What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Post by Chamberly »

Directed at UT99 files with UnrealED2.

What feature or fixes we would like to see?

I have a few things in mind to get started. I'm sure other have different idea.
-Preset brushes.

Higor mentioned converting stuff to meshes.

Maybe something in 2k3 we could use? Would be interesting like to have XC_UnrealED...
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: What feature do we want to see in UnrealED2?

Post by papercoffee »

Well ...what really would help many mapper (especially people who make terrain maps) Vertices selection in the 3D view.
You can already select with the red rectangle vertices in the 2D views but there you select all vertices in the line of sight. But it's very complicated to select a single vertex. You can only mark them in the 3D but not select. even in Ued2.1 isn't this possible.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

- Removing useless ReachSpecs added for each path build: Not InventorySpot100,...101 but InventorySpot0,...1 - probably another garbage purger with actors re-wrapping - NOT BRUSH re-wrapping;
- Attempting a fix at command "Actor Align" because it's crashing like an ass and it do sucks;
- Button for resizing NavNodes to "thinner" ones - if they are smaller, you can easily put them in small locations and paths are build properly - it's just stupid how messed are in default size - addressing DM mapping, UT is not for creatures anyway (see bNoMonsters default value) - else creatures are working this way as well;
- if map requires a texture from an UTX file, at loading map probably I want entire texture file loaded (button for demand) because might want to continue working at map and I have to browse again textures - Editor simply shows only textures used in map from a package;
- where is mesh exporter ? (question for Epic which won't get answers) - we have "fighter" rammed and no way for fixing it using Editor - Or I did not figure Editor solution yet ?

Etc ?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

When editing MonsterHunt maps, it'd be nice if i could not only select all of 1 type of monster on a map and then hit something to replace all of them with another kind of monster.

Doing it manually, one at a time, sucks rocks.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Great list and suggestion all, keep them coming!
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

The Shit+MW click ruler from UT2.
You must construct additional pylons.
Zanna
Average

Post by Zanna »

vertex editing crazy mouse :loool:
der Kas... the cheesy prison supervisor...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

sektor2111 wrote:- Removing useless ReachSpecs added for each path build: Not InventorySpot100,...101 but InventorySpot0,...1
[...]
- if map requires a texture from an UTX file, at loading map probably I want entire texture file loaded (button for demand) because might want to continue working at map and I have to browse again textures - Editor simply shows only textures used in map from a package;
^This!!!
Zanna wrote:vertex editing crazy mouse :loool:
You mean the inability to vertex edit without the mouse running away with the vertex? :ironic:
Yes, this would be useful as well.

@Chamberly
Why exactly do you ask? Does Higor have plans to fix the editor as well?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

After you build a map, have it so there is an indication that you rebuilt it.
Like an OK button, or not close the last build window.
I forget but in 227 there is an indication, not a built in thing for it, but a window don't close or something.

If you hit build, and walk away, come back, you can't remember if you hit build, or not.

One minor feature, that's really not a feature, but would help.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:indication that you rebuilt it
I'd like it also for modified/saved.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Something like the 2d shape editor, but a simple 3d shape editor, where you could draw vertexes and link them manually so you have total control over where you want your polygons.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Phew, agree here... if I want some useless line increasing polys numbers to be out probably selecting it and removing it would be useful... Or not ? Some brushes I think have an useless load which can be simplified.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:@Chamberly
Why exactly do you ask? Does Higor have plans to fix the editor as well?
I just brought up the question to him, if this has ever been asked and he doesn't think so... so I went ahead and brought it up anyway to see what kind of suggestion and feedback that can be brought up along with tagging what we also like to see in UnrealED with improvement.

I bring up a lot of questions too. Like why does UnrealED have the help contents disabled? They are grayed out.
Would it be easy to make my own pre-set brush contents? I've seen other made the terrain brush set.
I'm trying to explore in the editor to find what's missing, and bring up anything along the way to write down what would probably be good and bad.
Especially the crashes in Win 10 OS, gotta find out what is going on there. etc.

He might do something. So I should also look at UT2k3 and see what's there... and maybe I take a look at UT4's editor since they already added BSP stuff now. But dear god, the download size is HUGH! >.<
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

The thing that often bothers me, is the bugs and crashes the editor has. For once, I'd like to not think to make a copy of a map every five mintures, just in case it might crash again. ...... :pfff:
This member can only post when permitted.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Chamberly wrote:I bring up a lot of questions too. Like why does UnrealED have the help contents disabled?
I think yes, and that one should be TUTORIAL - including USELESS stuff included in Editor.
Chamberly wrote:Especially the crashes in Win 10 OS, gotta find out what is going on there. etc.
Chamberly wrote:and maybe I take a look at UT4's editor since they already added BSP stuff
As mentioned before, Win10 is not an OS, is a legit Spyware with less compatibility with old apps (it should be more mature than immature - and trivia - you even need to pay for it) - as UT4 is NOT UT, it's a sort of experiment... as free as it is.

Okay let me see. Do Higor wants to put more add-ons ? That's good. I have added that XC_PathBuilder, Map purger, is place for more... :agree1: