Crucified Nali

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Crucified Nali

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello everyone....
I was wondering if you are able to kill a crucified nali with a mover? The Mover is a swinging blade that is activated by a switch (trigger). The blade kills me when I get hit by it but not the nali and I'm not sure what the settings should be. Any help is greatly appreciated ....thanks!
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: Crucified Nali

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Loose Cannon wrote:Hello everyone....
I was wondering if you are able to kill a crucified nali with a mover? The Mover is a swinging blade that is activated by a switch (trigger). The blade kills me when I get hit by it but not the nali and I'm not sure what the settings should be. Any help is greatly appreciated ....thanks!
NaliCarcass > Advanced > bMovable = False; (If it is movable it can be pushed away, even if bPushable is set to false)
Mover > Mover > MoverEncroachType = ME_CrushWhenEncroach.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:
Loose Cannon wrote:Hello everyone....
NaliCarcass > Advanced > bMovable = False; (If it is movable it can be pushed away, even if bPushable is set to false)
Mover > Mover > MoverEncroachType = ME_CrushWhenEncroach.
I have those setting for each, but it's still not killing the Nali. I can shoot him, but the swinging mover blade won't kill him.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:[The mover is] still not killing the Nali. I can shoot him, but the swinging mover blade won't kill him.
Try setting Mover's property EncroachDamage.
(What I have found is that setting MoverEncroachType does not even kill Bots.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Barbie wrote:
Loose Cannon wrote:[The mover is] still not killing the Nali. I can shoot him, but the swinging mover blade won't kill him.
Try setting Mover's property EncroachDamage.
(What I have found is that setting MoverEncroachType does not even kill Bots.)
Yep, tried that too Barbie. I've played with the encroach type/damage, set the numbers high, etc. It's weird that you can shoot and kill the crucified Nali, but can't kill it with a mover.
Christ
Novice

Re: Crucified Nali.

Post by Christ »

Coding could do the trick. Make the trigger that activates the blade also trigger a timer, and when the time's up, just activate the Nali's death, to the viewer it will look like the Mover did it but it's just the code.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Found and fixed the issue in a way. In short: A Mover is calling a function that is only implemented for PlayerPawn.

Long description: if a Mover touches an Actor, the engine calls Mover's function EncroachingOn(actor Other). If Mover's EncroachType is set to ME_CrushWhenEncroach, Other.KilledBy(Instigator) is called - that function is in fact defined in Actor, but empty there. Only PlayerPawn implements this function:

Code: Select all

function KilledBy(pawn EventInstigator) {
	Health = 0;
	Died( EventInstigator, 'Suicided', Location );
}
This also explains why a crushing Mover does not hurt Bots.

Solutions: either implement KilledBy() for all Pawns - but that sounds like a hard job.^^
Or use a custom mover and implement Pawn's death there:

Code: Select all

function bool EncroachingOn(actor Other) {
	if (MoverEncroachType == ME_CrushWhenEncroach && Pawn(Other) != None) { // Kill *Other*
		Pawn(Other).Health = 0;
		Pawn(Other).Died(Instigator, 'Suicided', Other.Location );
		return false;
	}
	return super.EncroachingOn(Other);
}
Test map with a custom LoopMover is attached.

<EDIT>
If you want to use this custom Mover, you can use this way to apply it to your map:
  1. Open your map in UnrealEd.
  2. In UnrealEd's Actor Browser right click at Actor>Brush>Mover>LoopMover and select "New..."
  3. Enter "MyLevel" as package name and for example "LoopMoverEx" as class name.
  4. Copy above function EncroachingOn to the end of the code window and choose Tools>Compile Changed
  5. Close code window if compiling was successful.
  6. Select your LoopMover and choose Edit>Cut.
  7. Open a text editor (Notepad or NotePad++ for example) and choose Edit>Paste.
  8. Replace "Class=LoopMover" with "Class=LoopMoverEx" (or whatever class name you have chosen in step 3).
  9. Go back to UnrealEd and choose Edit>Paste.
</EDIT>
Attachments
TestPawnCrushingMoverV2.7z
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote:This also explains why a crushing Mover does not hurt Bots.
VERY FALSE ?
I kill Bots/Monsters with Movers all time if they are morons camping under Lifts - MY DEFAULT SETUP. Do you need a memory refresh? It's called 3072 :lol2: , that old MH504 from 2014 also is capable of setting up evil Movers, code is identical with MH2 which I'm using - and it's being posted already... If mover is crapped by Mapper that's another story, a bad setup is not Mover's fault, and CrucifiedNali cannot be "Killed" because it's not Pawn, but I think it can be... damaged by something - that something is called MyLevel. If I'm thinking well I'm guessing I know other maps where AltScoring went to insane value when a Mover triggered killed a Titan :lol: making a mess in Scoreboards. To summarize, we can stop making life harder than it has to be because warm water has been already invented - YOU DON'T NEED other Mover, except the case when you need WeyScript from DM-Falkenstein which was stupidly ruined into a MH "map" with the same title :loool: because that portation is more like a general failure with HOM effects and BSP barriers.
Reminder:
Not everything from a Level works like it's seen with eyes - Catapult from AS-Mazon is a sample of some real events, a copy translated into mapping idea for UE1, we speak about cute tweaks making things to look realistic...
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I usually just shoot the crucified Nali.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Isn't there a way to use a special event, make em splat when the blade comes down ?
Binary Space Partitioning
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

...wth are you all even talking about? I wrote that solution cause I tested it and it works... how is it that it doesn't work to you all?
Proof:
CrucifiedNali_Crushed.unr
(27.5 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
the NaliPriest is the one with bMovable set to False.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote:
Barbie wrote:This also explains why a crushing Mover does not hurt Bots.
VERY FALSE ?
Just try it out: set EncroachType=ME_CrushWhenEncroach, keep EncroachDamage at the default value of 0 and let a Bot cross Mover's way - he won't die. Only EncroachDamage!=0 will hurt the Bot.
sektor2111 wrote:CrucifiedNali cannot be "Killed" because it's not Pawn
I did not read careful: CrucifiedNali is a sub class of Decoration, not of Pawn, so my above solution for killing Pawns is not targeting Loose Cannon's problem.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Have you seen 3072 ? Other "FixMover" things ? Lemme guess - NO. And yes, if you want a bad ass mover, EncroachDamage is not 0 - EVER.
Not a single time I've pushed an annoying Bot under Mover and not a single time I triggered monster Boss at lift then boosting it back for being crushed... LOL... Pretty much easy 3072 regarding to shortcuts related complaints :lol2:.

Yes, Funky, Mover works properly - It just needs some love and bad people don't have love in their blood :lol2: .

CrucifiedNali is a carcass which if gets a strong damage it will be gibed in pieces, NOT KILLED. As I can recall Carcass code even if mover wouldn't work I could create other spectacular gibing based on Carcass properties...
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas. I've attached a sample of what I'm looking for.
Attachments
CrucNali.unr
(53.07 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:I've attached a sample of what I'm looking for.
Oh, that was easy: just move Crucified Nali so that its collision cylinder is in Mover's way or expand collision radius of Crucified Nali.
(How to display the collision cylinder)
Attachments
CrucNali.jpg