DM - Deck 18

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

DM - Deck 18

Post by XaNKoNII »

This is my take on the map, it doesn't bring anything majorly new to the geometry .
Light was 98% remade, added some nice ambience sounds.
Also added 2 secret pick ups (invisibility and super health) one of which is super easy to fail and notice it's there
This came more as a perfecting exercise for environment more that actually wanting to make a different version of the map but feel free to share your opinions/tips or input :mrgreen:

Attachments
DM-Deck18.unr
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM - Deck 18

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, Good looking... The same issues, really makes no sense those Nodes at Shieldbelt through vials, have you seen paths there ?

Goood :wink: ! Now I have to add some feature in that UED Add-On which I did. I really forgot to implement basic pathing corrections.
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

Now that you mention it i didn't check the pathing. Might as well tweak that a little bit
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Okay, it looks like my tool has a testing ground and... it do seems to do a small fine tuning.
[attachment=1]Before_Operation.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]After_Operation.JPG[/attachment]
It do works based on default pathing docs written by Epic and never read by Epic :ironic2: .
Edit:
Steven Polge - Epic MegaGames, Inc. wrote: There are several common problems that result from assumptions and approximations made by the AI to minimize CPU overhead. Make sure that all NavigationPoints are separated by at least 50 world units. If two pathnodes are too close together, a bot may get stuck on them. The editor log window will display warnings during a PATHS DEFINE if paths are too close together. This problem commonly occurs with InventorySpots, which are automatically placed near all inventory items. Don't place PathNodes too near to inventory.
But, as usual, rules are defined to be ignored even by those which made them :loool: .
The most of modifications done later seems to not have major changes.

About current map - area behind Shrek's picture is a resting place - A.I. will not find any enemy who might be hiding there...
Attachments
After using tool
After using tool
Before using tool
Before using tool
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

That area is mere decoration not accessible :/
Only god knows what shrekk does to the poor souls that go beyond the swamp
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

sektor2111 wrote:Okay, it looks like my tool has a testing ground and... it do seems to do a small fine tuning.
[attachment=1]Before_Operation.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]After_Operation.JPG[/attachment]
It do works based on default pathing docs written by Epic and never read by Epic :ironic2: .
Edit:
Steven Polge - Epic MegaGames, Inc. wrote: There are several common problems that result from assumptions and approximations made by the AI to minimize CPU overhead. Make sure that all NavigationPoints are separated by at least 50 world units. If two pathnodes are too close together, a bot may get stuck on them. The editor log window will display warnings during a PATHS DEFINE if paths are too close together. This problem commonly occurs with InventorySpots, which are automatically placed near all inventory items. Don't place PathNodes too near to inventory.
But, as usual, rules are defined to be ignored even by those which made them :loool: .
The most of modifications done later seems to not have major changes.

About current map - area behind Shrek's picture is a resting place - A.I. will not find any enemy who might be hiding there...
I have a slight feeling UT99 was a real amateur work :confused2: . I´ve only recently introduced myself into level design and starting with UT and my sources of information mention a lot of time the paths and how they should have minimal errors as possible, and so in my first DM map (still working on it) I have been so frustrated and sometimes even changing the layout and sizes and shapes so that i can have almost nothing in red, only to my surprise when i open "Official Maps" they look like a Christmas tree, and in 4 maps i have inspected all of them have misaligned textures and misaligned lights and actors (i mean, these people were paid to to this work they could have at least tried to be a little bit perfectionists)...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

You don't have to double post.

I can't see the pictures in the first post.
XaNKoNII wrote: Image

Here that's better.
the [img] tag is only for links to the picture file not to the host. :wink:
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

papercoffee wrote:You don't have to double post.

I can't see the pictures in the first post.
XaNKoNII wrote: Image

Here that's better.
the [img] tag is only for links to the picture file not to the host. :wink:
Double post? :???:
so how exactly do i make images apear like you did? :what:
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

XaNKoNII wrote:Double post? :???:
See House Rules, #8.
XaNKoNII wrote:so how exactly do i make images apear like you did? :what:
The URL

Code: Select all

http://imgur.com/ReVuHN9
you used does not point to an image but to a HTML page. Visit that web page, right click on the image and choose "copy image address" or similar. That results in

Code: Select all

http://i.imgur.com/ReVuHN9.jpg
and this is a valid notation for forum's IMG tag.
View image
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

XaNKoNII wrote:
papercoffee wrote: Double post? :???:
so how exactly do i make images apear like you did? :what:
Double post:
viewtopic.php?p=97372#p97372
viewtopic.php?p=97373#p97373
It's in the forum rules ... If you create or post in a thread and want to add another information but no one has written a comment in the meantime use the Edit button and edit your last post. the time limit between double posts which is acceptable is 24 hours.

Go to your image host and open the picture then right click it. In the context menu select "copy image location" (that's for Firefox ...but it should be similar in any browser). This is the link to the actual image file. This link can be used in a [img] tag.

Edit---------------------
lol ...Barbie ninjaed me
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

I swear to god i am confused as hell, both links send me to the same conversation. If there was a double post it must have been a glitch (or really tired me somehow did it).
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

XaNKoNII wrote:I swear to god i am confused as hell, both links send me to the same conversation. If there was a double post it must have been a glitch (or really tired me somehow did it).
It is the same thread ...I was just showing you the two posts :P
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Getting over things out of topic, I went to setup properly all required paths, to Flak at vials, PulseGun from Middle and... Invisibility because I did not figure too much activity there... Due to my style of play using translocator I have added something for poor Bots which by default doesn't use it for shortcuts even if it's possible ( because Epic forgot their instructions here...). The result is a good looking sort of Deck map having some teleporting activity - I think I'm gonna remove my old deck and I'll add this one as replacement - a little adjusted with XC_PathBuilder and MapGarbage builder add-on for Editor. Yes I figured that Zone, it's in fact a closed location. By looking there in Editor I though that is accessible but it's OK as it is.

Thanks so far for this Map :thuup: . I hope to not forget in a future custom DM update to add Translocation game-play type...
different from what I was using until now.
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

Ok so i figured what you guys ment, a reply is a "post" hence why you linked the same thread and said i double posted my bad :oops:

Sektor your more than welcome my friend :tu: , but please do share what you did with the map me wants to learn :D
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'll show you what's new... but exist a problem. I was interested to check how do looks map, HOM effects, geometry things, and I used MapGarbage UED add-on for masking nodes, lights, everything which annoy view. Somehow I like it as it is - even in game ShowAll command shows mainly nothing than game attached actors - everything is properly hidden, but in case of future a work for some update, they can be turned back to normal using the same toy. I'm thinking what I need in that Editor plugin before to share an updated one. Else map fine tuned and translocator ready is this one:
[attachment=0]DM-Deck18_R17.7z[/attachment]
Attachments
DM-Deck18_R17.7z
Now this is my Deck used...
(388.21 KiB) Downloaded 54 times