can use the vertex edit tool :ModeVertex: :ironic:
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

To make an exact border perfectly matching the curve, you need to use the same method you used to make the subtracted brush itself.
Was it made with the 2DShape editor?
You must construct additional pylons.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

It seems you used brush clipping to create the substracted brush. For me, the borders of the round shape look pretty off-grid (maybe some of them are on a 2-grid or something) which could result in more problems at a later stage. So, I would advise you to recreate the brush in the 2-D shape editor where you can easily determine the vertices being on the grid as well as creating the trim without much further hassle. Texture alignment will still be annoying as you have to use the rotation tool papercoffee already showed, but hey, it's easy to use. :tongue:

I'm wondering about your cylinder issue, though. When i create "hollow" cylinder brushes for trimming purposes, I mostly just have to rotate the textures by 90°.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Yes, I used the 2D shape editor with a bezier curve with 6 levesl for detail I think, that's why the vertexes are not on the grids, but the main ones (the starting point and the ending point) are on the grid.

Eventually I ended up deleting that shape out of frustration :|

Thanks for the other tips :thuup:
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

der Kas wrote:Yes, I used the 2D shape editor with a bezier curve with 6 levesl for detail I think
Then you can easily make a trim in the 2d Shape editor too, doing the same thing. The only problem is that the texture on top of the trim can't be curved around the shape, but you could just make the trim a basic calour and align it to floor.
You must construct additional pylons.
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

Or just completely remove the brush and use a half-way revolve in the 2d shape editor.
As for the rounded curved wall, as for the trimming .

Problem solved :thuup:
This member can only post when permitted.
LeviKOS
Average

Post by LeviKOS »

iirc You can use Tarquin's Cylinder brush builder to set the sides of the cylinder you want to use to subtract the area and then create another one with hollow set to true to create a donut shaped brushed, then again limit the sides used.