DM-Treatcherous-Beta01 (work in progress)

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-Treatcherous-Beta01 (work in progress)

Post by EvilGrins »

I couldn't play. Tried it with 9 bots first but the game wouldn't start, and instead of loading all 9 it only loaded 2.

Then I tried to play with the bots but instead of me + 9 bots, it only loaded me and 2 bots... and even then it wouldn't start no matter how many times I hit the fire key.

After my 3rd time trying to start a game, it did this:
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

The map geometry has been changed and map DM-Treatcherous.unr (CRC32: CBFE8EF5) was not rebuild after that. So some PlayerStarts are in the void in the existing BSP tree.
Attachments
DM-Treatcherous.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
biohazardx9
Novice

Post by biohazardx9 »

whoops!

Rookie error there, 'holds hands up'

I'll fix that tonight.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Good to notice that people are sharing untested and unfinished things, for not using them in servers...
biohazardx9
Novice

Post by biohazardx9 »

Fixed,

added to first post.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, I'll do some fix for myself in here.
Pathnode23 is useless and others are just... too many with no purpose, 54 pieces. Bot works fine with only 29 pieces.

For the rest is not bad work. Good job so far.
biohazardx9
Novice

Post by biohazardx9 »

alright, in Pathnodes, how far apart can you space them?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

MaxRange depends on Walls and geometry I recommend not more than 750 UU (it can be more depending on map type) *PS, but Minimum of distance between 2 NavigationPoint types (InventorySpot included) should not be less than 50UU - it makes no sense **PS. PathNodes are not like food for being placed in bunches, one/spot is enough for guiding pawn without to stuck it.
A NOT sample is here >>
[attachment=0]PN_NOTDO.JPG[/attachment]

___
*PS - Related to pathing chapter, Higor did something a la 2017 perfectly compatible with any old default UT Vanilla install, a sort of Editor feature able to link nodes placed at extremely long distance if map situation is requesting a "manual override" in guiding pawn, Editor is limited in linking paths, from now on we can demand certain links on purpose.

**PS - Logic of not placing 2in1 is simple. If pawn can figure a point there it will use it, the second point just increases the seeking process with no special goal.
Attachments
PN_NOTDO.JPG
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Re: DM-Treatment (work in progress)

Post by Chamberly »

Carbon wrote:
biohazardx9 wrote:it has no dead ends, apart from the two rooms but they're very small, and serve merely to house a weapon.
So 2 dead ends. :P

Joking. Thanks for your work mate! :tu:
papercoffee wrote:We have some people who collect anything UT related, regardless if it's unfinished stuff.
:oops:
You aren't the only one.

*Points at Medor*
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
biohazardx9
Novice

Post by biohazardx9 »

ahh I get it.

makes sense to me now. Much appreciated.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

speaking of, I just found my WRONG version MH, anyway to get a hold of him. Or should I logon to UTFILES ?

Ooops, I mean my map MH-Electrolyte, I appreciate them doing it, but that map is messed up, and I worked on it for like 5 years, after I regenerated from the start to redo that thing from a hard drive crash.

So I need to get a hold of Medor, or someone, STAT !. :x :oops:

Or if someone here can do it for me (whom may already know Medor) and just point them to the link here, would be much appreciated. Thanks.
even when I finally get the dang thing done, I am STILL working on it, :lol:
Last edited by Red_Fist on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I will have a better understanding If you explain way different what is about - game-type, mod, map...
If you need original MH for mapping-only it as advisable to get it from Shrimp directly, rushing for hosting files is not a good thing for future new comers, they will not understand wtf is going on... and they will quit playing the game...
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

biohazardx9 wrote:alright, in Pathnodes, how far apart can you space them?
As Sector wrote, it depends. It should also be in mind that not only PathNodes build the network, but also every Actor that is a NavigationPoint. As well Inventory items are connected to an InventorySpot (a sub class of NavigationPoint) when the map is build and therefore are part of the network.

My thumb rules if I add bot support are:
  • activate "Show Paths" in UnrealEd
  • start pathing at PlayerStarts
  • if an Inventory item is present, no PathNode is needed
  • NavigationPoints (by PathNode or InventorySpots) must be in direct line of sight
  • To build a route, put someting that creates a NavigationPoint at most far distance and let UnrealEd recalculate the paths. If no path is shown up then in UnrealEd, half the distance and repeat.
  • to have bots jumping down, use a LiftExit/LiftCenter/LiftExit combo, just without a lift
  • this LE/LC/LE-combo can also be used to connect to points over a very far distance without the need of multiple PathNodes
  • if bots don't use a path there might be a too small passage (width 128, height 192 should be ok)
  • if bots don't go to their destination (Flag, MonsterEnd), I move the destination closer to PlayerStart to see what part of network does not work
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

For figuring a good Paths-Network, ANY human on this planet can use two testing commands "RememberSpot" and "ShowPath" for figuring when Path-Net do works or if it doesn't work in a "special" location. My primary test for Bot Support is exactly a session... WITHOUT any sort of Bot. I just need to be alone during tests. Secondary test is with Bot for figuring if the freak has a problem in a spot, this is needed because certain Navigationpoints doesn't work for Human player tester, they are addressing BOT (very restrictive here).

What sort of bugs I'm hunting nearby a solid network ? Spots like Blue Base ramp from CTF-Command, like PlayerStart/PathNode in MH-AS-Guardia and a crap-ton of others like these, where Bot is skating there between 2 or 3 points for 2 years if map is still running - yeah, I used to let 4 Bots in a DM for 8 hours (I sleep during this time) and I came later to see if they are OK.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:ANY human on this planet can use two testing commands "RememberSpot" and "ShowPath" for figuring when Path-Net do works
Where do I have to enter this? I noticed no changes neither at console input while playing nor entering it in UnrealEd's "Command" bar.
<EDIT>
After testing these commands in play mode I've found messages of following kind in UnrealTournament.log:
ScriptLog: found path
ScriptLog: didn't find path
Until now I cannot see anything useful in it: If I want a certain point to be reachable for a Bot I put a NavigationPoint there and look if a path occurs after building paths.
</EDIT>
<EDIT2>
Found helpful post Bot Bug in firing.
</EDIT2>