[Bots] Switch to open secret door

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Zanna
Average

[Bots] Switch to open secret door

Post by Zanna »

Is this even possible?

I read an old post on the forum talking about using TrapSpringer, but first: I don't even know how to get it? It's only in DM-Pressure... and second, I really don't know how it works (even after looking at the code) and I don't want to make a trap. I want to make a button on the other side of the room, but still visible, that once is shot opens a door in the same room to get a powerup.

I copied some stuff, read a lot, but everything I do... the bot just seems to want to bump into the button, instead of shooting. So I set the switch and the door very close, and the bot just wants to touch it instead of shooting. I tried with two movers, two movers and a trigger, a trigger and a mover, but always the same similar results. Sometimes they just go straight to the mover and don't understand it's "closed" and needs to be open, and they keep bumping into it instead of going towards the switch or shooting at it

Shooting directly at the door works and the bot understands that easily, but I was wondering if this is possible.

PS: Can someone tell me how to get the trapspringer? I cant find it in the actors and I'd like to play around with it;
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: [Bots] Switch to open secret door

Post by Red_Fist »

I think that one in pressure is coded for that map. That stupid trap springer is a pickup for bots, but I could never get it to work.

Try setting it to (mover) Damage triggered, and "useTriggered" in the mover settings.

I did it somehow in a Quake1 redo map I did. have to look, but it's a hard thing to do it seems. They shoot the dang thing as if the gun barrel is pressed against the mover, but will work.

That is why we need a target actor.

The only other thing is to plant a pawn so they shoot at the pawn, but will hit the mover.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Bot shoots mover when it needs to pass and mover stay on route - STALWART as example.
Secondary Note:
Bot is doing what map is saying, I even made depressed Bot to suicide because it was trapped doing nothing and it was very... sad. For shooting something first you need a valid path to make sure about that way as being a desired one. Next a custom thing making Bot to get mad at an actor around - yes Bot can fire weapon even to a NON Pawn actor if you fool it properly - to mention that they shoot loaded decorations by themselves, see DM-Modolif over forum.

Else if something do looks not OK for player - map will get a visit through Editor and player frustrated will figure what's the deal - so it's nothing SECRET like I mentioned already somewhere - "Map Secret" is a wrong term as long as Editor can open it showing everything instantly if you don't cover things properly for not being detected not even in Editor.

TrapSpringer can be used in other way than only DM-Pressure stupidity. Your map might be zoned (recommended by default).
Bot might roam into another zone where it can be triggered - imagine Pressure Buttons in other place. At "1on1" Player can trigger Bot to item and Bot located far away. Bot will want TrapSpringer and this one can be behind a door, Bot will shoot door for reaching at item if door stay in his way and it's a TT_Shoot one. Else a similar stuff is doable linked with some "visibility trigger" far away. If player is there, Bot will know that nothing can see it an even can play without suits. Whatever is rammed in UT it can be replaced with things added in MyLevel depending on map ambience, even if we don't have tutorials for such things.

Edit:
Other things as a "Secret" might be by example location of a ShieldBelt. We can have 10 Locations sorted randomly at game start. Nobody can really predict where this Shield will be moved from its initial box. And ideas are a lot... Map in Editor might look strange but in game might look like is remapped in run-time :lol2: .
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what
if I set the trigger to PlayerProximity bots will touch it and get the uDamage.
Maybe I need to setup something else for the trigger? idk
DM-SecretTest.unr
(19.16 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
RedFist: setting it to damagetriggered will make the mover move even if I shoot at it
Sektor: yeah of course nothing is secret, but what term would you use then for stuff like the redeemer in stalwart or the cliffyb and invisbility in codex etc.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@Red_Fist and the rest who mess up with GRAB.
SUCH MOVER can be OPENED by BOT and PLAYER using GRAB command = bUseTriggered - there is no need for shooting, Bot Knows how to GRAB doors.

UT by default has assigned GRAB at Key <G> if memory doesn't cheat me and many times at playing ON-Line all old player was grabbing doors to avoid nasty stunts. Get some MH maps and do test them well...

EDIT:
Bot is using the following code so drew conclusion:

Code: Select all

singular event BaseChange()
{
	local actor HitActor;
	local vector HitNormal, HitLocation;

if ( Mover(Base) != None )
	{
		// handle shootable secret floors
		if ( Mover(Base).bDamageTriggered && !Mover(Base).bOpening
			&& (MoveTarget != None) )
		{
			HitActor = Trace(HitLocation, HitNormal, MoveTarget.Location, Location, true);
			if ( HitActor == Base )
			{
				Target = Base;
				bShootSpecial = true;
				FireWeapon();
				bFire = 0;
				bAltFire = 0;
				Base.Trigger(Base, Self);
				bShootSpecial = false;
			}
		}
	}
	else
		Super.BaseChange();
}
Result ON Screen...
[attachment=1]DoorShooting.JPG[/attachment]
Of course my MBot looks more natural at shooting but no worries, default Bot does the same things. Here we might have DamageThreshold=1 for safety... and removing bUseTriggered stupidity. For sure they will not shoot Door's Trigger but only door itself.

