DOM control points

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

DOM control points

Post by EvilGrins »

Is there anything special you need to do to place a control point on a Domination map?

I mean, so long as it's in an area with good pathing... do you need to do anything specific to get bots to tag it or is it just being somewhere attract them?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: DOM control points

Post by Hellkeeper »

They know what to do by themselves. Nothing special needed.
You must construct additional pylons.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Okay... where in UnrealEd do I find them?

If I take a typical CTF or DM map and convert it to DOM, do I need to do more than put Control Points where I want them or do I need to do anything else other than change the map's prefix to DOM?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Yes, in the menu find level properties, and find the gametype.

In the actor list goto "info" to find the gametypes. and it does need the prefix so they show up in-game.

I would need to look for the DOM points, but my guess is the navigation section in the actor list
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote:Okay... where in UnrealEd do I find them?
Actor>NavigationPoint>ControlPoint
EvilGrins wrote:If I take a typical CTF or DM map and convert it to DOM, do I need to do more than put Control Points where I want them or do I need to do anything else other than change the map's prefix to DOM?
In CTF maps you should remove the FlagBases.
For adding the ControlPoints to the navigation network you should rebuild the map.
Optionally - as Red_Fist wrote - you can set LevelInfo.DefaultGameType to "Class'Botpack.Domination'".
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Eviltom
Skilled

Post by Eviltom »

Its a long time since ive made a DOM map but if your converting a CTF map keep you might need to check out the defence points, in CTF they are assigned to either team 0 or 1 (red and blue)'but I can't remember how they work in DOM, I can't remember if they are assigned to a control point or if bots just use defence points close to the control point. I presume if there are no defence points on the map the bots will just hang around close to the control point if they are on defence like sitting ducks. :noidea
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Take a look at this excerpt from the ReadMe file for the MegaDomination/MegaTDM gametypes I did a while back:
Spoiler
8:13 AM 4/29/2013 MegaDOM + MegaTDM RC1 - by MrLoathsome

I decided I wanted to extend and improve the Domination gametype, without changing gameplay at all, and also
make scriptedpawns, (Monsters), play Domination without recoding any new versions of them.

Tried to write this so it works with the default engine and code, instead of any "brute force" methods
that would involve changing the core behaviour of the game or any aspect of it.

Features:

1. Full support for Domination games with up to 64 Control Points.
2. Support for playing Domination and TDM versus monsters.
3. Optimized the core Domination gametype code considerably.**
4. Fixes most of the issues that cause log file warnings/errors and other problems that occur when adding Unreal monsters to UT games.
5. Adjusted HUD to correctly support display of the 1st 5 ControlPoints on the left of the screen, and added count of control points currently held under team icon on the right.

-------------

New config variables:

bScoreSPKills=True // If True, players score point for killing monsters.
bNegScoring=False // If True, players lose a point for killing monsters. (bScoreSPKills must be False)
bMonsterTeam=True // If True game adds a dummy Bot/Player named "The Monsters" to the game. Will score a point whenever monster kills a bot or player.
bScoreSPvsSP=True // If True, and bMonsterTeam=True, "The Monsters" will score a point when a monster kills another monster.
MonsterTeamNum=3 // Team number to put "The Monsters" on. Valid range 1-3. Default of 255 will set the Monster's team number to MaxTeams+1.
ExtraControlPoints=3 // Number of extra Control Points to add. Valid range 0-64 for fixed value. 101-164 will result in random number of extra points between 1 and ExtraControlPoints-100.
// *For MegaTDM, you still want to have this set. Points will be hidden, but needed as they are what instruct the monsters to attack nearby bots.
// Recommended range 1-9 for both DOM and TDM games. Perhaps higher for very large maps.
// If you add more than 9 Control Points to your DOM games, be aware that the scoring is exponential. You will want to increase the GoalTeamScore and/or Time Limit accordingly.

These new options may be accessed 2 ways.

1. Via the UT menu. Options - Advanced Options - Game Types*
2. Edit the new gametype sections in your UT.ini file.

-------------

The new gametypes:

BP5DOM.Domination - Domination on Domination maps.
BP5DOM.TeamGamePlus - Team Death Match on Domination maps.
BP5DM.Domination - Domination on DM maps.
BP5DM.TeamGamePlus - Team Death Match on DM maps.
BP5CTF.Domination - Domination on CTF maps. // Note, this will put 1st 2 Control Points where the flags would usually be.
BP5CTF.TeamGamePlus - Team Death Match on CTF maps.

After you play a game with one of the new gametypes, a new section should be appended to
you UnrealTournament.ini file.

Look for sections: [BP5DM.TeamGamePlus], [BP5DOM.Domination] etc.

You can edit the settings there.
Use that, and you can play DOM on any DM or CTF map you want.
Playing against monsters is optional.
Full source included.

More info and download here: http://www.ecoop.tk/load/megadomination ... m/1-1-0-54
blarg