Some MH Requests ? - Another Map Done

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
nogardilaref
Masterful
Posts: 579
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 pm
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Some MH Requests ?

Post by nogardilaref » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:04 pm

EvilGrins wrote:I kept getting slaughtered by books...
Reminds me of my old days at school...

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Some MH Requests ?

Post by sektor2111 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Details then:
When I was speaking about deco pawns I was talking about exactly pawns, colliding, killgoals (for additional fun) subclasses of Pawn/FlockPawn. I gotta admit, in XCMH I don't see them too much because... Skaarj are attacking them, but they can complete some zone here and there...

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Some MH Requests ?

Post by Red_Fist » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:51 am

nogardilaref wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:I kept getting slaughtered by books...
Reminds me of my old days at school...
It's trees and bushes, friggen whacky things LoL they attack when you get close since they don't move until you get close.
Then they skate around all drunk or something attacking you. gotta watch your feet and passing by a tree
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
EvilGrins
Godlike
Posts: 6523
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:12 pm
Personal rank: God of Fudge
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Contact:

Re: Some MH Requests ?

Post by EvilGrins » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 am

Red_Fist wrote:It's trees and bushes, friggen whacky things LoL they attack when you get close since they don't move until you get close.
There's a few of them, one of which is books... excepting in more advanced versions the various things don't wait until you're close. They come looking for you.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
Image
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Some MH Requests ?

Post by sektor2111 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 am

Like I said, Stupid pawns looking as a book or as a shiny lamp don't help me. By using XCMH ScriptedPawn is attacking any possible life form so they are useless if are not placed wisely. In this map there is not that much useless space - running 2 minutes for finding a monster - really doesn't need any shortcut and any lousy thing. Map theme is Skaarj weapon-holders type and Mr. Bombadir handling a cannon (I saw a request for GradualMover for mapping so I did one without to mock Bot - gradual Mover might have another cute domestic purpose) intended to kill player when is handled by a monster under alarm - that simple.... No crapped up lift, no wacky door, no other dumb thing against Bot, just against all hunters attacking in "House Of Bombadir".
I could do more stuff with monsters but I did not have more inspiration - I'm getting older...

Edit:
First Post updated map is done. Archive is 60.7 MB because it do includes UZ file as well as long as this operation seems to take time so I have excepted you from compressing it in case of a server option... UZ is not for me I'm using "lzma" which takes 21-24 seconds to compress file. The rest of deps are stock and MonsterHunt file which I'm not sharing - that one has to be installed...
Spoiler
Show
Init: CPU Speed=2992.553482 MHz
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=2
Init: CPU Detected: Unknown processor (GenuineIntel)
Init: CPU Features: CMov FPU RDTSC PAE MMX KNI
Log: Bound to IpDrv.dll
Log: Bound to Engine.dll
Log: Executing Class IpDrv.CompressCommandlet
Log: Compressing e:\Editor\UnrealTournament\Maps\MH-Sk_Godz.unr (70186745 bytes)
Log: stage 0: 6.032236 secs
Log: stage 1: 2116.989287 secs
Log: stage 2: 6.985733 secs
Log: stage 3: 10.865464 secs
Log: Total: 2140.872803 secs

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by OjitroC » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 pm

This map is certainly interesting and challenging - I haven't played it all by any means (only the first six or seven levels) but great fun so far. Here are a few comments
  • 1 As far as I could tell, the Bosses did not appear to be holding weapons
    2 Killing a Boss triggers the opening of the door to the next level in the lobby (?) - if one kills the Boss and then gets killed, it is possible to progress by not going back to the level on which one was killed (for example, I was on Level 3 and got killed and then found the door to the teleporter to level 4 open) - it doesn't seem that one needs to kill all the pawns on a level to progress - don't know how important this is but thought I would mention it
    3 As one progresses through the levels and gets killed, it is a bit tedious to have to go back to levels previously cleared to pick up the weapons there - if one doesn't do that, one only has the starting weapons in the spawning room as there doesn't seem to be anything other than the odd weapon on each level, except of course for those dropped by the weapon carriers - again the importance of this will depend on a player's preferred mix of weapons to carry but the further one progresses the more important it becomes to have as many different weapons as possible
    4 Somehow one of the pupae was teleported to the spawning room the first time I played the map
PS - it might be an idea to say that the map is finished in a new post (rather than editing a previous post) as many readers of the forum may not notice that the title of the thread has been changed.

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by Red_Fist » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:07 am

Kind of short and sweet to be a "godz" map it does have the godz layout with the doors opening but I like it.

My main complaints is put a few more shields and health at the beginning room or shorter spawn time. Because you die over and over fast. (playing with 4 bots)

Maybe 2 teleporters so you don't get or give telefragging when you spawn in another room, area is small.

And a tad larger area when you get to a room beginning, so the bots don't crowd you out and can't move so you have to shoot the bots or wait till they move so you can move.

And areas you die so quick, like the first room, and they all are not dead after the teleporter goal works, confusing that normally all the enemies die before a new thing happens.

