Post screen shots from your earliest map. ;-)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Rob_Master Builder
Adept
Personal rank: Level Designer :-)

Post screen shots from your earliest map. ;-)

Post by Rob_Master Builder »

I thought It would be an Interesting Idea to post screen shots from our first ever maps. :? :D

Unfortunatly thanks to a virus I dont have my first attempts at mapping but I do have my first ever 'complete' death match map.......
It's terrible, on every level ; lighting, brush work, bot pathing, texturing, sound etc but I've such fond memorys working and playing on It and It was a stepping stone on my way to becoming a proper mapper.

Here go's :

Hyper realistic futuristic enviroments.

Exciting Interiors.

I think two's enougth. :loool:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Post screen shots from your earliest map. ;-)

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, not my first map ever, this was the 3rd (the other two I lost the screens) - CTF-BattleForIceNFire:

Red Base (Fire):
ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Base (Ice):
ImageImageImageImageImage

Level / Misc:
ImageImage

Developed for RX, kinda outdated screens from the map, but well... nothing good as well LOL

But I am working to develop good maps, to achieve a good Single Player pack, but I still need to practise a lot :?
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced
Personal rank: RocketX5/6 creator

Post by ][X][~FLuKE~][X][ »

i cant, made well over 500 maps and made my first in january 2000, arena instagib map.

unfortunately most of my maps dissapeared when the servers they were on went down.. :(
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

][X][~FLuKE~][X][ wrote:i cant, made well over 500 maps and made my first in january 2000, arena instagib map.

unfortunately most of my maps dissapeared when the servers they were on went down.. :(
500 maps? I dont hope 500 cubemaps with a redeemer in the middle. :ironic2:
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
Creavion wrote:
][X][~FLuKE~][X][ wrote:i cant, made well over 500 maps and made my first in january 2000, arena instagib map.

Crev you're quite the pessimist aren't you? :loool:
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

-K¡ngS- wrote:
Creavion wrote:

No, I see it as something like an implication.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Rob_Master Builder
Adept

-K¡ngS- wrote:
Creavion wrote:

I think your find he's a realist. How anyone can create five hundred maps I cant see It myself, time you figure In planning your map, building It, testing etc It's easily around a month for most mappers unless It's a very basic one. So by that reckoning you could possibly have built around 105 maps rougthly, one a month, since january 2000 but 500! Come on. :shock:
I've been mapping since UT came out, which Is 1997 and have around 7 finished maps, not Including tests on uncompleted work.

Feralidragon thats amasing for an early map, are you sure there's no bad one's your hiding!?!? :P
The one I posted was never released, It was to bad to punish people like that.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Rob_Master Builder wrote: Feralidragon thats amasing for an early map, are you sure there's no bad one's your hiding!?!? :P
LOL, thanks, but I started in the full UT edit this year, meaning I started mapping, modelling and scripting at January of this year (ok, started only studying this stuff in November of 2007 and tweaking myself the stuff, but only started do real stuff this year).

I just edited 1 and made other 2:
CTF-LavaGiant2 - normal play
CTF-SimpleSnow - normal play or RX
CTF-Velocity - RX only

I really lost the maps their screens.

EDIT: Sorry, after all I didn't lost them, they are in my "sucks so much that I never showed it to anybody" site: http://www.extremeut.artelecom.pt/maps.html :? :? :?

EDIT2: Don't laugh... :?

EDIT3: About that mapping stuff, I think we should all get into msn and clear some stuff about mapping. Why me? Because I really like almost every gametype of UT, and I know exactly the difference between map styles and rules.
So Creavion, Rob_Master_Builder and Kings, anytime you want to talk, contact cuz I want to clear some of your mapping misunderstandings, as you all are right and wrong at the same time, all of you. :|
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Sry, I dont have and never hsf MSN and I am not really interested to install this program. :o
About to be non-active
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced

Rob_Master Builder wrote:
-K¡ngS- wrote:
Creavion wrote:

I think your find he's a realist. How anyone can create five hundred maps I cant see It myself, time you figure In planning your map, building It, testing etc It's easily around a month for most mappers unless It's a very basic one. So by that reckoning you could possibly have built around 105 maps rougthly, one a month, since january 2000 but 500! Come on. :shock:
I've been mapping since UT came out, which Is 1997 and have around 7 finished maps, not Including tests on uncompleted work.
think you will find UT99 was released November 31st 1999, where the hell did you get 1997 for a game called UT99?..lol

and a month to build a map, seriously?

you are trying to sound like you know what you are talking about but have no idea, thats funny to me.

you dont think its possible to make 500 maps in 7 years?

i can build any style map in under a week, any arena style map in under an hour

the only thing that has taken me a long time is Coding the NemesisX jet.

heres some shots of the last maps i made, all of which were made in under 3 hours

CTF-$peed....RocketX map - completed in 3 hours.

