What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Post by Red_Fist »

Is there a thing to select the brush that you have selected a texture on that brush ?
Binary Space Partitioning
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

I would love to have the following features: (wishful thinking = on)
1. In the Light Actor inherited from Object there is a "Group" attribute. It would be super handy if it would be possible to get an "Select Actor by matching Group" command. This way all light emitting the same light could be selected and changed together. At the moment changing lights is a manual process one light after the other.....
EDIT:
I just found out that is is already possible. Just set thew Group Attribute, go into the Group Browser and use the "Select Actors in Group" command. You may have to refresh the group list. (View->Refresh)
Dohhh... :ironic:

2. "Align Texture to Wall" command - Just like the "Align to Floor". This would probably save me 50% of the time I'm spending in front of the editor recently.
3. Fix the bug where the viewer position is changed each time the focus changes. E.g. when adjusting something in the Surface Properties or when checking something elsewhere on return to the editor the view position is changed without reason. This is very annoying.
4. Adjust the brightness of the editor so that it better matches the later in game appearance of the map. Oh, that would be cute :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

McFrag wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:19 am 2. "Align Texture to Wall" command - Just like the "Align to Floor". This would probably save me 50% of the time I'm spending in front of the editor recently.
In the Editor for Unreal 227 you can already align the textures to x or y axes (same as align to floor) but I would want to see a cylindrical or even better spherical alignment.

cylindrical would be awesome enough.
McFrag
Average

Post by McFrag »

Where can I get the Editor for Unreal 227?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

By installing Unreal?
And then You have to get the patch from oldunreal.com
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yeah.... we want features which Editor already has...
AlignToWhat.PNG
I want even a feature to add PathNodes in map and so on :ironic: .
Maybe a tutorial implemented in Editor and some glasses for closer range... As a side effect you can set viewport to "Textured" they say Alt+6, there lightning it's ignored and all can be seen better... if I well recall I have even a brightness button on my Tv-Monitor...
Edit: Making available other Editing properties of actors added in Level - No, I'm Not talking about adding bytes in Map file, I'm talking about adding these EXTRA things in separate files having some CFG extension in a CFG folder, read by newer "Editing-Only" assets and which are capable to use them during Editing process... and then several things from U227 can take place here without to add anything damaging for plain vanilla UT. By example, some of those bytes added in Navigation and NOT Finished in UT can be removed not saved in map exactly as old Unreal was doing. Map will be smaller and game out of junks.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 am Yeah.... we want features which Editor already has...
That's something totally different my friend.
Try to use "Align Wall Direction" on an organic or natural surface.

These rock walls were created by using the "Align to X axis" and "Align to Y axis" from UEd 2.1 in Unreal.

In UEd 2.0 I had to rotate the brush, so the side is pointing toward the floor and use "Align To Floor". After rotating them back some face where distorted anyway. Therefore that align to X and Y axis is a feature many mapper would need, to get good looking outdoor maps.

Or even better if the texture alignment mapping could be cylindrical.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

52) Dark light feature;
53) The ability to create a map thatu ses an additive system instead of subtractive (and why not to convert one too);
54) Being able to see the fog without having to rebuild the light (unless the fog needs some raycasting);
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
szuwiusz
Novice

Post by szuwiusz »

Easier terrain editor, where you can just click and raise, lower, drag terrain.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

szuwiusz wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 am Easier terrain editor, where you can just click and raise, lower, drag terrain.
Sculpting tools would require many vertexes and proper tesselation. But in theory, they would be able to work with any sort of mesh, not just boring flat cubes. But they would also require proper integration with the 3D viewport's 2D part (to know where the mouse is, and where to lay the sculpting brush), though.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

This is Month July.
MapGarbage builder/helper... the ugly thing has an update with a few new features:
- replacing an item and connecting it into navigation as original one - not needed altering paths-net;
- putting down excessive lights;
- Aligning at fixed coordinates a selected actor (or more actors), separate from feature which was aligning everything... I used this for placing a node exactly in the middle of a tunnel ect, without to paint location data and getting rid of floating bits.
The package file is hosted here.
BMP Icon used as button is updated accordingly. It keeps UGold227 compatibility because... some functions are needed there during applying manual pathing tweaks...

Some of these are features I wanted to see in Editor and... now I'm having them.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

The fact is, we can have simple script generators for various things going in MyLevel...
ScriptGenerator.PNG
Custom AlternatePaths, Togglers, ect might be added by > click > select > copy > paste > compile > add.
As an alternate target can be creating sub-classes of common actors which are static where mappers are doing Wrong things to stock actors instead of creating custom actors that can be adjusted at will.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I not only fixed a small bug in PathsLinker, a builder helping at tweaking UT maps, but MapGarbage builder has a few adds, even scripting helpers logging codes that can be copy-pasted and compiled. I could not figure yet how to open Scripting Window directly, but I don't think this is a must-have.
All these are here.

PathsLinker will agree user option with regard to distance parameter at combos and special paths or else will use default values.

MapGarbage adds:
- Adding a helper actor nearby a selected one (A Kicker at a Teleporter, PathsToggler keypoint over a PatNode, a custom TouchProtector at MonsterWaypoint, A SpecialEvent over a Trigger, etc.) using defined class name for new actor added at a configurable Z value over the selection.
- Adding a custom or a default InventorySpot for a selected Inventory causing relations MyMarker-MarkedItem - for manual paths working - this is for those which know what they do, ready for Re-Linking navigation chain, adding reachSpecs...
- Generating logged Scripts for HuntNode PathSwitcher Bot_jumper for MyLevels;
- MyLevel loader - using a package.extension definition Builder will use importing command excepting user from writing stories in console;
- Opening Advanced Actor Editing Window for a selected actor - a Node can be studied, a FlagBase can have a modified PrePivot for preventing to mess up its height, etc;
- Checking if map contains nodes without Incoming paths - not all of them are bugs, but some of these are not helping at all. Such a FlagBase does a problematic CTF map;
- Tagging movers, plain default Movers having nothing won't require creativity in configuring Tags. Trash Lord will generate Tags for any Mover which has default data not custom ones.
Small changes at codes for hunting reachSpecs.