I made a terrain model in Blender and brought it over to UED

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Skerion
Average

Re: I made a terrain model in Blender and brought it over to

Post by Skerion »

I went ahead and experimented some more with the trees in Blender.

There's a bit more geometry with the walls so they're not as flat as they were before. They're also probably better from a gameplay standpoint since the underside of the leaves is opaque, meaning that the player isn't going to able see someone else through the tree trucks. If he could, that can be problematic since the trees are supposed to act as boundaries. The downside to this technique is that the top of the trees is pretty flat, but it's probably not that much of a big deal since you're probably not going to able to see above the trees very often, and they shouldn't really be the focus anyway.

I also tried applying this new lathe shape to the inner edges of the forest, but since there's a lot more polys with their own transparent textures, I would imagine that this would take some kind of toll on the performance of whatever map it's being used on especially for users with lower-end computers.

papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote:
papercoffee wrote: Can't select it in the mutator list.
You mean you can't see it there or you can't drag it over to the mutators used? (It shows up in the mutator list as "Start-Telefrag Attempt prevention V3...".)
Image I searched under LessTele or Tele-somthing.
I totally overlooked it, because I wasn't aware it would begin with "Start".

Thank you.

@Skerion I would go for the flat version of the forest but with some variation in heights.
Skerion
Average

Post by Skerion »

papercoffee wrote:@Skerion I would go for the flat version of the forest but with some variation in heights.
If you're talking about terrain variation that the tree model goes along with, I was already planning on having some variation with terrain height. This was just a test model.

If you're referring to variations to the actual tree height from base to tip, then that sounds pretty reasonable.

Now that I think about it, it might help if I try to implement a fake ground that fades into black inside the texture. That might help with the transition from the actual ground to the tree walls. Some standing grass could help, too. RIght now, the trunks look pretty flat and orthographic-looking, too, so I'll need to do something about that.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Skerion wrote: Now that I think about it, it might help if I try to implement a fake ground that fades into black inside the texture. That might help with the transition from the actual ground to the tree walls. Some standing grass could help, too. RIght now, the trunks look pretty flat and orthographic-looking, too, so I'll need to do something about that.
Yes, you need to soften the straight lines and regular angles using a few tree models plus bushes and grass. Of course, the actual nature of the terrain in the map will determine what you can do and what will look right so that eventually, when you come to put the whole thing together, you may need to modify your test model.