Bots sight, semisolids and meshes

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zanna
Average

Bots sight, semisolids and meshes

Post by Zanna »

All kinda related, pardon my newbiness

a) I make a huge mesh: can bots see through it? And how do they determine if they can shoot through it or not? If so, do they shoot through it?
b) Do bots actually see through semisolid brushes? I read they do; that's just like cheating, since even in some maps stairs and big pillars are made from semisolids and they can totally cover you. But I don't understand, maybe I'm missing something?
c) Any settings about meshes/objects that can help on this stuff? Like, I know the Collision tab is really important (although I don't know what half of these things do) and some of the advanced ones. Are there any other important parameterS?
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
Barbie
Godlike

Re: Bots sight, semisolids and meshes

Post by Barbie »

I can just add a notice to the Meshes: players should not be able to come too close to big sized meshes, because they vanish if the mesh pivot is out of player's FOV, as discussed in thread DesiredFOV makes Weapon disappear.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay let's tell the truth to people. Amnesia with meshes is a brain-fart because A.I., Coronas, and some "Tracing" is passing through a mesh so all I have to say about meshes is a big NO, not to mention how do they look when center of mesh is not into FOV (field of view). You can quit thinking at meshes because they might ruin a good looking thing.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

If you want to see some interesting bot behavior load up a bot populated Carroteer Arena from Food Fight (or another always-on laser sight weapon). Ghost around and you can watch the laser dot instantly tell you where a bot is 'scanning' and when it sees a target and how it follows that target at any given skill level you set them at. It's give you some real life examples of the theory side of the questions you are asking.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

Yah I noticed the statue disappearing problem when you get too close and the mesh is big
@Jack: for my first map I was using BotMind to see what the bot was thinking and all that jazz

My thing was to put a big statue in the middle of a room/courtyard, and use that as a protection/wall as well, but was unsure if bots could check behind it and just shoot through it
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Zanna wrote: My thing was to put a big statue in the middle of a room/courtyard, and use that as a protection/wall as well, but was unsure if bots could check behind it and just shoot through it
If they can shoot through it depends on the collision-hull of the mesh.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Zanna wrote:My thing was to put a big [mesh] statue in the middle of a room/courtyard, and use that as a protection/wall as well
Use either the collision cylinder of the mesh as papercoffee recommended or add some invisible Brushes and/or Collision Hulls if Mesh's geometry is not cylinder-like. (I did such with a big sized mesh of a space ship, see pic (I added a Nali for size comparison)).
Attachments
SpaceShip.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Zanna wrote: @Jack: for my first map I was using BotMind to see what the bot was thinking and all that jazz
I wrote the first version of Botmind for monsters so I too am familiar with using it. What I'm telling you is that it just pales in comparison to watching bots run around with laser sighted weapons. In real time you can see how they scan, search, lock on to a target, how they error their aim at low settings...It's a real-time lesson on behavior that left me a bunch of times going "Huh, where's that in the code?"
So long, and thanks for all the fish