CTF-Kronic - RocketX map - completed in 1 hour.

CTF-Playboy - RX arena map, completed in 45 minutes

i can easily go in game and take more screenshots and ask any {WINGS} {HoF} or SA members if my maps are basic and if you doubt the speed i can make them i can build any map you design in less than 3 hours unless you get technical with the geometry, then a few days maximum. I dont plan out maps, i build from instinct, never have a design in mind, im not getting paid for it so why would i put so much work into it?

so there you go Mr Expert mapper who cant even get the year UT99 was made right.
Rob_Master Builder
Adept

Ha, no excuse for getting the year wrong fair enougth.
First off I'm not trying to sound like I know It all, I think your find most mappers take longer than you do and everyone has a different approach to level design, I've learnt that not doing some kind of planning leads to my maps ending up a sprawling confused mess.

The maps you've posted are very Impressive considering the time you've made them In, I would have to spend time, once the playabillitys sorted, on the lighting, texturing, brush work, making meshes, adding new FX, poss music. playtesting with friends etc which all adds to the time spent.

So I guess were just very different when It comes to making maps, an just Incase you think my Master Builder user name was chosen because I think I'm an 'Expert mapper' It wasent, It's a reference to the game Thief which along with Unreal got me started In level design.

DM-Realms ; 1 month.
][X][~FLuKE~][X][
Experienced

Rob_Master Builder wrote:Ha, no excuse for getting the year wrong fair enougth.
First off I'm not trying to sound like I know It all, I think your find most mappers take longer than you do and everyone has a different approach to level design, I've learnt that not doing some kind of planning leads to my maps ending up a sprawling confused mess.

The maps you've posted are very Impressive considering the time you've made them In, I would have to spend time, once the playabillitys sorted, on the lighting, texturing, brush work, making meshes, adding new FX, poss music. playtesting with friends etc which all adds to the time spent.

So I guess were just very different when It comes to making maps, an just Incase you think my Master Builder user name was chosen because I think I'm an 'Expert mapper' It wasent, It's a reference to the game Thief which along with Unreal got me started In level design.

DM-Realms ; 1 month.

you shouldnt have been so fast to judge me and i wouldnt have attacked you back, Ued is natural to me which is why i can work so fast, somehow i have in depth knowledge of Ued, too much time in front of it i guess.

im sure you are right that some people cannot build maps that fast, but you shouldnt be so fast to judge everyone.

just dont be so quick to judge other people on your own standards or mapping speeds/skills.... :tu:

anyway, your maps look pretty good....GJ :tu:

i might actually build a map and record the screen to show people just how fast a map could be built.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Rob_Master Builder wrote: Image
DM-Realms ; 1 month.
You are invited hearty to open like the others on the intern community bonus pack forum a thread to present your map there.
About to be non-active
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Here is the first map I made:
It was called SP-Vulkantempel (Vulcanoe temple). I released it on 1st of May 2007 and I needed approximately 2 months.
My work was :omfg: ^^
Attachments
SP2.jpg
SP1.jpg
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Rob_Master Builder
Adept

Feralidragon wrote:
Rob_Master Builder wrote: Feralidragon thats amasing for an early map, are you sure there's no bad one's your hiding!?!? :P
LOL, thanks, but I started in the full UT edit this year, meaning I started mapping, modelling and scripting at January of this year (ok, started only studying this stuff in November of 2007 and tweaking myself the stuff, but only started do real stuff this year).

I just edited 1 and made other 2:
CTF-LavaGiant2 - normal play
CTF-SimpleSnow - normal play or RX
CTF-Velocity - RX only

I really lost the maps their screens.

EDIT: Sorry, after all I didn't lost them, they are in my "sucks so much that I never showed it to anybody" site: http://www.extremeut.artelecom.pt/maps.html :? :? :?

EDIT2: Don't laugh... :?

EDIT3: About that mapping stuff, I think we should all get into msn and clear some stuff about mapping. Why me? Because I really like almost every gametype of UT, and I know exactly the difference between map styles and rules.
So Creavion, Rob_Master_Builder and Kings, anytime you want to talk, contact cuz I want to clear some of your mapping misunderstandings, as you all are right and wrong at the same time, all of you. :|

I'm having real problems with my Internet connection at the moment, tried d/l your update of CTF-LavaGiant, one of my favourite maps and It keeps freezing. Infact even accessing the forum Is really slow, 2 minutes for this to appear, It's like being back on 28k dial up. :?

Trying to d/l one of your maps again, fingers crossed, as for the MSN I'll download It but will be around the GF's at the weekend so wont get any mapping or very little forum surfing done, to many jobs to do!