Can't add chunks??

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Can't add chunks??

Post by Loose Cannon »

Hello everyone,

When I go to actor class browser, decoration, carcass, creature carcass and try to add different chunks and body pieces, nothing shows up no matter where I try to place them.....any ideas why this is happening?.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: Can't add chunks??

Post by nogardilaref »

Depends on what you mean by "nothing shows up", and which chunks exactly you're using. Do you mean in the editor itself, or it disappears in-game?
Perhaps a small video or a step-by-step description would be best.
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

Doesn't matter if I am under UT chunks or creature chunks if I try to add an arm, a head, a leg, a torso, etc I right click where I want it and try to place the item like any other object in the actor class, but nothing shows up in the map at all. Nothing shows up in the editor or in game play
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

What does your editor logs say? Which is found at bottom. Did you try to find the chunk from that binocular button if it is already there?

Another way is to find a decoration called "knife". Find it and add it to the map. Then open it's properties and expand "Display" and assign a chunk mesh from the mesh browser. You will have to find different chunk meshes for that from the mesh browser.

The advantage is that chunks won't get destroyed no matter how many times you fire at them.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Loose Cannon wrote:When I [...] add different [...] pieces, nothing shows up
What does the log window say? Maybe there is not enough space (depends also of your grid size).
Also keep in mind that nearly (?) all carcasses have a limited default LifeSpan: if you play the map, you must hurry up to see the carcasses before they corrode... ;o)
Attachments
UnrealEd-Logwindow2.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Loose Cannon wrote:any ideas why this is happening?
There is no "idea", is chunk code. This stuff is part of gaming not mapping - a carcass gibed, something killed/telefraged, if you want in map a picture like a bloody battle trails do what Spectra/Rocky said.
You can use any static decoration (lamps, flags, knife, etc) which doesn't animate anything so mesh can be changed and even skin... Then you cannot really destroy them in game. Real chunks usually are destructible but are not intended to stay.
And here is how are default servers crashing post player login because CreatureChunks is a Carcass after all...

Code: Select all

state Dead 
{
	function Timer()
	{
		local bool bSeen;
		local Pawn aPawn;
		local float dist;

if ( Region.Zone.NumCarcasses <= Region.Zone.MaxCarcasses )
		{
			if ( !PlayerCanSeeMe() ) //Kill Windows Server with an empty connection
				Destroy();
			else
				SetTimer(2.0, false);	
		}
		else
			Destroy();
	}
Good luck !
As response at question from title: YES, you can add chunks but it might be useless...
Loose Cannon
Skilled

Post by Loose Cannon »

OK...so I just added a candle and changed its mesh and it seems to be fine. Very strange. Originally, I was able to add the body parts to my map. I placed about 4 of those body parts from the actor browser on a table and before I could rebuild and save the map, it crashed. When I reopened the map through the editor, I could no longer add any of the parts that worked before, hence my post. But thanks for the reminder that candles/knives work by changing the mesh.

Thanks again.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

So long, and thanks for all the fish