Bot Pathing with a button....

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Bot Pathing with a button....

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello all:

Any suggestions for the best way to set up this simple scenario: I have a trigger that opens a door slightly across the room. The bots just run to the door and get stuck waiting for it to open. How can I get them to trigger it before going to the door?

Thanks for any suggestions.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Bot Pathing with a button....

Post by sektor2111 »

May I take a look ?
Usually Bot is moving to the goal or NavigationPoint. If a door stays on route, Bot is doing a check around it. In normal situations will attempt to go straight at Trigger ignoring everything (DM-Zeto). Way back might be a problem, but depending on situation we can have some tools for Bot re-orientation to the right Button or another trigger on the other side of door. Keep in mind, they bump door first and then deal with a button or trigger in cause (mover code sends Bot to handling actor) and that's why these 2 things have to be placed in a direct navigable line without obstructions and without being too high or too low.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hi Sektor,

Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier. Had some things pop up this weekend. Anyway, I've simplified the map that has 2 separate switches that open 2 separate doors. One door opens a shield belt and I know that's a highly sought after item for a bot. The other trigger and door is "above". In both cases the bots just run to the door and get stuck there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attachments
maptest.unr
(58.01 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Here is not the best triggering setup. Triggers and Movers attempts to trigger themselves because Events and Tags are identical and they have to be linked as Trigger.Event -> Mover.Tag and not duplicating the same tags and events for both.
Else the main problem here is that Bot cannot go to Shield because... there is no path heading there, at least I don't see any path and neither a direct sight line to Shield. Bot is using trigger if can reach at door and finds it closed. Will move back to trigger in order to open door. In current case has no purpose to move at door.
Let me to setup some movement...

Edit:
Keep in mind, such setup will make Bot to get trapped into room if has no purpose to roam out around - DM-Zeto has similar setup but it gives to Bot a purpose to not camp after getting item and also in that map another trigger is being placed inside for safety. Your map being simple, Bot will take a break and... might get stuck in room.
DM-Maptest_1.unr
(61.18 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks Sektor. This is actually a part of a very large map. I only copy pasted the very small area that had the 2 doors and triggers. No matter how many or little pathnodes I place (and where I place them), the bots just run to the mover door and get stuck. Oh well, thanks for trying.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Loose Cannon wrote:Thanks Sektor. This is actually a part of a very large map. I only copy pasted the very small area that had the 2 doors and triggers. No matter how many or little pathnodes I place (and where I place them), the bots just run to the mover door and get stuck. Oh well, thanks for trying.
That's odd - out of interest, I tried Sektor's Maptest_1 several times with a single bot and they always go to the lower door first; then when it doesn't open, go to the button to open it, get the shieldbelt and then translocate up to the upper door. Again when the door doesn't open, they go to the button to open it. As Sektor says, they tend to camp in one or other of the rooms as there is nowhere else to go and no reason to come out.

Have you reproduced the triggers, lift exits, pathnodes etc in your map exactly as Sektor set them up in Maptest_1?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

LIKE I SAID, you have EVENTS and TAGS the same - WRONG. Bot is getting TAG from closer actor with that EVENT and it moves to the that actor - in your case it was trying to TRIGGER THE SAME MOVER that has to be triggered from elsewhere because it was holding the same string for both: EVENT and TAG. IT doesn't hurt a check for TAGS AND EVENTS from test map which I was posting because IT WORKS with a default issue: Bot camping in Room after getting items will be trapped like in a prison, this setup is not recommended. I repeat: Do a check at DM-ZETO map Door to PowerShield yeah that's a PowerShield not an UT_ShieldBelt but it is replaced by default DMMutator which comes with BotPack games.

Bot knows to open a triggered door if everything is properly set, it bumps door and then it runs to button/trigger for opening it - this is Bot logic and not other logic.

If I think well "Bot Pathing with a button" TITLE - this thing doesn't exist, a button is not a NavigationPoint and only a NavigationPoint is linked with Bot Pathing the rest are "adds" or sort of cute hacks.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

OK guys, thanks. I don't have much time to play around with it now. Busy with work, but I'll change it up this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone!

**Update:

OK...had a chance to change the events and tags and got it working and the bots are triggering the doors correctly and not getting stuck. Sektor, thanks for pointing out it was my poorly labeled events and tags!!! Always grateful for your expertise!!

Thanks again!!!
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Meh... Your welcome !... Hit me with some simple Level idea. I need more practice at semi-solids... Bots "flying" seems easy to do, geometry has some "hints" which I have to figure how to put them well.

Or... maybe a small DM party but... having Bot support Without NavigationPoints (of course PlayerStarts are needed)... hm... Worth a try ? Or maybe not because I will not be able to use Monster-Spawners there...