Jumpboots for monsters

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Hitman
Adept

Jumpboots for monsters

Post by Hitman »

Is there, or why cant monsters pick jumpboots and use them ? would be fun tho :twisted:
Last edited by Hitman on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Jumboots in MH

Post by Red_Fist »

I could be wrong but the gametype designates (and other hard coded things) that pawns are not players, I assume only "players" can use a jumpboot.

So probably, maybe, one of those mods or mutators that let you play as a pawn, type of thing, but then reprogram that mod with jumpboots in mind. :noidea
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:I assume only "players" can use a jumpboot.
Yes, bIsPlayer must be true, see Inventory.uc, state Pickup, function ValidTouch():

Code: Select all

// Validate touch, and if valid trigger event.
function bool ValidTouch( actor Other ) {
	local Actor A;

if( Other.bIsPawn && Pawn(Other).bIsPlayer && (Pawn(Other).Health > 0) && Level.Game.PickupQuery(Pawn(Other), self) )
	{
		if( Event != '' )
			foreach AllActors( class 'Actor', A, Event )
				A.Trigger( Other, Other.Instigator );
		return true;
	}
	return false;
}
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Red_Fist wrote:I could be wrong but the gametype designates (and other hard coded things) that pawns are not players, I assume only "players" can use a jumpboot.
The military skaarj can pick up weapons, shield belts, and other armor.

While I don't know if they'd use them, has anyone ever bothered to test if military skaarj they can pick up jumpboots?
Attachments
Shot0025.png
Shot0025.png (101.74 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Might work, but not the sniper guy or the gunners, when they pick up a weapon they change into a pawn. I wonder if the mercenaries work
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

That's simple to load some "JumpBoots" but I think internal code does nothing to monster - but might be rewritten a bit. Also I think people who not play often MH, doesn't know that already randomly monsters have a sudden acceleration on Z axis and they might fall away into an unreachable zone. If such monster is under a counter it heads to a broken map :lol2: .

Now the useless thing thought :mrgreen: :
For making a monster to jump very high you can simple adjust JumpZ as jumpBoots does configurable in SetPawnDifficulty. There is not need to load other actors and stuff for no purpose. The rest: 800 creatures + 500 MonsterBoots = 1300 Actors - not gonna compute required channels for this fun which is not fun when everything is warping...

The cherry: I know maps where monster will have attack problems if JumpZ goes higher because of geometry, I have experimented these jumps so I went to a normal scaling.

Another way is like "Strong Monster" mutators - from time to time screw their JumpZ, Probably they will have a better navigation here and there...

Self strike:
In maps which I do and play, Areas are not that "tall" so any jump type is mainly useless (3072 is a bless for me) - I'm doing these maps on purpose for my style of play. Also I'm not planing any future work with rooms bigger on Z axis more than 1024, even staying at 512, 256. In last map which I'm working I was using some 768 because... I have some tree in a garden (probably is a real garden_of_death, btw...). Also there is a Boss monster in one of rooms firing a cannon with boulders to players direction while gunners are keeping player busy. The freak triggers cannon, run away, comes back, fire at player normally and looping like that. I believe I must think at more such features...
Red_Fist wrote:Might work, but not the sniper guy or the gunners, when they pick up a weapon they change into a pawn. I wonder if the mercenaries work
:what: I think THEY are Pawns all TIME.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

The snipers for sure are players until they grab the rifle spawned next to them.
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

I can't even remember I seen a monster do jump, only skrarij do some tiny hops :D
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Too bad, even a fat ass Brute when is around others grouped in a bunch at a moment might fly around 1000+UU when is getting multiple boosts from others from group - not often indeed but happens.
Did I said that monster doesn't have air control like Bot and obviously is like a lousy rock dropped falling ? I'm one of those hunters which I don't need this type of creatures. Another sample is BoomBoomBridge type maps, if they are dodging to high they fly in lava. In my old times I used redeemer for boosting even titans out of bridge - and some noob asked me how did I kill all those monsters - answer: with my weapons and their stupid cute habits - that simple.
Of course these are my options, you can do whatever you need with them.
Else I might have another proposal: Spawn some Skaarj at each 3 monsters armed with SuperShockRifle or... InstantRemoverII aka bEightball :mrgreen: , that would be priceless... and I'm utterly interested about such a challenge.
Red_Fist wrote:The snipers for sure are players until they grab the rifle spawned next to them.
I solved this problem 3 years ago if I'm not mistaking - and I can attack them again if I have to. At this point Sk_Godz which I do - in hoping to find more inspiration with hunting rooms will be based exclusively on SKAARJ - all known and less known types, the mostly holding weapons and being cute even in Default MH known for crap at Skaarj chapter. Probably time has come to show some MH work and long as people doesn't seems to fix their mods - solution is fixing MH using map itself, even in a plain MH server - is doable is all I have to say.
The hint for topic: A Pawn SubClass in this UT game can be loaded with some Inventory any time without any rocket science even if is a bIsPlayer one or is not a bIsPlayer. Sample of such code ? Yes, Botpack as it is. For extra info I loaded once a Mercenary with a weapon due to a string confusion with SkaarjMercenary used somewhere, so even a Cow can have a weapon but it doesn't have code for using it and neither to show it properly...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I am going to try a test map with mercs or a few others, I wonder if they can even collect them as a pickup. Pretty sure none will work.