The one rom with the rock shooter, the bots are trying to exit before the last blue pawn dies and he goes into that side hall, the slanted wall, so they never fight , they are trying to exit, and the pawn is hanging out in the hall. I think those rocks kill the other enemy pawns too.

Oh and like he said, need the weapons, not just ammo.

I wish it was longer, and can't figure out how the hell you squeezed 68 meg in this thing.

But it's sort of more on the fun side than working at a long 10,000 pawn map. :thuup:
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by sektor2111 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 am

OjitroC wrote:1 As far as I could tell, the Bosses did not appear to be holding weapons
What MH version are you playing ? If is that forcing bIsPlayer False with any matter then probably Map main actor will need a bit rewritten. If the rest of troopers have weapons is a bit confusing - because are the same class, probably Boss is too big and you cannot figure weapon well because is... small compared with it and during combat there are threatening factors to take in account rather than environment... :noidea

As in map broadcasting:
If a left-over creature follows you. kill it, that simple...
because Only Bosses are linked with Next door and not the rest of 14-20 monsters helpers which I decided to not take them in account that much.

Yes, map has small zones for being more challenging - not running 1 hour to reach at first teleporter. I'm using only 3-4 Bots else it goes nasty - I was speaking about this already.

My Major Issues in playing this map:
- In first room I might die quickly or... VERY HARD - use your brain and find why :lol2: I think that first room for training is... Way TOO EASY;
- I have in server a Teleporter tweaker which might be bugging a bit Bots from time to time making them to push each-other nearby teleporters and... even randomly exploding for collision crash attempts - yes, turds are punished - but telefragging is reduced at a minimum Level - they are going through one by one. Advantage me for fighting without being bugged a few minutes and having fun with killing monsters. After death I come back firing in the middle of Bots bunching entrance and "order" is restored - for default MH by playing simple telefragging happens...
OjitroC wrote:again the importance of this will depend on a player's preferred mix of weapons to carry but the further one progresses the more important it becomes to have as many different weapons as possible
MAP is addressing MonsterHunt game type by Shrimp (annoying controller and crapped at extremes but I RESPECT THAT MAN) and similar MH types not for a mix of weapons with unexpected consequences. Feel free to adjust map for being compatible with a ton of mods and more or less messed up stuff if it needs this, for me MH = stock game-play.
Red_Fist wrote:I wish it was longer, and can't figure out how the hell you squeezed 68 meg in this thing.
Map has around 40 MB, In last hour I decided to add some screenshot having multiple frames... ummm is 1024×1024 some imported BMP files tested using D3D (for default render) in order to not make a mess with player. The rest of stuff is visible (textures, meshes, animals/monsters, new troopers, diamonds, new factories with new spawnpoints, zonenodes, map actor trooper tracker, a mobile flag, new zone types, etc...) I did not want to share 1 GB of resource files used so I think this is a minimal load... So only Screenshot having 3 MB at import × 14 images = X MB embedded... by using 128×128 I think it would not be that... well visible...
Red_Fist wrote:The one rom with the rock shooter, the bots are trying to exit before the last blue pawn dies and he goes into that side hall, the slanted wall, so they never fight , they are trying to exit, and the pawn is hanging out in the hall. I think those rocks kill the other enemy pawns too.
That's a MH default occurrence, that's why Player is Factor X, not a single time even in some BoomBoomBridge known map a Bot was camping nearby last Warlord like they were friends totally ignoring each-other (I was really annoyed and a few minutes later I decided to start coding things myself) because... Bot calls combat in Roaming when is on a NavPoint and if that crap native "CanSee()" returns true (because it might go False as well) and I assure you the closer they are the blinded might become thanks to "fascinating" UEngine1... In XCMH this is almost not existent because SeePlayer trigger monster against Bot like for human player... custom ZoneNode stops Bot if has an enemy, if doesn't have enemy (because of MH failure type "factor") then... keep going. My fault: I should do an intelligent RangeNode combined with a BotRunner for making Bot to crawl around on purpose to "re-trigger" monster using default MH crapped way... but because I was playing well I did not think at default possible issues - so player is in charge at this point.
So to speak by testing it ON-LINE (I slap my face myself if I don't have a bit of Net code in my Levels) and in "hot" moments of battling I got 500+ channels used (using a MapVote, Server-Actors, Server-Adds ) simulating a normal server (No Nexgen/ASC from any kind)... and for me 10,0000 pawns spawned are not an option... Garbage Collector takes an age at end of such match, and even crashing game/server.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by OjitroC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:03 am

sektor2111 wrote: What MH version are you playing ? ...
You're right of course - I see I was originally playing MH503 but have now switched to MH504 and all the Bosses are holding weapons though, as you say, it can be hard to see them.

By mix of weapons I meant that, as one progresses, one needs a number of the weapons found in the earlier zones of the map - so, for example, a flak cannon for close quarters or for lobbing flak shells over obstacles; a rapid fire gun for close/medium range such as the minigun or stinger; an eightball and a rifle for longer range, etc. To acquire these again when killed, the player has to visit zones already cleared and, as one progresses through the map, this can be a little tedious. So really the suggestion is for a couple more weapons on the later levels/zones and some armour, as Red_Fist said.