Post note: Mover uses a BumpEvent which is an advantage. By firing some event around 2 nasty triggers Bot can be convinced to fire weapon properly and not in cheating style as it does by default - run a bit back to a point and another trigger there will set target and firing weapon looking more natural at this job.

Edit2:
Because I was a bit relaxed in doing stunts I wrote something here which will react from time to time. Spectate One Bot here for a while.
[attachment=0]DM-SecretTest_1.zip[/attachment]
It is advisable to make mover damagetriggered or else Bot might get trapped randomly into spot.
Attachments
DM-SecretTest_1.zip
(6.94 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
DoorShooting.JPG
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

So useTriggered is not, only for bots ?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Go and play some MH, see BirdBrainedResearch (always old grognards were pissing me of with GRAB - they were unlocking everything, including last mountain door for getting INSTA against that Warlord aka BirdBrained), see AfterDark[final], see AlienX, etc, etc.
You guys, really need a tutorial about UT content - even after 17 years...

EDIT:You can also GRAB a WoodenBox with a "Rifle" and leave it to fall from a high spot (by repeating GRAB) Box will fall down crushing and releasing weapon - useful trick when a coop map starts empty - player not loaded and needs a weapon located into a Decoration. There are more ways of interesting creativity which no one uses.
Last edited by sektor2111 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

sektor2111 wrote:You guys, really need a tutorial about UT content - even after 17 years...
ye. you wann make it? seems like you are just acting like an ass becoz you know more things than us, i mean if it makes you feel better go ahead lol who really gives a fuck. not only in this post in others too. so you know programming, good job on that! thx for reminding us in every thread :loool:
also idk if its legal to have source of this game when its not public just sayion
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I know what player feels when mapper thinks is cool - that's it about these "ideas".
Zanna wrote: also idk if its legal to have source of this game when its not public just sayion
GRAB is UScript free to see, already having fixes in some MH servers freely posted... and UScript side of UT can be exported for visibility even by everyone including by a monkey like me.
When people are playing game, they will know it, if not, they just fail by guessing... I know is disturbing telling the truth...
The trivia is that I'm not even programmer - I'm addicted to my jobs more than you might think about, I'm doing research by myself about why that is like that and why is not different.
Else if you guys are feeling disturbed by the way in how I'm telling the truth, then I'm not gonna send you that much information, that simple.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I thought UseTriggered was only for bots the only reason they put that in, so I thought. well that sucks.

Or does that happen only in MH ?

I had no idea GRAB could utilize a mover.

Wow, right here, Epic "•Grab Pick up a decoration or "use" a mover " sooooooooooooooo :wtf:
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

sektor2111 wrote:I know what player feels when mapper thinks is cool - that's it about these "ideas".
Zanna wrote: also idk if its legal to have source of this game when its not public just sayion
GRAB is UScript free to see, already having fixes in some MH servers freely posted... and UScript side of UT can be exported for visibility even by everyone including by a monkey like me.
When people are playing game, they will know it, if not, they just fail by guessing... I know is disturbing telling the truth...
The trivia is that I'm not even programmer - I'm addicted to my jobs more than you might think about, I'm doing research by myself about why that is like that and why is not different.
Else if you guys are feeling disturbed by the way in how I'm telling the truth, then I'm not gonna send you that much information, that simple.
i honestly dont understand half of the things you say lol
what truth is that you're telling? literally no point. i just said i had no idea how to make the bots shoot the trigger instead of shoot the door/bump into it; now with that actor it works perfectly so thank you (although i'll have to read the code to understand later)

of course i was talking about the source you know what im talking about, not the grab key or bots. what was the point of "you guys really need a tutorial about ut content even after 17 years..."? you just trying to look down on the others for no reason so whatever. tutorials help; documentation helps; playing around with stuff helps; but when nothing of these work you just go there and ask more expert people

ps i was a bit drunk when i wrote that so i sounded like an ass as well
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Please understand that Nels (sektor) doesn't mean it like it's coming across, there's some obvious cultural friction that's happening. Nels is one of the most stone-solid dependable guys I have that I can refer to. He's never once not answered me or tried to help when I've reached out to him.

Answering questions and trying to help can get incredibly frustrating. None of us get paid to work but people ask for these involved things all the time like there's nothing better we have to do. The hardest part is they make no effort at all to learn anything and expect developers to carry all the load. I just had an admin ask me to help with a map the other day and "can you fix this one part" became "can you just do the whole map over?" When I tried to offer to help him to do it himself he told me "I just don't have time to learn on my own." I didn't fix his map.

If you've played for a decade and you don't know of the grab cheat then that's on you. You aren't doing your background homework and learning how the game works (or doesn't). That's fine if you want to just remain a player but if you are offering content or running a server then you are not doing your "due diligence" by understanding the things you should know. In this Nels could not be more correct but the way he comes across can seem abrasive and it makes people defensive. He should try to do that less but I promise you that you'll learn really good stuff if you can look past it too.
So long, and thanks for all the fish