DM - Deck 18

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: DM - Deck 18

Post by Carbon »

XaNKoNII wrote: I have a slight feeling UT99 was a real amateur work :confused2: . I´ve only recently introduced myself into level design and starting with UT and my sources of information mention a lot of time the paths and how they should have minimal errors as possible, and so in my first DM map (still working on it) I have been so frustrated and sometimes even changing the layout and sizes and shapes so that i can have almost nothing in red, only to my surprise when i open "Official Maps" they look like a Christmas tree, and in 4 maps i have inspected all of them have misaligned textures and misaligned lights and actors (i mean, these people were paid to to this work they could have at least tried to be a little bit perfectionists)...
I have a feeling that if you could go back to 1998 ~ 9 when the game was being developed, you might see reasons for the way things turned out.

Its all well and good to review ideas and practices - this is how things improve - but one must always place things within contexts to judge fairly.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM - Deck 18

Post by sektor2111 »

XaNKoN understood some troubles - too bad - the game could be far superior to default release stage... lol...

When you, The Boss from a company are writing rules but those who work there are ignoring them doing some bullshit as they consider good, but without having clue about internal natives, this means that you have problems there, even a kid can figure such things...

The worst thing is that more community members were taking these evil things as examples "How To" - and this is the down-hill direction guaranteed.