Bot Naming

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Bot Naming

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello everyone.
Is it possible to name a bot through the actor classes? For example I open up the actor class browser and go to pawn, Human bot, etc... then I just change the skins of the Bots to my liking. Then during gameplay it just labels them as "player" and I don't see anywhere in the bots properties that you can change to a specific name.... is it possible?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Bot Naming

Post by JackGriffin »

Do yourself a huge favor and find Jafo's bot editor. Spend 30 minutes playing with it then profit from your extensively tweaked bots.
http://members.chello.nl/~r.dautzenberg/news.html

You *will* thank me, I assure you.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Thanks for the link, but this program is so buggy. I get error codes all the time "access violation", and not very user friendly...still can't figure how to import a bot for editing.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

...or you could create new skin inf files with all your edits in.
(I do hope you haven't been overwriting your original files)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Not quite sure what exactly it is you want to do - can you give a little more detail? (I assume that you want to do more than simply alter the classes, skins, names, etc of the default 32 bots through Start Practice Session > Bots > Number of Bots > Configure)
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If is about Bot implemented in map this is not the best idea and there are not many things helping that much... Bot loaded by DM is properly passing all initialization stages, a Bot from map need a bit of "support" else is being called "Player"...
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

OjitroC wrote:Not quite sure what exactly it is you want to do - can you give a little more detail? (I assume that you want to do more than simply alter the classes, skins, names, etc of the default 32 bots through Start Practice Session > Bots > Number of Bots > Configure)
I'm not altering the bots from a practice session listed under the bots tab (which is pretty obvious and easy to do). I've put created some bots in certain areas of my map where they don't move around a lot (for example in a prison cell). I opened up the actor class browser, clicked on actor, pawn, bot, human bot plus, female bot plus, Tfemale2bot. I then used different multi skins to make the bot the way I want it to look. Everything is fine except during gameplay it just says "player" when you see this bot. I was just wondering if you are able to change the name of the bot instead of it just saying "player". You would think this would be a simple change in the Tfemale2bot's properties, but I don't see an option.
Forum|User
Experienced

Post by Forum|User »

He talking about this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5450
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote: I've put created some bots in certain areas of my map where they don't move around a lot (for example in a prison cell).
If they should not fight nor hunt anyone it is maybe a better idea to create a custom Actors which are just doing some animations and/or sounds. (Example: Nali Ghost or Trophy Dude.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Forum|User wrote:He talking about this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5450
Another dumb tutorial. Whoever is doing this, he did not see what log file says, or is blindly releasing manure in community. Bot added in map is spamming errors - is unarmed, not every admin is happy with such Level if pawn is not placed over some weapon around making it to fall instantly and loading it. In Team-Games actually is part of none of teams involved and the most of properties are screwed up - name included - not everything is based on skins, skins are trouble makers if are not done properly. Also there are CoopBots - I could see some stuff at Medor while I was looking for some decoration pawns (lol, I had them for years but Medor did not share them :mrgreen: or will link them around year 2040 when will figure package... and of course cube drawers doesn't know those things that much ) Bot is not Mapping stuff, Bot is meant for being spawned by Botpack/DeathMatchPlus root game, using normal way not embedded in Level - that's the primary idea to take in account.

For a smarty SP Map with whatever Dude locked in a prison, a decoration and a nice camera triggered are doing the task with no single issue - like Barbie said... else a custom pawn with a basic code like BiterfishSchool but without Biterfish is way better for simulating a dude walking in prison and using the right animations.