Having said that, I've played the map right through a couple of times already (without bots but with health regeneration) and it is good fun with nicely varied enviornments and enemies. I do think some of the corridors from the teleporters into the rooms are too short and too narrow, especially the one with the UTFlakers - and the garden with the ASMDOfficers could do with some obstacles to provide cover for players/bots, as the Skaarj are difficult to spot amongst the foliage and so difficult to deal with - still that does make for a challenge.

Something which may have nothing to do with the map but the Automag Akimbo 'thing' doesn't work with MH504, unlike with MH503.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by sektor2111 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 am

OjitroC wrote:Automag Akimbo
I've destroyed Akimbo in 504 because... I never loved these, even enforcer originally done by Epic is not that right as supposed. When people are doing crap which is far from a finished stage I will not continue their messed up idea wasting weeks for one thing. Automag do seems to still do funky things - one of map goals was testing stuff for newer MH versions - extended troopers holding weapons in order to figure if these might still have issues - and they have... At least in 503 I don't expect too much Voodoo Magic but... by not using "mutators" I could see all troopers armed with no single flaw at this point - only console does crap - as shown in read-me file because of super duper oldskool codes imported in MH503 and not fixed at all...

As for current map I don't get a single point for weaponry problems. Let me explain how do I play. After unlocking several doors I often go to number 4 and 5 for getting Eightball and Flak, the rest are useless for me, in metal box room you might be dying fast, why to collect weapons and then dying in 4 seconds ? What's the point ? Rooms are small so getting some 2 favorite weapons takes under 1 minute. For ASMDOfficers zone I simply don't pick up nothing else than Biorifle from start - yeah, Biorifle. I go through teleporter with weapon loaded and releasing a Big Gel around 2-3 Officers. As a matter of fact if hit is a good one this weapon is capable of doing 600+ splashed damage (checked with ShowDamage mutator by Gust). I die but I take 2 or 3 down with me. After such a few entrances I can breath relaxing with ASMDBoss. There is nothing special, just dying and killing and fighting as in that UT game... If game is too easy I think map can be finished by a player before to be downloaded by other 2 ones attempting to join, LOL - and then really makes no sense - Did you think at this ?

A mention related to these old weapons... I think I have an idea about making them Net ready without those ClientBullshitingFire functions (as I did with some saber crapped up), simply a weapon needs a few lines and not being a TournamentWeapon - but nobody takes this in account. XCMH is based on Higor's recommendations, so all replacements are configurable in INI file and not hard-coded. Such an update conformed to 503 is not that much advisable because things might go in trash breaking maps... this is another story...

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by OjitroC » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 pm

sektor2111 wrote:... There is nothing special, just dying and killing and fighting as in that UT game... If game is too easy I think map can be finished by a player before to be downloaded by other 2 ones attempting to join, LOL - and then really makes no sense - Did you think at this ?
Again you're right of course - I haven't thought of your method of dealing with the ASMDOfficers, though I did use the Biorifle to lob gel over the boxes in some of the other zones. I think the more familiar one becomes with the map, then one can concentrate on collecting the right weapons for dealing with each zone.

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by sektor2111 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:03 am

Good... Now I have to think at Next map... Stock stuff, more MyLevel ? Stock is poorly coded and some things goes annoying, or... doing 2 in 1 things: some old weapons a la myself (net code included) and these implemented in map as a test purpose for A.I. (both monsters and Bots), or heck... even testing some Navigation... hmm - I have a whole lack of inspiration at scenarios...

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1549
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by Red_Fist » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:30 pm

What about that Grania map ?
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
Posts: 4223
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Some MH Requests ? - Map Done

Post by sektor2111 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Ha ha I might be interested for a resize. Tracing in such open area is not for UE1. When more craps are about to fly around I'm not sure how smoother will be all action.
When I'm speaking about resize, technically I will stay with 2 Editor copies open and rebuilding a new Level from 0 point looking at original, with areas in a good visual range, where all Engine Devs are working smoother - I'm thinking... because such a map is not really my style of game-play and I intend to add it in playing repository so it has to match my tastes as first goal. But if you have some nice idea... I will setup some monsters (done by good people not farts hosted here and there).

As a mapping request goal I think I'm gonna compile all my sh!t stuff for mapping in a single package for being MyLevel ready with no compilation needed (good for default MH mapping which is doing sucks at compiling new things). I have only to think at important things (Bot_Sad, Bot_Runner, Bot_Hunter, Bot_Jumper, HuntNode, PowerNode, ZoneNode, etc.) the rest of imports are easy as pie (if are properly coded). Of course, by adding some big monster pack not everything might be good - if some resources are named identically things can be turned in some useless trash... which is not what I wanna share or use...

User avatar
Gustavo6046
Inhuman
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:08 pm
Personal rank: Finite
Contact:

Re: Some MH Requests ?

Post by Gustavo6046 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 pm

EvilGrins wrote:Same request as always...
NEW MONSTERS!!!!
I was interested on doing some dragon, but maybe not, I should look at something else for inspiration. At least now I can import models into Unreal :D

Post Reply