seems like those mercs do things that others don't I am talking about the green blood guys who use the shield effect.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Monster is not collecting pickups (but might be hackish - combined with an alarm, property changer, etc). In exchange, Monster can be loaded on demand. Monster loaded might have a fingerprint for not being loaded twice. I'm talking about some MH mutators which nobody is doing, everything must go at player and nothing at monster - as usual for a nice 0 skill game.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Nope, no way gonna try and do that LoL the merc did not pickup the boots, the skaarjsniper did, but they don't jump, even using jumpspot. liftexits.

The quickest alternative would be to use kickers and set the class name for the scriptedpawn you want, along with bot paths.
and for some damn reason the stupid skaarjsniper never grabbed the rifle but still attacked me, sooooo WTF :noidea

This stuff won't work if I wanted to, and works when I don't think it will. grrrrrrrrrrrr
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

SkaarjSniper becomes a bIsPlayer but Mercenary need a BOOST for that because it doesn't do any lousy thing as Skaarj does - like I said, THIS is hackish for non Skaarj types. Of course bIsPlayer without a PlayerReplicationInfo will spam crap everywhere - as long as monsters don't have it.
But JumpBoots for sure are addressing players Not Non-Players, and... Jumper is addressing monsters with a direct Jump - yeah I used that and even I did stuff for Bots based on Jumper - no, I lie, I did more stuff for Bots Jumper based.

As for their failed pickup, for 100 times, Botpack starts game Speed 2-3 times mooing at timer. Then comes MonsterHunt goofing. Skaarj spawns Rifle but MonsterHunt replaces that instantly with OLRifle - Did you people ever get what does a replacement with Skaarj ? For sure NO. Weapon is touching Skaarj - Question: Which weapon ? IT was replaced right a blink ago because MonsterHunt doesn't use Rifle, IT IS OLRIFLE which is not part of Skaarj's inventory. But this is known for more than 10 years and... I did not see anyone coming with a good solution, so I did it in my own way. Me whatever mapper coder how can I check that weapon ? By using a single default Skaarj in a map and then at start input command repeatedly "cheatview Weapon" (or another class). Now see if you ever do have spawned a Rifle in MH. Rifle is NONE, is OLRifle which Is Not instructed by Skaarj to Touch it.

As for game Speed thing, when I did a MH2 starting game speed ONCE, something has changed timings and my fixing log got vanished, simply skaarj was working normally, I GUESS, weapon being faster was touching skaarj using native's pickup state.
This game speed deal is not doable in original MonsterHunt - Not without replacefunction from XCGE.

For mapping part: My fix goes to a fast Pawn Looping doing a simple test. All Troppers are checked for "S.Weapon". If exist unarmed ones load nearby weapon - ANY - else, SKAARJOFFICER will load MonsterHunt.OLRAZORJACK not OLRAJORJACK. So everyone is happy now. These checks are done by an actor implemented in map (and even more) see my 3072 map and look for a class called "SomeActor" right nearby PlayerStarts. By using such a toy you'll have Skaarj holding weapons, that simple.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

On my test map I don't think it was the MH version, I didn't check what I have for gametype.

I think I see what you mean, if I remember on my MH I made the sniperskaarj new actor so it picked up the old rifle as default weapon, otherwise they follow you around like total dorks getting in your face like they wanted to fight but just get in the way.

so my test map must have not been the MH version. I just need to try it again. But the kicker would work great and not rely on jumpspots with impact hammers, for DM or other gametypes.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Impacthammer and jumpBots are making each of them a triad with Bot (Inventory, navigationPoint, Bot Seeker). JumpSpot has nothing to do with monsters. Do a map with alarms and put some route through a Jumpspot to some alarm, log will say (like In Electrolyte map if you know it :wink: )

Code: Select all

No path to alarm
JumpSpot is rejecting ALL seekers which are not Bots - until you will replace that thing with a custom one...